Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 03:12 PM

28 posts, read 52,847 times

Advertisements

I've recently talked to the chef/manager at ciao 2 and he said ciel is done for good. No new concept. They are also thinking on changing the concept of ciao 2 but its still up in the air. Other than that the place has really good but pricey food, just wrong location and ugly building.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2010, 03:26 PM

61,172 posts, read 85,998,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe01 View Post
Paciugo Gelato at the Village at Stone Oak closed...can eating places not named BJ's survive there?
That's sad I like Italian gelato. Wonder if they are still open on Basse location...

Old 02-03-2010, 04:24 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,803,565 times
Don't misunderstand me: When I say a 'Stone Oak' taste level, I don't mean that SO'ers are low-class, boobs. I'm simply referring to SO being the epicenter of suburbia here in San Antonio, which usually constitutes mass chain eateries, the traffic to support them and large family contingents to fill their booths.

It's tough to be freewheeling and fancy in a place like Stone Oak. Sure, there's money there to be snagged, but in my experience, it's not always the kind of money that knows the difference between The Roaring Fork and a unique spot that Vatel might open up.

Notice how I highlighted 'not always.' I'm not blanketing Stone Oak with this, but simply expressing some of what I saw for myself while I lived out there.

BN

Old 02-03-2010, 04:42 PM

330 posts, read 932,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas View Post
Don't misunderstand me: When I say a 'Stone Oak' taste level, I don't mean that SO'ers are low-class, boobs. I'm simply referring to SO being the epicenter of suburbia here in San Antonio, which usually constitutes mass chain eateries, the traffic to support them and large family contingents to fill their booths.

It's tough to be freewheeling and fancy in a place like Stone Oak. Sure, there's money there to be snagged, but in my experience, it's not always the kind of money that knows the difference between The Roaring Fork and a unique spot that Vatel might open up.

Notice how I highlighted 'not always.' I'm not blanketing Stone Oak with this, but simply expressing some of what I saw for myself while I lived out there.

BN
I think the real problem in this area, is the more than double rent that is charged for for space and most Stone Oaker's like my self and tired of paying the outrageous prices for food and gelatto. I do believe that we do know the differences in the food but resent the pricing just because we live in Stone Oak. IMO

Old 02-03-2010, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneoak View Post
Wow...really, our taste level is dictating what restaurants come into Stone Oak. I'd lean more towards the economy and definitely the poor layout and location of those Ciel and Ciao2 restaurants -- really, who puts restaurants at the BACK of a building where no one can see them???

But, sure, it could be our taste level. We Stone Oak-ians are, after all, the great and powerful Oz who control the universe. (Add maniacal laughter here) -- Oops -- let me install a happy face here know there are several who can't comprehend sarcasm unless a picture is attached.

Don't forget to mention pricing... I tried to give it a chance but really $15.00 for a 10 " pizza BTW I tried to rep ya but thay said I have to spread the love!

Old 02-03-2010, 04:53 PM

490 posts, read 1,090,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmac12 View Post
I do believe that we do know the differences in the food but resent the pricing just because we live in Stone Oak. IMO
I'm not sure that argument holds up here. Is Ciao 2 that more expensive than Ciao ?

Old 02-03-2010, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr57001 View Post
I'm not sure that argument holds up here. Is Ciao 2 that more expensive than Ciao ?

That, I am not sure of because I have only been to Ciao 2, twice as a matter of fact. On my second visit I got luke warm pasta,
mediocre at best and felt it was not worth the money. I do think a 10" pizza for $15 is a bit much afterall it's only pizza!

Old 02-03-2010, 05:52 PM

490 posts, read 1,090,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas View Post
*Thumbs Up*

Thanks for the heads up. With the slew of new chefs opening eateries faster than they should (paging Jason Dady),

BN
What do you think of the Two-Bros Market? I ate there on opening day and didn't even finish my meal..not good, have not been back.

Insignia was disappointing also, but I think we have covered that on this thread before.

Old 02-03-2010, 06:08 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,803,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pr57001 View Post
What do you think of the Two-Bros Market?
Frankly, I think that the only worthwhile Dady establishment is Tre and even Tre is getting a little pudgy around the middle. They need to redo the menu and revise against the new found competition of Il Sogno down the street.

What really left a bad taste in my mouth about Jason Dady was when emailing after a meal, letting him know just how terrible my experience was at Insignia, he responded with 'Wow...' and then didn't offer an apology, a solution or anything that resembled how an owner should act. He was flip and arrogant, as if he'd never heard a criticism of his work.

I just don't frequent his places anymore. Simple as that. From the looks of his newest restaurant (Insignia), it seems I'm not the only person not eating there. Lots of empty tables, night after night.

BN

Old 02-04-2010, 05:11 AM

2,027 posts, read 7,003,139 times
I can vouch for suburbanites frequenting chains over local establishments. I rarely venture outside my comfort circle of established chain restaurants and eat at only a handful of locally based restaurants. I have been known to visit a few decent local Mexican food joints. Why do you think intersections like Culebra/1604 and Bandera/1604 have nothing but chains?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio