Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2010, 10:09 PM

7 posts, read 14,280 times

Advertisements

Hello, I just moved to SA and I'm staying close by USAA office. I'm looking for a private school for my 31/3 year old son. I would prefer something nearby USAA. I do not want to send him to any day-care based preschool.
Please help me find a good school for my son.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 10:20 PM

592 posts, read 2,024,574 times
There is a real good program called suburban school but it is expensive.

Old 02-09-2010, 07:18 AM

437 posts, read 902,796 times
Saint Mary's Hall is a wonderful non-denominational school that takes students from ages 3 to 18. I taught mathematics in the Upper School for 11 years. I'd also recommend St George Episcopal (closer to USAA), but they start with kindergarten.

Old 02-09-2010, 09:14 AM

221 posts, read 561,950 times
Try the Discovery School its probably about a 10-15min drive from USAA....

Discovery School is an Accredited Preschool in San Antonio Texas :: Private Preschool, Kindergarten, 1st grade & Early Childhood Education. We also offer Mothers Day Out, after school care and Summer Camp.

Old 02-09-2010, 02:25 PM

Thank you all for the information. I will definitely add those schools in my shortlist. The suburban school web site was down. I will call them tomorrow.
Has anyone heard of Montessori International School? I couldn't find any review on that school.
I have heard a lot about Montessori Philosophy, and would surely consider a good Montessori school for my son.

Old 02-09-2010, 07:26 PM

49 posts, read 107,518 times
Default Montessori school

My son attends San Antonio Country Day School which is a Montessori school for preschool through sixth grade. We do like it, it's very small. He has only attended in upper elementary, so I have no personal experience with the preschool, but I have a friend who's child has been in the preschool and pre-K for a couple years and is very happy there. It's on the other side of town from USAA - off Bulverde Road inside 1604, though.

There is another Montessori school closer to you called Montessori School of San Antonio (previously Judson Montessori). It's a much bigger school with a real "campus" which is a little unusual for a Montessori school. It's also more expensive but it would be much closer to you - right at Rogers Ranch Parkway and 1604.

I don't know anything about MSI, in fact, I had never heard of it until you mentioned it, and we thought we had researched all the schools in town before we moved here. There are also a couple others but I think they would be farther away from you, too.

I am a huge fan of the Montessori philosophy and my son has attended schools both here and in Michigan. We have been VERY happy with how he has done. We have also homeschooled and are planning on doing that again, and we feel that Montessori is the closest thing you can get to homeschooling without actually doing it. If you are new to Montessori, make sure the school you are considering really follows the Montessori principles and doesn't just use the term to attract folks. One of the biggest things you can look for is Montessori-certified teachers.

Hope this helps!

Old 02-09-2010, 07:57 PM

Yes, we did visit Country Day School and we loved the place. It has that homey feeling we are looking for. But it took nearly 30 min for us to reach the school and so we ruled it out of our list
And MSS, they said we have to wait untill August to start ...

Old 02-16-2010, 06:50 PM

1 posts, read 2,157 times
It is really important that you feel completely at ease with whatever learning environment you choose for your child.

Old 02-19-2010, 03:05 PM

Thank You everyone for your help.
We just got our son admitted to 'Child Montessori'. We really liked the school and the staff (so far )
And though they are Montessori accredited, the fee they charge is less compared to other Montessori schools in this area, and quality of education looks good. It is a non-profit organisation. Wish him good luck

Old 11-14-2012, 02:23 PM

10 posts, read 25,867 times
I am exactly in the same situation as 'Anjr' was a couple of years ago. I would be moving to the USAA neighbourhood and looking for a good montessori in that area. After looking at this post i called 'Child Montessori' 3 times and left messages and none bothered to answer.
So after 2 yrs, do u still prefer Child Monte or did anyother school topped in your research.
Any input would be highly appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio