Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 07:11 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,399,779 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

We'll be moving to SA in October or November (hubby starts new job Oct 1 but we have to sell our place here in Houston before the kids and I can join him). He will be working at Lackland in a contractor position. We want to be in NISD as the schools are not only good, but the special education is most important. Our 4 year old has autism and is currently enrolled in PPCD here in our district. So, we're looking at neighborhoods zoned to schools that we feel or have heard are excellent with children who have special needs like our daughter's.

That said, these are the neighborhoods we really liked out of the 8 or so of which we looked. I hope you won't mind giving us your opinions or feedback if you have any experience with them. Thank you so much!

Legacy Trails (The Retreat or The Fairways)
Trophy Ridge (thinking about building here, actually...)
Braun Hollow (gated neighborhood off of Guilbeau and Tezel)
Braun Station (nice, older, established, and trees!)

Thanks for your input! Our budget is between $200K and $230K, so if you have any other suggestions please feel free to recommend!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2009, 07:16 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,820,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Hi everyone,

We'll be moving to SA in October or November (hubby starts new job Oct 1 but we have to sell our place here in Houston before the kids and I can join him). He will be working at Lackland in a contractor position. We want to be in NISD as the schools are not only good, but the special education is most important. Our 4 year old has autism and is currently enrolled in PPCD here at home. So, we're looking at neighborhoods zoned to schools that we feel or have heard are excellent with children who have special needs like our daughter's.

That said, these are the neighborhoods we really liked out of the 8 or so of which we looked. I hope you won't mind giving us your opinions or feedback if you have any experience with them. Thank you so much!

Legacy Trails (The Retreat or The Fairways)
Trophy Ridge (thinking about building here, actually...)
Braun Hollow (gated neighborhood off of Guilbeau and Tezel)
Braun Station (nice, older, established, and trees!)

Thanks for your input!
You may be aware of this already, but I'm pretty sure that some of the lots in Trophy Ridge are within city limits...and some aren't. If that matters to you...you'll have to research. People report that they like it there...the only thing that I can see being a problem, is that the entrance dumps right onto Potranco. Is there another entrance? I see that backed up sometimes when I have to go over to HEB.
You should do a "dry run" from each to determine commute time as well. Commute time could vary wildly, depending on location.
School starts Monday..that's when the going gets tough....and the tough, cry!! Hip Hip Hooray for "NO commute".

Old 08-22-2009, 07:21 PM

9,848 posts, read 13,687,247 times
My sister's husband grew up in Braun Station and I've been over there a few times and don't have a bad thing to say about it.

My only gripe about Legacy Trails and Trophy Ridge is that you'll be dealing with lots of growth and maybe even moving schools every once in a while with the kids (if that's an issue).

I think it just depends on if you like newer areas versus older areas. Both are within NISD so the schools won't be an issue at all. And you'll be close to shopping and entertainment, and all that good stuff as well. Good luck!

Old 08-22-2009, 07:47 PM

1,532 posts, read 3,698,172 times
We live in Trophy Ridge and we LOVE this neighborhood. I can't even begin to tell you how happy we are. We love the unique look of the craftsman style homes, we love the mature trees, the neighbors are all very friendly.

Some of the things I like are the location. The further north you get up 1604, the worse the traffic can be. I think Potranco/1604 area is not that bad traffic wise. Especially since you have the new shopping areas at Culebra (Alamo Ranch) and 151. It takes the traffic focus off of Pot/1604.

I also like that TR is located so far back off of Potranco and 1604. It's VERY quiet in our neighborhood. There are days when I sit in our back yard and can't believe how quiet it is! It's nice to just relax on our back patio and be able to hear each other and not the traffic that is all around.

We have an elementary school in our neighborhood, Forester (so your kids won't be moved from that school). There is also Stevens high school and Vale middle school that our neighborhood feeds into. I know Forester (the elem. school) has a huge program for kids with special needs. We are very happy with it for our son, who does not need the special programs. I have friends who do utilize their SN programs and are very happy with it. Also, we walk to school everyday. It's nice that it's right in our neighborhood and we have that opportunity.

I love that we have so many mature trees and that the neighborhood is a Certified Backyard Nature habitat. The neighborhood really encourages plants and trees and other things that will draw wild life into the neighborhood. I have seen many "critters" in our neighborhood which is kind of cool. I've seen hummingbirds, a coyote, even a little road runner the other day! He was really cute! I just like the natural feel of the neighborhood.

I have NEVER had a problem with the traffic out of HEB. I mean, MAYBE a 3-4 minute wait at the most. That doesn't happen often. We have a light there by the HEB. It's nice being so close to the stores and restaurants right there. Close enough that you can just walk or bike down on a nice day.

The pool and cabana area is really nice too. We even have a guard that sits there now to make sure the area teenagers aren't causing trouble at our pool. It has really helped with a few issues that you might see at neighborhood pools. It also seems like the HOA is always trying to keep up the grounds and keep up with the homeowners concerns.

There is just a really nice community feel to this neighborhood. They have neighborhood parties at the cabana all of the time for halloween, Christmas, Easter, etc. It's nice to go and meet your neighbors.

As far as a commute to Lackland, my husband works there and it takes him about 15-20 minutes to get to work depending on when he gets going in the morning. The earlier the better, but it's nice and close for him.

We bought our house that was pre-owned and have had a very good experience with it. If you have any other questions, please let me know. I would be more than happy to help you out!

Old 08-22-2009, 08:01 PM

434 posts, read 1,123,312 times
We came here a little over a year ago and looked at new construction first as we actually thought we wanted a new home. The short of the long is that one thing was missing and that was trees. Not some little twigs that will be a tree in 20 years but mature trees. We started looking at established areas and I fell in love with Braun Station so here we are. Very happy about our decision.

Old 08-22-2009, 09:57 PM

1,690 posts, read 3,616,148 times
Oh, you're the one over on the Houston forums. So you are leaving Houston :-(

I don't know any of those neighborhoods, are you going to be with Northside ISD?

Old 08-22-2009, 10:26 PM

1,366 posts, read 4,486,155 times
DM'd you...

Old 08-22-2009, 10:36 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,382,068 times
Does your husband know what his working hours will be? I personally would not want to commute from Braun anything if I had to leave after about 6:30 AM.. the ones down by Potranco will be a far better commute, but it can still be pretty rough if you have to leave after 6:30 - 7:00 when school is in. I've never lived anywhere that had such a huge difference in traffic between when school was in session and when it was out. The difference is insane here.
BTW, I'm a contractor on Lackland too

Old 08-22-2009, 11:09 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,399,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
You may be aware of this already, but I'm pretty sure that some of the lots in Trophy Ridge are within city limits...and some aren't. If that matters to you...you'll have to research. People report that they like it there...the only thing that I can see being a problem, is that the entrance dumps right onto Potranco. Is there another entrance? I see that backed up sometimes when I have to go over to HEB.
You should do a "dry run" from each to determine commute time as well. Commute time could vary wildly, depending on location.
School starts Monday..that's when the going gets tough....and the tough, cry!! Hip Hip Hooray for "NO commute".
Thanks firstclassflyer for posting. I am aware of it, but I am unsure as to what exactly that would mean for me as a homeowner. The taxes don't seem so different from one house in the limits to one outside, just sort of "rearranged" so to speak. Perhaps I'm wrong on that...not sure. I will have to do some more research. I think a "dry run" is a great idea and will definitely get DH to do that next time he is there, should be in another week or two. I am so excited about the potential for any commute less than an hour (which is what we have currently--sometimes longer!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojokitty View Post
We live in Trophy Ridge and we LOVE this neighborhood. I can't even begin to tell you how happy we are. We love the unique look of the craftsman style homes, we love the mature trees, the neighbors are all very friendly.

I also like that TR is located so far back off of Potranco and 1604. It's VERY quiet in our neighborhood. There are days when I sit in our back yard and can't believe how quiet it is! It's nice to just relax on our back patio and be able to hear each other and not the traffic that is all around.

We have an elementary school in our neighborhood, Forester (so your kids won't be moved from that school). There is also Stevens high school and Vale middle school that our neighborhood feeds into. I know Forester (the elem. school) has a huge program for kids with special needs. We are very happy with it for our son, who does not need the special programs. I have friends who do utilize their SN programs and are very happy with it. Also, we walk to school everyday. It's nice that it's right in our neighborhood and we have that opportunity.

I love that we have so many mature trees and that the neighborhood is a Certified Backyard Nature habitat. The neighborhood really encourages plants and trees and other things that will draw wild life into the neighborhood. I have seen many "critters" in our neighborhood which is kind of cool. I've seen hummingbirds, a coyote, even a little road runner the other day! He was really cute! I just like the natural feel of the neighborhood.

As far as a commute to Lackland, my husband works there and it takes him about 15-20 minutes to get to work depending on when he gets going in the morning. The earlier the better, but it's nice and close for him.

We bought our house that was pre-owned and have had a very good experience with it. If you have any other questions, please let me know. I would be more than happy to help you out!
Thank you so much for the information! I too like that it is set back, and it did seem awful quiet. We are just south of a very busy highway intersection in Houston-- the Sam Houston Tollway and I-10 west. It's a wonderful area, but sooo loud...I hate it. I liked that Trophy Ridge did have mature trees, that was a big plus for me.

I sent an email to the PPCD teacher at Forester, but have not heard anything back yet. I know they're busy getting ready for school. I'm hoping she can meet with us just to give us a tour the next time we're out there. It looked like a nice school and I am anxious to hear about the PPCD class. We have a very low student/teacher ratio (4-6 students for 1 teacher and 1 assistant) here at Bendwood in Houston, and I would not feel comfortable with any more than that. The school, ultimately, will be the bottom line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crittergal View Post
We came here a little over a year ago and looked at new construction first as we actually thought we wanted a new home. The short of the long is that one thing was missing and that was trees. Not some little twigs that will be a tree in 20 years but mature trees. We started looking at established areas and I fell in love with Braun Station so here we are. Very happy about our decision.
I so much like the look of the neighborhood! I like how involved the parents are with the elementary school, too. That is so important to me, gives me a good idea of the area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhugeliang1 View Post
Oh, you're the one over on the Houston forums. So you are leaving Houston :-(

I don't know any of those neighborhoods, are you going to be with Northside ISD?
Yep, Northside. We are leaving Houston! I am a little sad, but I am also looking forward to new adventures in my second favorite city in Texas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
Does your husband know what his working hours will be? I personally would not want to commute from Braun anything if I had to leave after about 6:30 AM.. the ones down by Potranco will be a far better commute, but it can still be pretty rough if you have to leave after 6:30 - 7:00 when school is in. I've never lived anywhere that had such a huge difference in traffic between when school was in session and when it was out. The difference is insane here.
BTW, I'm a contractor on Lackland too
His hours, I believe, are 7:30 to 4:30. I didn't really think about school zones, wow. It's not that bad here at all. We will have to consider that.

Thanks so much, y'all. We're really excited about the move.

Old 08-22-2009, 11:20 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,382,068 times
Well, he won't get lonely on the roads working those hours..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio