Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 06:36 PM

8 posts, read 14,128 times

Advertisements

Hello! My husband has a potential job offer in SA and I am looking for some information. Can anyone please help? Some background on us: I am from Phila and never even visited Texas. My husband is from Fort Worth and can't wait to go back to TX. We are in our late 20s/early 30s and want to start a family soon. We are former military and have lived in SC, NC, FL, and PA. We can't wait to get back to the south/warm weather.

1. DH would be working on SE Military Drive near the Walmart Super Center. Any advice on where to live? I am looking for a very safe, friendly area, with a commute less than 30 minutes (preferably off the highways). We would be looking to rent a 2bdrm house or apt. Unlike Philly where the bad areas are highly segregated, it seems that the bad areas of SA are not as clear cut. Safety is number one priority. Is $1,000/mo a reasonable expectation for rent?

2. I am in financial services and would need to job hunt asap. I know the economy is down everywhere but it seems TX is doing better than most states. Can anyone attest to the fin services industry in the area?

3. We will know absolutely no one in the area. Are people generally friendly? We will need friends!!

4. I do not know Spanish (but will want to learn!). Will this potentially hurt my job hunt?

5. Are there any rodeos/cowboys in SA? I imagine this will be a culture shock for me but I can't wait!!

6. What do you guys do for fun? In the summer, everyone here in PA flocks to the shore. Is there anything similar that people do in SA?

Sorry for all of the questions. Thanks so much for any help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2010, 06:47 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,781,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToTvl View Post
Hello! My husband has a potential job offer in SA and I am looking for some information. Can anyone please help? Some background on us: I am from Phila and never even visited Texas. My husband is from Fort Worth and can't wait to go back to TX. We are in our late 20s/early 30s and want to start a family soon. We are former military and have lived in SC, NC, FL, and PA. We can't wait to get back to the south/warm weather.
1. DH would be working on SE Military Drive near the Walmart Super Center. Any advice on where to live? I am looking for a very safe, friendly area, with a commute less than 30 minutes (preferably off the highways). We would be looking to rent a 2bdrm house or apt. Unlike Philly where the bad areas are highly segregated, it seems that the bad areas of SA are not as clear cut. Safety is number one priority. Is $1,000/mo a reasonable expectation for rent?
2. I am in financial services and would need to job hunt asap. I know the economy is down everywhere but it seems TX is doing better than most states. Can anyone attest to the fin services industry in the area?
3. We will know absolutely no one in the area. Are people generally friendly? We will need friends!!
4. I do not know Spanish (but will want to learn!). Will this potentially hurt my job hunt?
5. Are there any rodeos/cowboys in SA? I imagine this will be a culture shock for me but I can't wait!!
6. What do you guys do for fun? In the summer, everyone here in PA flocks to the shore. Is there anything similar that people do in SA?
Sorry for all of the questions. Thanks so much for any help!!

Since you've already answered one of MY questions,take a look through the relocation index here:

//www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...index-san.html

That should answer some of yours. Good luck and welcome.

Old 02-15-2010, 06:51 PM

9,843 posts, read 13,585,668 times
Check this thread out it should answer most of your questions: //www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...index-san.html

I'm not sure what your housing needs are (do you want suburban or urban...you can find both within 30 minutes of that area).

As far as the job hunt and being in the financial industry check out places like USAA, Chase and Wells Fargo. They all have large hubs in the SA area (USAA is headquartered here).

You will not, I repeat will not, need to know Spanish to get along well here. Please ignore the one poster who asks it. It's beyond ridiculous.

Yes there are rodeos (we're actually in the mist of our big annual rodeo). However, we are not like Dallas and the Lubbock, Abilene area where you'll see more cowboy hats than flip-flops. I honestly once was asked if I rode a horse to school when I moved from here to Wisconsin. We are not like that in San Antonio (although you may find one or two people who do that in small parts of the state).

For the summer we are all about the rivers and outdoor activities. We have several lakes and rivers within the area within a 30 minute to 2 hour drive that people love visiting.

Old 02-15-2010, 07:06 PM

18,044 posts, read 25,080,159 times
Quote:
I'll share with you one of the culture shocks that I got coming from Missouri.
I know a cowboy with a southern accent, drives a Volkswagen and every now and then says a few words in Spanish.

Add to that all the people that speak "spanglish", I understand everything they say, but I find it annoying.

Old 02-15-2010, 07:54 PM

Thanks so much for the responses. I'm going through the relocation thread...there is a lot of information!

Ashbeeigh, we are looking for a suburban area but not too far removed from the city. Having access to nice malls/shopping is important. I am a city girl but hubby is country. We need a compromise!! My husband mentioned converse. I really liked the idea of the areas to the north but I think they will be too far from his job. He doesn't want to fight tons of traffic every day.

His second interview is tomorrow so we should have a better idea of whether this is really going to happen. I am getting nervous.

Old 02-15-2010, 07:56 PM

9,843 posts, read 13,585,668 times
Quote:

His second interview is tomorrow so we should have a better idea of whether this is really going to happen. I am getting nervous.
That relocation thread should help. I've got my fingers crossed for y'all! Good luck!

Old 02-15-2010, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Add to that all the people that speak "spanglish", I understand everything they say, but I find it annoying.
I am wondering how I will feel to hear Spanish every day. I hate not understanding what people around me are saying!! Some places in Florida were like that and I would get frustrated because it almost felt like a club I wasn't invited to!

Old 02-15-2010, 08:23 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,068,103 times
LovetoTvl: Check out the apartments on La Hacienda near the intersection of the Wal Mart / SE Military Drive. They are newer apartments in your price range.
As for financial services opportunities, don't overlook the local credit unions: Security Service, Firstmark, Randolph Brooks, Generations, etc.

Old 02-15-2010, 08:26 PM

1,220 posts, read 2,669,506 times
As a native, I promise you will be fine not knowing Spanish. The only time I feel frustrated with not understanding a language is when I get a mani/pedi in an Asian salon!!!!

Old 02-15-2010, 09:00 PM

18,044 posts, read 25,080,159 times
Quote:
I am wondering how I will feel to hear Spanish every day. I hate not understanding what people around me are saying!! Some places in Florida were like that and I would get frustrated because it almost felt like a club I wasn't invited to!
Try to see the positive side and enjoy the food
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio