Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 04:56 AM

615 posts, read 1,519,267 times

Advertisements

My wife and I narrowed down the list of Subdivisions and houses last night. I see there is already a thread up on gated communities... but I wanted to know what the Subdivision lifestyle is like?

Is it really a community? Do folks interact with each other on a normal basis? What about crime in the gated communities?

Secondly, are we allowed to include a list of subdivisions that we're interested for feedback? I didn't want to post the list in here and get my post edited.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 06:30 AM

915 posts, read 1,899,311 times
There are "gated communities" and then there are "gated communities". Every cheesy low-end builder from here to CA has thrown largely unmanned gates in front of entry-level tract homes. The gates don't change the neighborhood, but rather tract size, neighborhood design, community amenities, and the interests and demographics of the residents.

Sense of community will vary subdivision to subdivision or even street to street. It is a constantly changing dynamic based on who moves in and out. From experience, families in Elm Creek (with kids of the same age) were fairly close. In the Dominion, next door neighbors & children are friends, but the place is so big that you can't know everyone.

If you provide the neighborhoods, I'm sure someone here can way in.

Old 02-23-2010, 06:45 AM

What are the thoughts on Springwood? There's also a house right off of Bulverde road north of Stone Oak pkway.

The other houses are scattered between Selma, Converse, Bexar... about 12-15 minutes from the Airport.

Old 02-23-2010, 07:16 AM

4,145 posts, read 10,404,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebtx View Post
There are "gated communities" and then there are "gated communities". Every cheesy low-end builder from here to CA has thrown largely unmanned gates in front of entry-level tract homes. The gates don't change the neighborhood, but rather tract size, neighborhood design, community amenities, and the interests and demographics of the residents.

Sense of community will vary subdivision to subdivision or even street to street. It is a constantly changing dynamic based on who moves in and out. From experience, families in Elm Creek (with kids of the same age) were fairly close. In the Dominion, next door neighbors & children are friends, but the place is so big that you can't know everyone.

If you provide the neighborhoods, I'm sure someone here can way in.
True. Some of the nicest communities in town are non-gated. The gates give people a false sense of security. Especially the unmanned gates. Most of the time there's random, petty crime, it's some punk kid in the neighborhood. Drive the neighborhoods at night and you'll see what you need to know. Talk to the neighbors too.

Old 02-23-2010, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
True. Some of the nicest communities in town are non-gated. The gates give people a false sense of security. Especially the unmanned gates. Most of the time there's random, petty crime, it's some punk kid in the neighborhood. Drive the neighborhoods at night and you'll see what you need to know. Talk to the neighbors too.
Well, the wife is flying out in the middle of march and will be looking at houses during the 2 days she is there. We are narrowing our list down now, so that we only have 10 or so houses to pick from.

Coming from the Northeast where there isn't many gated communities at all, they seem nice from the outside on the Googlemap Streetview. I don't care if they're tacky as some say on the boards here. They appeal to me.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:51 AM

2,649 posts, read 7,421,782 times
I have to warn you that 99.999% of gated subdivsions will have mandatory HOAs. From your previous posts I wouldn't think a mandatory HOA would appeal to you. Like Kev said, only a few of the nicest areas have gates, most don't need them.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smuboy86 View Post
I have to warn you that 99.999% of gated subdivsions will have mandatory HOAs. From your previous posts I wouldn't think a mandatory HOA would appeal to you. Like Kev said, only a few of the nicest areas have gates, most don't need them.
Yeah I've been looking at that, and it makes me .....

All I need is a person on the HOA with a power trip to make things hellish. I like the enforcement of cleaned yards, etc... but some people can make ridiculous rules as well.

For instance the guy who had a flagpole up in his yard, and the HOA demanded he take it down? Wow.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:57 AM

2,649 posts, read 7,421,782 times
Well you also pay HOA fees, if you live in a gated community, you pay for the roads, and the gates. This is in addition to city/ county property taxes.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:05 AM

I would assume that if I were renting, which I plan to, that would be included in the monthly rent.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:40 AM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,718,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verio View Post
Yeah I've been looking at that, and it makes me .....

All I need is a person on the HOA with a power trip to make things hellish. I like the enforcement of cleaned yards, etc... but some people can make ridiculous rules as well.

For instance the guy who had a flagpole up in his yard, and the HOA demanded he take it down? Wow.
Look at some of the postings in this thread. This group has all kinds of fun

//www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...westcreek.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio