Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 02:34 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,412,134 times

Advertisements

Interesting. I dated a guy who moved temporarily to Mexico because he couldn't get into a medical school here. He said it was an American school operating in Mexico.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2010, 10:00 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,490,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meisha210 View Post
Interesting. I dated a guy who moved temporarily to Mexico because he couldn't get into a medical school here. He said it was an American school operating in Mexico.
That also helps with the point. Medical School is the only kind of school where Americans often have to leave the US in search of entry. Other (and probably harder) subjects at the terminal level (such as various Science and Engineering subjects) while often competitive for admission, have all the slots in the world (and can create them)

Medical Schools have a finite number of slots (about 17,000 a year) and to get in, being "good" is not enough. You have to be impressive. Very hard working and high performing students get turned down all the time.

The foreign schools are not really "American" schools, that is they exist for though. Many of them are legitimate but the drawback is getting a competitive US residency.

Graduating from Medical School gives you the title but a residency gives you the license and specialty (that is oversimplified) Your Residency also dictates if you are going to be a million dollar a year Surgeon or a 100K a year Family Doc. If you did not go to Medical School in the US, you have much lower chances of getting a good Residency and you may not get a Residency at all.

Old 10-14-2010, 01:14 PM

2 posts, read 7,718 times
Hello all, and thanks for all the feedback! I've been traveling quite a bit and have been off-line for a long time and am just now getting back in the groove.

I hadn't yet seen anyone but am going to try Lawrence Cohen MD so thanks to those who suggested him.

bhaggie01 - welcome to San Antonio and sorry about the delay in responding! Although I've been here officially two years, I've been working on a project in Kansas so I've hardly been here. I'd love to hear what you've discovered here by way of activities, doctors and etc!

Thanks again everyone!

Kage

Old 10-14-2010, 10:44 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,512,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neshomamench View Post
Graduating from Medical School gives you the title but a residency gives you the license and specialty (that is oversimplified) Your Residency also dictates if you are going to be a million dollar a year Surgeon or a 100K a year Family Doc..
Not quite. While a good residency has a great effect on an MD's career, the specialty is generally a CHOICE by the MD. You don't go to a family practice residency because you didn't get accepted into a surgery residency. That's usually decided in advance by the doctor when they choose where to apply.

Old 10-14-2010, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
Not quite. While a good residency has a great effect on an MD's career, the specialty is generally a CHOICE by the MD. You don't go to a family practice residency because you didn't get accepted into a surgery residency. That's usually decided in advance by the doctor when they choose where to apply.
Yes "quite" and I dont see how I really ever said anything different. If you have a residency in Neurosurgery you are (if you make it) going to be a Neurosurgeon. If you have a residency in ENT you are going to be an ENT..and so on. I think you missed my point being a range not an either or.

So, your residency dictates if you are going to a be a million dollar a year Neurosurgeon or a 100K Family doc. Some residencies are very competative and not everyone who wants to be a _____ gets to be a ______. You have to Match, not everyone does. Some scramble and some get in later...but some people simple must pick something else.

I can assure you my information on this is very sound.

Old 10-14-2010, 11:57 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,512,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neshomamench View Post
Yes "quite" and I dont see how I really ever said anything different. If you have a residency in Neurosurgery you are (if you make it) going to be a Neurosurgeon. If you have a residency in ENT you are going to be an ENT..and so on. I think you missed my point being a range not an either or.

So, your residency dictates if you are going to a be a million dollar a year Neurosurgeon or a 100K Family doc. Some residencies are very competative and not everyone who wants to be a _____ gets to be a ______. You have to Match, not everyone does. Some scramble and some get in later...but some people simple must pick something else.

I can assure you my information on this is very sound.
Ok. It sounded like your initial comment was that a Family Practice doc was one who wasn't competitive enough for a "good" residency or higher end speciality.

The field you choose - neuro or FP - will dictate the field in which you practice. And yes, some are more competitive than others, but I've yet to meet an FP who was an FP because they didn't match for another specialty. I'm sure they're out there, but that's not the norm. Most FPs are in it for a variety of reasons, and are indeed highly qualified. Family Practice is not some lesser field of medicine. I'd argue it's one of the most challenging, because the practioner has to be skilled and knowledgeable about such a wide range of topics. Unfortunately the salaries are comparatively low, which makes it difficult for many debt-laden US med students to choose.

Old 10-15-2010, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
Unfortunately the salaries are comparatively low, which makes it difficult for many debt-laden US med students to choose.
Which is why I picked it. Neuro,on average, often has the highest pay and Family the lowest. That was the point I was making.

However, it is very quantifiable that Family docs do not have the Step 1 scores than the Neuro docs do. (or the Derm folks in particular)

They have all done impressive things, but there is a very real hierarchy that is supported by valid data, as to which kinds of Doctors are the "smartest" or at the least, the best performers. This was not a point I was trying to make but is a truth all the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio