Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2010, 01:33 PM

545 posts, read 1,058,023 times

Advertisements

In about 3 weeks, I need to move from one house to another one across the street. I'll have everything boxed but will need the boxes and furniture moved.

Does anyone have any suggestions on local movers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 02:05 PM

22 posts, read 47,344 times
I sent you a DM.

Old 02-23-2010, 02:34 PM

2,260 posts, read 5,597,652 times
suzb98, can you send that info my way - we'll be moving about two miles in a month and same as JuanValdez, we'll have everything boxed up but we'll need someone to move the boxes and furniture.

Old 02-24-2010, 12:55 PM

22 posts, read 47,344 times
LindaGrace, I sent you a DM.

Old 02-24-2010, 12:58 PM

667 posts, read 1,562,675 times
We used Alpha Omega movers for our last move and will be using them again next month. My in-laws used them once also and had a good experience. They have awesome rates if you can move on a non-weekend day. We liked them a lot.

Old 02-24-2010, 01:12 PM

7,106 posts, read 11,764,183 times
We used "Movin' On" for two moves - we're talkin' FIVE TRUCKLOADS of stuff! They initial estimator TOTALLY blew the estimate (it was his first time to estimate on his own). The owner showed up about halfway through the move to see what was taking them so long, and freaked when he saw just how much there was to move vs. what they had quoted. He flat told me that they'd "blown it", and I told him I knew that they had, and asked him for a fair price that would work for them as well. He gave me a new number - still substantially lower than any of the other estimates I'd gotten from other movers. Ron (the owner) and his wife are good Christian folks, and I told him I'd pay the difference. He said it wasn't necessary - that it wasn't our fault. I paid the difference anyway - I want a good deal, but I also want to be fair.
When I called them for the 2nd move (we moved to a rental while our new house was being built), he asked if we'd had a garage sale (with a laugh). I told him no, and he said he'd do it for the same price as the previous move, even though it was 20+ miles further, because we'd been fair to him on the previous move. His wife came along with him on this move, and as she and my wife were talking, they disappeared - seems his wife had a really nice recipe bookcase she wanted to give us.
As they were finishing the unloading, Ron came to me with an old lamp globe one of his guys had cracked. Now, this globe dated back to the 1800's, and what Ron didn't know was that it was ALREADY cracked. When his guy was moving it, he tapped it against something, saw the crack and thought he'd done it. Rather than hide it, he came forward. I told Ron it had already been cracked, and not to worry about it - he STILL offered to pay for it because he thought they'd likely made it worse!!
These guys (crew of 8 IIRC) worked from 7 am until 8 pm that night, and we were ALL beat at the end - but I'd use 'em again in a heartbeat.

Old 03-29-2010, 09:18 AM

545 posts, read 1,058,023 times
I went with Two Men & A Truck.

Very professional, polite and extremely hard working. Not cheap but very pleased with the job they did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio