Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 09:45 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,863,190 times

Advertisements

Does anyone remember a giant billboard on I-35 between New Braunfels and San Antonio (going south towards SA) advertising a "big cheese pizza" or something? A large picture of a pizza which always made me hungry riding past it. This would have been late 70's or 80's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2007, 05:02 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,029,649 times
We were looking for a non-chain Italian restaurant to eat at tonight--early Father's Day for my husband since our 10 year old is leaving with Grandma for 4 weeks--and I decided to call Giovanni's since I'd read about them on here. Well, I got to speak with Giovanni himself and he is a really nice guy! Very personable and I can't wait to try his place! He recommended that we not eat there tonight because the theatre has their opening night and he's expecting a crowd. Apparently it's pretty small. Anyway, he wants us to really enjoy our meal (and we do, too!) so he suggested next weekend. I thought that was really cool. I told him that we'd read about his place on here, and he was pretty surprised.

So, bottom line, we have no review of the food, but the owner is great! We are gonna give it a try next weekend, if we remember, and if nothing comes up. We'll let you know!!!

Old 06-16-2007, 06:20 PM

4 posts, read 14,971 times
Quote:
Florio's has the best pizza in my opinion. It's a family owned restaurant in Lincoln Heights.
Have to agree. It's pretty good.

Old 06-18-2007, 06:00 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,433,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
We were looking for a non-chain Italian restaurant to eat at tonight--early Father's Day for my husband since our 10 year old is leaving with Grandma for 4 weeks--and I decided to call Giovanni's since I'd read about them on here. Well, I got to speak with Giovanni himself and he is a really nice guy! Very personable and I can't wait to try his place! He recommended that we not eat there tonight because the theatre has their opening night and he's expecting a crowd. Apparently it's pretty small. Anyway, he wants us to really enjoy our meal (and we do, too!) so he suggested next weekend. I thought that was really cool. I told him that we'd read about his place on here, and he was pretty surprised.

So, bottom line, we have no review of the food, but the owner is great! We are gonna give it a try next weekend, if we remember, and if nothing comes up. We'll let you know!!!

The place he is at was actually my grandparents grocery store from 1947-1995, they retired and sold the building to him.

Old 06-18-2007, 07:28 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,886,388 times
He runs a very nice no chain Italian restaurant. It's like being in Italy.(In the middle of little Mexico). I have never had a bad meal there. I do know to always call first before going there. He does catering and if he has a big catering job, he won't open the resturant.
Also, take your own beer or wine. He doesn't have a liquor license, but BYOB is OK.
The Eggplant is wonderful, and he does great Lasagna.
And the desserts are like NOTHING you would ever find anywhere but New York.
In keeping with the thread, he has the best pizza in town.

Old 06-18-2007, 09:37 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,433,488 times
It is pretty good, very nice guy.

Old 06-24-2007, 04:44 PM

45 posts, read 322,097 times
Default Sorrento's?

I haven't heard Sorrento's mentioned. It is on Broadway across from Central Market. I am from NY and I liked their pizza. Simple, good pizza, nothing designer.

Old 06-26-2007, 03:24 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,389,899 times
has anyone read through this and not been hungry for pizza afterwards?
this is a topic close to my heart as I could probably eat pizza for every meal and I'm going to have to check out some of these places. only down side is most appear to be more up north and I'm down in Westcreek..
has anyone ever been to a Pizzeria Uno? I'd love to find a place that has pizza like them and no, the frozen Uno you can get at walmart is not the same.. I've been to the ones in Ann Arbor, DC and San Diego and they're always outstanding.
also, is there anywhere that has 30" pizzas? In San Diego they were pretty easy to find, but I haven't seen one here in SA ever.

Old 06-26-2007, 08:51 PM

734 posts, read 3,015,864 times
Love Florios but will have to try Naples or Brothers.

I also miss Uno's - they don't have one here. I do think that Big Lou's has the huge pizza, I saw them on the morning news once I believe.

For something a little different - Kona Grill has good pizzas that are half off during happy hour We love Kona Grill so I am always trying to convince others to go!

And this may sound crazy - but Costco Pizza isn't too bad if you aren't looking for "authentic" pizza. It's cheap too Pepperoni is a little greasy, but cheese or combo is good.

Old 06-28-2007, 06:35 PM

427 posts, read 1,174,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle_Mom View Post
For something a little different - Kona Grill has good pizzas that are half off during happy hour We love Kona Grill so I am always trying to convince others to go!
What type of food does Kona Grill serve besides pizza and where is it located?

From all the recommendations here, we have our work cut out for us trying all of the suggestions! Not a bad "job" to have
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio