Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 10:30 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,387,646 times

Advertisements

Verio,

Have you shot before? If not, I would recommend practicing before doing the CHL or take a familiarization class. The Bullet Hole rents quite a few different types of guns and that'll give you a chance to practice. The CHL shooting part is pretty easy, but it would still be a good idea to at least have a little practice first.

The Bullet Hole Shooting Complex San Antonio's Best Range and Concealed Carry Resource
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2010, 10:32 AM

615 posts, read 1,522,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Verio....welcome to Texas! We don't require permits to purchase a gun here. You go in, pick out which one you like, they run you on the FBI's background check (coupla minutes), and unless they have an issue (rare that they do) you leave with the gun. If you don't have your own gun when you take the CHL class, MOST courses offer "rental" guns you can use. One word of advice - qualify with a semi-automatic, because doing so allows you to carry either a revolver OR semi. If you qualify with a revolver, you're restricted to revolver carry only.
A LOT of us feel the course is easy - but most grew up with guns (got my first one that stayed in my room at the age of 12), and it IS easy for us. For someone new to them, it's really more about common sense than it is anything else.
There's a gun show this weekend over by Marbach/410 that'll have a ton of 'em there. You DO need to know what gun values are, because some of 'em get a little proud of what they're selling, but there's always a bunch to choose from.
I'm going Sunday morning - feel free to DM me and we could meet up. Or DM me, and I'll also give you a coupla links to some great Texas-based online discussion groups (M2 and I are on at least one of 'em together). Be glad to help any way we can.
Thank you for the information. I grew up using rifles hunting Elk in our backyard in the backwoods of Oregon. Then, while in the Navy, I qualified as expert sharpshooter with both the M-16 and 9MM. It's been awhile since I've held a handgun outside of the military, and since Connecticut and Massachusetts almost make it impossible to own one, I never got one.

Old 03-05-2010, 11:16 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,985,488 times
SnappyBob

Texas Penal Code statues 46.02 and 46.15 allow the transportation of concealed weapons in vehicles by law-abiding citizens without a CHL...

Quote:
On March 27, 2007, Governor Rick Perry signed Senate Bill 378 into law, making Texas a "Castle Doctrine" state which came into effect September 1, 2007. Residents lawfully occupying a dwelling may shoot a person who "unlawfully, and with force, enters or attempts to enter the dwelling", or who removes or attempts to remove someone from that dwelling, or who commits or attempts to commit a "qualifying" felony such as burglary, arson, rape, aggravated assault, robbery or murder. In addition, a shooter who has a legal right to be wherever he/she is at the time of a defensive shooting has no "duty to retreat" before being justified in shooting; the "trier of fact" may not consider whether the person retreated when deciding whether the person was justified in shooting.

Gov. Perry also signed H.B. 1815, a bill that allows any Texas resident to carry a concealed handgun in the resident's motor vehicle without a CHL or other permit. Chapter 46, Section 2 of the Penal Code states that it is in fact not "Unlawful Carry of a Weapon" for a person to carry a weapon while in a motor vehicle they own or control, or to carry while heading directly from the person's home to that car. However, lawful carry while in a vehicle requires these three critical qualifiers: (1) the gun must be concealed; (2) the carrier cannot be involved in criminal activities; and (3) the carrier cannot be a member of a criminal gang.
Verio

When did you get out of the Navy? If it's been less than a year, you can get your CHL for free.

Otherwise, we'll be at the show tomorrow morning when it opens. If you are interested in meeting there, send me a DM.

Cheers! M2

Old 03-05-2010, 11:48 AM

615 posts, read 1,522,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
SnappyBob

Texas Penal Code statues 46.02 and 46.15 allow the transportation of concealed weapons in vehicles by law-abiding citizens without a CHL...

Verio

When did you get out of the Navy? If it's been less than a year, you can get your CHL for free.

Otherwise, we'll be at the show tomorrow morning when it opens. If you are interested in meeting there, send me a DM.

Cheers! M2
I'm relocating in the first week of April, otherwise I would have loved to meet you at the show.

I was discharged in 2006, so I'm out of luck there also

Old 03-05-2010, 11:54 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,985,488 times
Verio

No worries, we'll meet up once you get here! I ain't goin' anywhere!

The shows are every month (the first weekend), and I am always looking for an excuse to go shooting! Just let us know when you're settled in, and we'll get you taken care of!

Cheers! M2

Old 03-05-2010, 12:10 PM

220 posts, read 681,040 times
There is an area group who hold weekly matches and shoots.

Texas Tactical - Matches

Old 03-05-2010, 12:34 PM

77 posts, read 221,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verio View Post
I'm relocating in the first week of April, otherwise I would have loved to meet you at the show.

I was discharged in 2006, so I'm out of luck there also
The fee is 50% for veterans, so you only pay $70. However, that's just the fee to the state. You also have to pay the instructor for his time for teaching the course. Some offer military/veteran discounts though. Also, if you qualified with the M9 in the past 5 years the proficiency test is waived.

Old 03-05-2010, 12:41 PM

1,552 posts, read 2,329,231 times
The TX tactical matches are highly recommended. Bullethole has a series of matches also.

Many disciplines are represented in town. At Cedar Ridge, there is also steel challenge and IPSC.

Old 03-06-2010, 08:36 AM

3,060 posts, read 7,423,026 times
This is a great thread! Thanks folks for all the great info!

Old 03-25-2010, 03:24 PM

220 posts, read 681,040 times
Texas Tactical will be putting on an IDPA Match
this Sunday March 28th at the Cedar Ridge
Range between Austin and San Antonio. Bring a
friend or two and introduce them to all the
fun! Everyone is welcome!

If anyone would like to help with setup please
arrive at 0800hrs OR 0900hrs sharp. The range
owners open the gate at 0800hrs for us then they
lock it back until 0900hrs when the range
officially opens. Help would be greatly
appreciated.

For more info and directions check out:

Please arrive on time for sign up and promptly
and enjoyable match.

Depending on interest and help there will
be a Shotgun Sidestage after the match. (Birdshot
only)

Hope to see y'all there.

Michael "Iron Mike" Webb
Texas Tactical
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio