U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 05:16 PM

490 posts, read 1,008,307 times

Advertisements

You will find people that love/hate every small/big/horrible/wonderful/hot/cold/humid/dry/dangerous/safe/artsy/cheap/rich/poor city in America. I'm too busy out enjoying the things I like about San Antonio to sit on the internet and DM others to spread misery. Seems if some of the others would do the same , maybe their issues would go away. Life is too short to spend your time miserably in any major American city.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 05:59 PM

8,172 posts, read 10,301,540 times
When you looked at a house in the Military/1604 part of San Antonio you looked at a part of the city that is booming and is probably one of the most popular "new" development areas of the city. The traffic and congestion is going to be like that for quite some time. There are tons of people that post at CD that can guide you through the relocation to SA if this is indeed the area you believe you belong for whatever reason (being close to Lackland, the new homes, shopping, etc). However, there are other less congestion less "new" areas that you can look at too. Check out the relocation sticky too. I'm surprised no one has suggested that yet.

Old 03-08-2010, 06:41 PM

355 posts, read 1,282,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perticusrex View Post
Thank God I live in the hood where nobody gets robbed
What are you talking about? I live down the street from you and My house has been broken into 3 times.

Old 03-08-2010, 06:48 PM

3,770 posts, read 7,593,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalfish View Post
What are you talking about? I live down the street from you and My house has been broken into 3 times.
Then you must not be doing something right. My advice, get a bigger dog and hide your flat screen. (You must have made some enemies)

Old 03-08-2010, 07:13 PM

5,642 posts, read 14,570,237 times
mind=blown

Old 03-08-2010, 07:35 PM

2,260 posts, read 5,161,051 times
I've lived here for 13 years - 6.5 years in a house (with my sister) and 6.5 years in an apartment. I've never been the victim of any crime nor of any vandalism of any type. I live in the medical center area.

I love San Antonio. Is it perfect? No. But it's got a lot of fun stuff going on, and I love doing fun stuff!

Old 03-08-2010, 08:07 PM

6,881 posts, read 18,946,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m22 View Post
I moved from the Detroit suburbs, and yet I am SHOCKED by the property crime I have experienced here. My minivan has been broken into in my own driveway twice. Tons of homes here have been burglarized, even in the middle of the day. We have a home security system that I arm even while I am home. We're a middle class family with nothing really fancy going on, no bells and whistles on our cars or home that would have made me thought we'd be a target. I am never surprised to hear of a break-in here.
I am from Houston and I have to agree with most of what you say here regarding property crime. I am pretty surprised at it myself. I am also surprised at the graffiti, but it's just part of living here. Honestly, I never see cops around here at all. I think I've seen two SA cops and one Bexar Sheriff and that's it--since we moved here Nov. 1. That may be a reason for what we see, I dunno...

Things that I love would be coming up over the crest of 151 where it splits to 1604 and seeing those beautiful hills in the background, to a Houstonian like me, they're mountains! I love my wide, winding streets in my neighborhood, my house up on a hill, and the friendliness of Native Texans. I love being right down the street from Sea World....there's just some really great things about SA....

Old 03-08-2010, 08:15 PM

11 posts, read 26,651 times
LOL. Didn't mean for my topic to say Sea World area. Yeah, I get that certain things are to be expected in bigger cities. Glad to hear some positive feedback. Thanks to everyone for responding.

Old 03-08-2010, 08:32 PM

2,260 posts, read 5,161,051 times
Hey, tlpauley, my best friend moved here five years ago from a town of 3000 people. She was NOT a traffic person but she was doing terrific with the traffic after just a few months. The key is not to be afraid - you just have to do it.

Old 03-08-2010, 09:08 PM

1 posts, read 1,141 times
Smile moving to SA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojokitty View Post
I'm not sure which neighborhood you are refering to, but I live in that area. I LOVE our neighborhood and where we live! This whole area around us is going through a change, and I think it's for the better. If someone is being negative about it, it is probably based on their personal experiences, so please take that into consideration. The neighborhood that we live in is very close knit and the neighbors are VERY involved. We have social events, clubs (book, bunco), a citizens on patrol program, etc. Neighbors are always looking out for one another and friendly. They also take great pride in our neighborhood and go the extra mile to keep it nice. I've met so many new friends because of living in this neighborhood and having friendly people actually talk to me!

As far as driving, I think the area that you are looking at would be perfect. The traffic here is not horrible. If you move further northwest or to the far north side, the traffic is TERRIBLE. Apparently, they are trying to fix that now with a super highway or something. It's just something to consider if you are worried about traffic.

Please DM me if you would like any other information. Again, please weigh every side of everyone's opinion before settling on a decision. Remember, crime, vandalizing, etc. happens EVERYWHERE. This is a big city, so no area is void of that, no matter what people tell you. San Antonio was a little tough for me to get used to at first, since I moved from a smaller city in Ohio. Now I have gotten used to it and I'm enjoying myself. I hope this helps you!

I would love to know which subdivision you live in then,.... we are just in teh looking process and need some guidance...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio