U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 08:16 AM

13,806 posts, read 27,268,793 times

Advertisements

hey now, let's not be knocking Detroit.. The actual city definitely has its issues, but a lot of the suburbs are much better than what you'll find here in SA <--- this is SA related. Almost anything that ends in the word Hills is very nice and so are a lot of the other suburbs. I can't wait to go back in a couple weeks and I'll take some pictures of all the "death and destruction" while I'm there.. I'll also be sampling a lot of the superior food and enjoying the highways and biways with people that actually know how to freaking drive
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2010, 08:46 AM

790 posts, read 1,704,656 times
To the OP (tlpauley21) -- my mother's side of the family is from WV (Elkins, Parsons, Hinton) and I really love that beautiful state! When they'd come to SA for a visit, we'd have to d-r-a-g them back to the airport. They really enjoyed their trips. The weather was warm, the food excellent and they made a small set of friends who welcomed them back every year.

Regarding driving downtown for a legal assistant job, I think you'll find law firms all over the city because they aren't located in just the downtown area. So take that into consideration as you job search. I don't want to get a comment started from Firstclass Flyer, but if you speak and write English well -- you will never have trouble finding a paralegal job in San Antonio. I put myself through college working summers for Cox & Smith. So I know.

All the best to you in your cross-country move!

Old 03-09-2010, 09:13 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,989,587 times
To the op ~ OK, here's the rub. *Most* of us (on this forum) have strong feeling about different areas of San Antonio. *Most* of us that actually live in the area you're talking about really love it (with 2 exceptions that I can think of off the top of my head). I've lived in the same area (but North of Military, inside 1604) for about 7 years now. Our VERY first personal experience with "property theft" was just a few days ago when someone "broke into" my van (I had left it unlocked) and ruffled thru all my junk in the various compartments. The only thing of value was about 75 cents in change and my iPhone charger, and of course they were taken. We've left our back door unlocked 24/7 (yes, even when nobody was home) since we've lived here and never locked our vehicles. Of course, we're now locking them, but that's just to show you how safe we've felt. I LOVE the area! It's VERY convenient to downtown (I used to work downtown and it was an EASY 20 minute commute door to door. BUT that was at 9:30am, sooooo.... But evening coming home was at 5:00 and equally as easy.) There's plenty of restaurants and other businesses to make it convenient, schools are great, people are SUPER nice. My only gripe is that the library is a bit of trek.

Most of the folks that live in Stone Oak love it and will bash "our" area of town, the folks that live in the Helotes area will defend it against the attacks of those that complain about the traffice @ Bandera/1604, the "Inner Loop 410" folks can't STAND the suburban sprawl and are very vocal about it, etc, etc. You've got some people with VERY strong views. (And a liar or 2. ) But the folks who actually LIVE in the area you're interested in are probably the best ones to ask.

Best wishes!

Old 03-09-2010, 10:48 AM

487 posts, read 1,023,607 times
Any place you live is what you choose to make of it. I moved here 12 years ago and was really lonely and depressed. When I decided to get out of my comfort zone (pity party on the sofa) and get active in a second career, church, Bible study, community volunteering, etc. . . . I love it here. I find the people very nice if you're nice to them!
As far as crime, my neighborhood has not had a home invasion in the 12 years I have been here. We have had crimes of convenience: stuff stolen out of cars parked in the street etc., neighborhood teenagers knocking down a sign, breaking a light, being a PITA. But our HOA fixes stuff fast to discourage it from happening again. I have seen graffiti four times and it was removed by the next day. I haven't' seen any since.
Take the advice of the person who said to ask the people that LIVE where you want to live. They know what's going on. No one else does!

Old 03-09-2010, 12:58 PM

1,532 posts, read 3,452,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules07 View Post
To the op ~ OK, here's the rub. *Most* of us (on this forum) have strong feeling about different areas of San Antonio. *Most* of us that actually live in the area you're talking about really love it (with 2 exceptions that I can think of off the top of my head). I've lived in the same area (but North of Military, inside 1604) for about 7 years now. Our VERY first personal experience with "property theft" was just a few days ago when someone "broke into" my van (I had left it unlocked) and ruffled thru all my junk in the various compartments. The only thing of value was about 75 cents in change and my iPhone charger, and of course they were taken. We've left our back door unlocked 24/7 (yes, even when nobody was home) since we've lived here and never locked our vehicles. Of course, we're now locking them, but that's just to show you how safe we've felt. I LOVE the area! It's VERY convenient to downtown (I used to work downtown and it was an EASY 20 minute commute door to door. BUT that was at 9:30am, sooooo.... But evening coming home was at 5:00 and equally as easy.) There's plenty of restaurants and other businesses to make it convenient, schools are great, people are SUPER nice. My only gripe is that the library is a bit of trek.

Most of the folks that live in Stone Oak love it and will bash "our" area of town, the folks that live in the Helotes area will defend it against the attacks of those that complain about the traffice @ Bandera/1604, the "Inner Loop 410" folks can't STAND the suburban sprawl and are very vocal about it, etc, etc. You've got some people with VERY strong views. (And a liar or 2. ) But the folks who actually LIVE in the area you're interested in are probably the best ones to ask.

Best wishes!

Jules, you couldn't have said what I was thinking better! Oh, and for those of you who read my post and wonder which neighborhood I live in, Jules can help you with that too...right Jules? I LOVE our area, and especially our neighborhood! I do find many people who DON'T have any business making comments about it, since they don't live here and never have, tend to give it a bad rep. I don't know where the bad rep came from, but it's completely untrue. We have been here 2.5 years and have NEVER had a problem.

Old 03-09-2010, 02:01 PM

5,615 posts, read 13,526,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
hey now, let's not be knocking Detroit.. The actual city definitely has its issues, but a lot of the suburbs are much better than what you'll find here in SA <--- this is SA related. Almost anything that ends in the word Hills is very nice and so are a lot of the other suburbs. I can't wait to go back in a couple weeks and I'll take some pictures of all the "death and destruction" while I'm there.. I'll also be sampling a lot of the superior food and enjoying the highways and biways with people that actually know how to freaking drive
As far as the city of Detroit itself - too bad you can't bring back some vintage lumber from some of the places they're razing right now. Seems that's about all that a lot of structures there are good for, and I know some people that pay top dollar for old growth wood for projects they're working on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio