U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 09:02 AM

11 posts, read 26,529 times

Advertisements

Husband just accepted a transfer to San Antonio from WV. I'm not reading much about anyone saying San Antonio is a great place to live. I have visited the area twice and what I saw, I thought was nice, but I'm having some concerns:

Admittedly, I am a small town girl. Seems like a lot of people are talking about having their cars stolen or vandalized. We looked at a house east of 1604, just south of Military Drive and Sea World. I don't know the name of the neighborhood but during the day, it looked like a nice place to live. Does anyone live in this area?

Also, I'm seriously worried I will never learn to drive there! I currently work as a legal assistant and I'm afraid I will have to drive downtown to find work. Are there any areas better than others as far as traffic congestion is concerned? Are drivers rude or a bit understanding of newbies, lol?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 09:10 AM

615 posts, read 1,393,291 times
My family and I are moving in less than a month, and I can tell you all I have heard is good things about San Antonio. If you compare this board to other state boards on City Data, you will see there is a drastic difference.

Old 03-08-2010, 09:11 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,083 posts, read 34,846,849 times
Don't worry. There's plenty to like in San Antonio, but some parts of town do have less of the things that you want to avoid. I'll defer to the folks who live near that area you mentioned to address your specific concerns.

Old 03-08-2010, 09:12 AM

160 posts, read 207,356 times
I'll send you a DM shortly. We live in the area, but will be moving soon, thankfully.

Old 03-08-2010, 09:29 AM

556 posts, read 1,937,639 times
Congrats on your transfer! We moved to SA 11 years ago - also with a job transfer - we are now 'rooted' and any future job transfers will likely result in us choosing a career change, to insure we stay here

I'm from a town of 12,000 people - lived in cities with 100,000+, and now here with a population of about 1.6 million I think. The thing that we like the most about living here is, it is a big city with all that a big city has to offer, but in our area of town, if we so choose, we never have to leave for shopping, entertainment, parks, restaurants, etc. Within a 5 mile area, we are very 'self-contained'.

I can't speak for the area of town you are asking about - as we are on the far northeast side of the city - but good for you for doing your homework prior to moving - as there are some parts of town that are better suited than others, depending on what your needs are. The best to you as you settle into our fair city - I hope you find it feels like 'home' in short order!

Old 03-08-2010, 11:51 AM

2,312 posts, read 3,357,769 times
Sent you a DM

Old 03-08-2010, 12:33 PM

8,399 posts, read 21,080,448 times
I've been to and through West Virginia on several occasions, it’s a beautiful state and I would love to live there if there were jobs in my line of work.

But I can tell you that your fears of San Antonio are unfounded. Yes, it is a much larger city than anything in WV (our metro area is well over 2 million, whereas the largest city in WV, Charleston, has only 51,000+); but don’t let that fool you into thinking folks aren’t friendly here. Except when they are driving, San Antonians are some of the friendliest folks in Texas!

And it is a safe city, despite what some claim. SA has a low crime rate for its population and while there is crime here, it’s not something most people have to worry about.

It will take some adjusting to once you move here, especially the hot summers; but the vast majority of residents love San Antonio (as do the tourists)! This city has great appeal and is very family-friendly, and as someone who drives slow the easiest way to get around is to stay in the right lane and let all the speeders pass you. Otherwise, it’s a great city and a wonderful place to live!

And welcome!

Cheers! M2

Old 03-08-2010, 01:06 PM

2,790 posts, read 5,445,274 times
I find that people in San Antonio don't laugh enough, are full of themselves, and are generally unapproachable. Cliquish comes to mind. As a long long time San Antonian, I reserve the right to this opinion. But I'm sure that this is not restricted to San Antonio, it's what America has become. Like I say, it's about the same everywhere you go.

Old 03-08-2010, 01:24 PM

1,532 posts, read 3,452,547 times
I'm not sure which neighborhood you are refering to, but I live in that area. I LOVE our neighborhood and where we live! This whole area around us is going through a change, and I think it's for the better. If someone is being negative about it, it is probably based on their personal experiences, so please take that into consideration. The neighborhood that we live in is very close knit and the neighbors are VERY involved. We have social events, clubs (book, bunco), a citizens on patrol program, etc. Neighbors are always looking out for one another and friendly. They also take great pride in our neighborhood and go the extra mile to keep it nice. I've met so many new friends because of living in this neighborhood and having friendly people actually talk to me!

As far as driving, I think the area that you are looking at would be perfect. The traffic here is not horrible. If you move further northwest or to the far north side, the traffic is TERRIBLE. Apparently, they are trying to fix that now with a super highway or something. It's just something to consider if you are worried about traffic.

Please DM me if you would like any other information. Again, please weigh every side of everyone's opinion before settling on a decision. Remember, crime, vandalizing, etc. happens EVERYWHERE. This is a big city, so no area is void of that, no matter what people tell you. San Antonio was a little tough for me to get used to at first, since I moved from a smaller city in Ohio. Now I have gotten used to it and I'm enjoying myself. I hope this helps you!

Old 03-08-2010, 01:55 PM
m22

139 posts, read 542,534 times
I moved from the Detroit suburbs, and yet I am SHOCKED by the property crime I have experienced here. My minivan has been broken into in my own driveway twice. Tons of homes here have been burglarized, even in the middle of the day. We have a home security system that I arm even while I am home. We're a middle class family with nothing really fancy going on, no bells and whistles on our cars or home that would have made me thought we'd be a target. I am never surprised to hear of a break-in here.
Back in Michigan, we could leave the windows open and go for a walk without worry. Forget that here. In my neighborhood in San Antonio, a home was broken into and valuables were taken within ONE HOUR, in broad daylight.
San Antonio isn't a horrible place to live by any means, but I personally will be thrilled when I can return to the Midwest, where my family can feel safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio