Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 08:44 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,331,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Just ask all the folks shopping at La Cantera and The Rim, or who are eating at all the local restaurants (which seem to be doing a brisk business)!

I guess all those people just don't realize that the economy here is so bad!

To me, mall shopping (on its own merit) isn't really a good indicator of how the economy is doing, only because people out there like to spend a lot more than they have. Now, when it is used along with other figures, like big-ticket purchases like a car or travel, then it seems to be a better assessment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2010, 08:53 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,897,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
To me, mall shopping (on its own merit) isn't really a good indicator of how the economy is doing, only because people out there like to spend a lot more than they have. Now, when it is used along with other figures, like big-ticket purchases like a car or travel, then it seems to be a better assessment.
Well, if the number of temporary tags I've seen on SA roads lately is any indication; then folks must be rolling in the stuff!

Old 03-09-2010, 10:09 PM

810 posts, read 1,419,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpydove View Post
I don't know about that, Major... today I took our company and my kids home on spring break to La Cantera... there was hardly anyone out shopping or eating at the food court. The average income here is pretty pathetic. To attract high-paying industry, we need more college-educated people. However, that's hard when San Antonio has such a problem getting kids to finish high school.
I would like to see high paying industries here besides the medical field. The attitude of this city has got to change to motivate people to take this city to the next level - not tomorrow but today. No more everything is just fine attitude. That will take us no where fast. We can't afford to lose educated and smart people here because elsewhere looks more promising.

Old 03-09-2010, 11:35 PM

9,843 posts, read 13,590,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
I don't know....a lot of people correlate an increase in consumer spending (even small increases in retail) as a type of economic recovery. But of course, one of the most important things I learned in college is correlation does not equal causation.

Old 03-09-2010, 11:46 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,331,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
But of course, one of the most important things I learned in college is correlation does not equal causation.
There ya go! LOL!

Old 03-10-2010, 11:46 AM

2,312 posts, read 3,650,888 times
Quote:
Just ask all the folks shopping at La Cantera and The Rim, or who are eating at all the local restaurants (which seem to be doing a brisk business)!

We could be in a great depression and the restaurants will still be packed. We are a top 5 obese city remember

Old 03-10-2010, 12:07 PM

97 posts, read 339,369 times
In the grand scheme of things though, Texas, and San Antonio in particular has weathered the economy storm much better than other areas in the nation. Is there high unemployment? Yes...could it be much worse? By far...

Having the tandem of being a military city along with having a significant medical industry in town is keeping the the cash flowing through the system. Cash flows into retail...retail retains employment...employment pushes money back into the system. Are certain sectors of the business hurting? By all means...others though are really prospering right now. All in all...it could be significantly worse...we could be in California where they the entire state is under water and have a huge financial crisis on their hands...

Old 03-11-2010, 01:04 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,308,517 times
Quote:

It's ok to live in a bubble or bury ones head in the sand, but one is not going to find the actual people who are in need of employment at those locations. For all anyone knows, they could be Mexican Nationals shoppertaining on vacation.
Even during the Great Depression there were enough fat cats spending money in spite of the breadlines.

Old 03-11-2010, 04:29 PM

944 posts, read 2,033,272 times
Well I hope the OP is on the money, maybe everyone won't miss out on their yearly raise where I work this year like we did last time around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio