Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 11:21 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times

Advertisements

supposedly if you scratch the limb of a plant that appears dead and there is green showing right under the skin/bark the plant is stil alive--tired that with some of ours here in DFW area about our big freeze and don't think we have lost any plants...

there are times when a plant could have root system still alive but the above ground foliage is done--
you can cut it back and the plant should come back out with new growth...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 11:27 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,392,256 times
put the esperanza in full sun. All of these plants need full sun, especially the Pride of Barbados Mexican Bird of Paradise. That's the one thing that likes sun more than my chihuahua.

Old 03-10-2010, 12:06 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXtrkgrl View Post
I am changing up my landscaping this year. Will deer eat these three natives?

Any other "deer proof" plants are much appreciated.
Some friends who live in Hollywood Park, which has probably the largest urban concentration of deer in Bexar County, say that no plant is deer proof if the deer are hungry enough. Hopefully, they'll be less hungry in a year without a drought.

Last edited by Bo; 03-10-2010 at 12:16 PM..

Old 03-10-2010, 12:52 PM

12,114 posts, read 15,002,256 times
Anyone have any luck starting Esperanza from seeds? The POD are easy, just scrape the seeds first but they are slow growing. I just cant seem to get the Esperanza to grow.

Old 03-10-2010, 04:04 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXtrkgrl View Post
I am changing up my landscaping this year. Will deer eat these three natives?

Any other "deer proof" plants are much appreciated.

TIA
These City of Austin plant guides are primarily native or well adapted plants to central TX and they say which plants are deer resistant.

City of Austin - City of Austin - Grow Green

Old 03-10-2010, 06:30 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,032,679 times
Took a good look out in my yard today.....to recap:

Daisies, in the flower bed--been there since last spring and they're blooming and spreading. I heart the daisies, and more will be going in this spring.

Rosemary--doing really well, very fragrant and green. In the ground.

Dianthus--sold as an annual, but I have 2 pots of them outside......both blooming! Lived through the freeze--they were brought in for the first freezes, and I think the last one caught me off guard so they stayed outside.

Ice plant--like on the beaches in CA--doing well. In pots, same neglect as the dianthus for the last freeze.

Salvia--in the ground, green and doing well but not blooming yet. Was covered during the freezes, but again, not that last one.

Vinca--in pot--green but many of the leaves are "weak" and I'm not so sure it's going to bounce back.

Begonias--in pot--blooming (has bloomed all winter) and doing well. It's nearly 3 feet tall and gorgeous.

Ficus trees--in pots on back patio--doing great and were also left out for that last freeze.

Unsure at this point--Esperanza, Plumbago, Lantana--they all look dead and awful.

Old 03-10-2010, 06:46 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,047,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Rosemary--doing really well, very fragrant and green. In the ground.
Our rosemary did very well in pots we left out all winter and they grew and are now blooming. They can tolerate much!

All of our lantana are toast. I dug down to the roots and was quite surprised to see root death. Those usually fare well...

Old 03-10-2010, 08:41 PM

4,062 posts, read 5,645,484 times
Esperanza is native to Texas. I don't know if mine is alive or not. The other two are not natives, unless you have some kind of different species than what is sold in any local nurseries. I've never had trouble with Esperanza returning before, but then again, it never got below 13° like it did here this winter. I'm waiting to see for sure whether my Barbados Cherry is alive. It looks dead and the stems are all cracked...I really think it's gone. No sign of my Ox-Eye Daisy either...I think the drought and heat killed it last summer. Dang! But my Big Tooth Maple Tree is alive and it looks like there are buds toward the top of the tree! And my Texas Ash Tree is getting ready to bloom!

Old 03-10-2010, 10:22 PM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper1 View Post
Not sure how to word this one. How do the Esperanza, Plumbago and Pride of Barbados come back and when is what I want to know. I just planted these last year so this will be my first time having them come back. Do they regrow from old stems or come up from the ground and when?
Why ? Just wait a week or two... and see what happens

Old 03-10-2010, 10:39 PM
mcl

70 posts, read 150,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
Some friends who live in Hollywood Park, which has probably the largest urban concentration of deer in Bexar County, say that no plant is deer proof if the deer are hungry enough. Hopefully, they'll be less hungry in a year without a drought.
I have found, particulairy during a drought, the deer seem to think my front yard is their salad bar, no matter what I plant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio