Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 05:43 PM

217 posts, read 1,754,307 times

Advertisements

How do we kill weeds in our yard my husband is making a trip to Home Depot or Lowes we don't know alot about the San Antonio yards but we have many weeds growing in ours and want them out without the big spots from Round Up. Also how do we get a beautiful yard like the baseball field grass or model homes I think we have bermuda grass how can we get the nice green grass . We moved from Virgina with military but also lived near houston and had beautiful grass. Advice appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2010, 06:40 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,301,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikip View Post
How do we kill weeds in our yard my husband is making a trip to Home Depot or Lowes we don't know alot about the San Antonio yards but we have many weeds growing in ours and want them out without the big spots from Round Up. Also how do we get a beautiful yard like the baseball field grass or model homes I think we have bermuda grass how can we get the nice green grass . We moved from Virgina with military but also lived near houston and had beautiful grass. Advice appreciated.
Hi Nikip.....aren't the weeds going crazy this week? I can't believe how tall some of them are. I don't have a green thumb, so my advice is just beginners weed control. 1) Keep the grass cut.... weeds and all.... (the longer they grow, they spawn like the devil!) 2) Have your hubby talk to the lawn expert in the garden dept and look for a fertilizer and weed treatment. You may need a spreader to make sure you cover the entire lawn. 3) Keep the lawn watered moderately well during this growing season to build healthy roots and allow it to crowd out the dying weeds. You won't have bald spots this way.

If you have patches of weeds, you may want to hand pull some of them, but be careful if you have any thistle. Most will only require canvas garden gloves. If the ground is moist, they will come up easier. Make sure to grab them close the the ground and pull so you get most of the root ball with the weeds.

The sports/golf/gorgeous grass you are talking about is very hard to grow in South Texas with our on and off rainfall and heat waves. If you love to garden, and babysit your grass, or have a yard expert, it can be done. It takes lots of water, the right soil and constant mowing. In other words it's very high maintenance.

If you can get the weeds under control, St Augustine or Bermuda grass will make a really nice Texas lawn. It's not soft like carpet, but it's hardy and more Texas friendly. Make a trip to one of the neighborhood nurseries and ask for recommendations for the best grass for your area. Good luck.

Old 03-09-2010, 07:01 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,013,330 times
Hand remove the weeds. Please don't poison the ground!

Old 03-09-2010, 07:32 PM

61,119 posts, read 85,934,275 times
With the Home Depot/Lowe’s stuff is like with over the counter meds – it gives only a temporary relief. What you need is a commercial grade, real good stuff that works, elbow grease and lots of devotion. Go online, google, read, check what is available and where to buy/order. It won’t be cheap, though.

Old 03-09-2010, 08:03 PM

3,982 posts, read 6,695,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountryHotRodMan View Post
I agree. I also thinks lawns should be given lower priority especially given the horrendously hot summers and the fact that San Antonio hasn't secured the future water reserves it will need:

SAWS not giving up legal fight with LCRA (http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/84428027.html - broken link)

Me? I'm either doing low water consumption Buffalo/Zoysia or xeriscaping.

Old 03-09-2010, 08:53 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 37,952,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountryHotRodMan View Post
I'm more concerned about chemicals in the drinking water. So many of the newest homes in the area are built over the aquifer recharge zone. Everything nasty dumped on those lawns will come out of our faucets someday.

Old 03-10-2010, 05:20 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,378,819 times
There is a neat contraption they sell at both Lowes and Home Depot called a "weed hound". It is WONDERFUL. You find the root, clamp down and twist and it comes up root and all...works GREAT and well worth the investment if you have a lot of weeds.

Amazon.com: Hound Dog Products HDP1-6 Weed Hound: Patio, Lawn & Garden

Here is a pic and a place to buy online as well as the local box stores.

It is SO much fun to use, you can acutally get the kiddos to fight over who gets to pull weeds....LOL

Old 03-10-2010, 05:43 PM

443 posts, read 948,540 times
Go organic. Buy a Howard Garrett book, listen to his show, or just visit his forums.

www.dirtdoctor.com • Index page

I'm trying humate this year in an attempt to rid the back-half of my property of sticker burrs.

Old 03-10-2010, 05:43 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,323,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
There is a neat contraption they sell at both Lowes and Home Depot called a "weed hound". It is WONDERFUL. You find the root, clamp down and twist and it comes up root and all...works GREAT and well worth the investment if you have a lot of weeds.

It is SO much fun to use, you can acutally get the kiddos to fight over who gets to pull weeds....LOL

WOW! That looks great! I wish I had had that today. I have to say, I have never seen such weed growth in my life! Yikes! Three weeks ago, I pulled several dandelion/dollarweed/thistle from my yard. Now after all the rain I have had to do it again today and there were much more. I was out there with my hoe and the thistle was the worst. They are so hard to get up! Ugh.

Old 03-10-2010, 06:07 PM

61,119 posts, read 85,934,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post

I don’t know. I have literally hundreds of all kind weeds in my front and back yard this year. With this method, when I finally get the last one out in the back yard, I could start with the first growing up again in my front yard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio