Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 08:16 PM

4,062 posts, read 5,641,916 times

Advertisements

The environmentalist type of people I know in San Antonio could really use reinforcements, as there just aren't enough of us in the area. Come on down!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 10:03 PM

580 posts, read 1,429,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Sorry that you disagree, but the fact is that while there may be "pockets" of such liberal-minded individuals; the vast majority of San Antonians are conservative, old school thinking Texans.

Unless the OP lives, works and shops within a few city blocks of these liberal strongholds, they are going to encounter the more prevalent conservative mindsets.

Also, I agree with TexasRedNeck when it comes to people who claim to be "open-minded individuals" As long as you subscribe to their way of thinking, they are easily willing to accept your opinion. However, disagree with them, and their "open-mindedness" disappears faster than free donuts on Friday.

I am simply stating facts so the OP knows what they are getting into before they decide to move here.

It is no big secret what the general mindset of San Antonio is, but still a few people move here expecting something different or expecting to change it. They are usually miserable until they leave...just ask FCF or his wife!

Those who love it here (which are the vast majority), fully understand how things are and embrace it. I know, I am one! But I also realize that not everyone will feel the same.

But I guess coming from Detroit, anyplace would look good! (that's a dig at RD2007! )

Cheers! M2

p.s. Diverse? Yeah, right...how many Indian restaurants are there in this town? Greek? Hungarian? Now, how many taquerías are there?
Once again, you claim that you're "just stating the facts" about the "fact" that most San Antonians are "conservative, old school thinking Texans." Well, the basic fact is that more than 60% of San Antonio is populated by Hispanic/Latino people. And the basic fact is that San Antonio voted multiple times for Democratic mayors and also for Obama in the last election. San Antonio is NOT Dallas or much of the rest of the state. It's closer to areas in the Rio Grande Valley. Hell, its "dominant" culture shows just as much relation to Mexican influences as it does to "Anglo" influences. Many have argued that San Antonio is the most "Latin American" of the U.S.'s large cities. As someone who has lived and worked in Latin America for years--and who speaks Spanish fluently, and who lives in a neighborhood where 90% of the children in my elementary school district are Hispanic--I can say with certainty that my experience bears this fact out.

So are largely Democratic and Hispanic people "conservative, old school thinking Texans"? Or are you speaking mainly about that significant minority of San Antonio, largely located in the north (and in subdivisions at that), that is more Anglo and Republican leaning? Because that's not the majority of this city. Come inside the loop. Go to the east, west, or south sides. Many of those people call themselves and their culture "Tejano," not "Texan."

Well, what can I say but that we live in very different parts of this city? There's actually a Greek restaurant (and a Greek Orthodox Church) one block from my house. There are about 10 gay bars within a mile of my house. There is a Vietnamese restaurant. There is a kosher vegetarian restaurant that is filled with Orthodox Jews every Sunday night (and that is run by a Seventh Day Adventist). There's a reform synagogue a few blocks away, and the Bahai center is on the other side of the tracks. And I think I've hit about four of this city's Indian restaurants so far, and there are others to which I've never been.

So, to reiterate: much of this city stems from a strongly Latin American way of thinking about culture and politics. It is largely blue collar and middle class. There are big pockets of "liberal" people, and big pockets of "conservative" people. It really depends where you live! On the whole, though, to say that it is "old school Texan" really just shows that you're familiar with a very, very small part of this city and what makes it so unique and attractive to a newcomer like me (i.e., an overly educated, lefty, vegetarian from Chicago).

For the record, I was pleasantly surprised by San Antonio, and I have never complained about it on this board. I sing its praises louder than anyone else I know. And I think that there are a lot of people out there who would like it just as much as I do--and for the same reasons.

Old 03-10-2010, 10:06 PM

824 posts, read 1,815,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Sorry that you disagree, but the fact is that while there may be "pockets" of such liberal-minded individuals; the vast majority of San Antonians are conservative, old school thinking Texans.

Unless the OP lives, works and shops within a few city blocks of these liberal strongholds, they are going to encounter the more prevalent conservative mindsets.

Also, I agree with TexasRedNeck when it comes to people who claim to be "open-minded individuals" As long as you subscribe to their way of thinking, they are easily willing to accept your opinion. However, disagree with them, and their "open-mindedness" disappears faster than free donuts on Friday.

I am simply stating facts so the OP knows what they are getting into before they decide to move here.

It is no big secret what the general mindset of San Antonio is, but still a few people move here expecting something different or expecting to change it. They are usually miserable until they leave...just ask FCF or his wife!

Those who love it here (which are the vast majority), fully understand how things are and embrace it. I know, I am one! But I also realize that not everyone will feel the same.

But I guess coming from Detroit, anyplace would look good! (that's a dig at RD2007! )

Cheers! M2

p.s. Diverse? Yeah, right...how many Indian restaurants are there in this town? Greek? Hungarian? Now, how many taquerías are there?
M2-

You're off-base here, my friend. The vast majority of San Antonians are conservative? Say what? 4 out of 5 county commissioners are Democrats. 8 out of 10 members of our city council are registered Democrats (even though city elections don't have party affiliations). Our mayor is a Democrat. Obama carried Bexar County in the 2008 election. If SA is home to a "vast" conservative "majority", they sure vanish on election day!

And these neighborhoods aren't just "a few city blocks" (nor are they "liberal strongholds"). There are, literally, dozens of neighborhoods in or near the central city that don't at all resemble your generalizations. These range from poorer, working-class neighborhoods to very expensive neighborhoods.

There are, of course, plenty of neighborhoods with predominantly conservative mindsets...and it certainly sounds like you live in one! But there are plenty of places quite different than that (which is what the OP is looking for).

C'mon down to one of our "liberal strongholds"...I'll buy you a beer and show you around...and by the way, since when did anyone (especially you) give any credence to what FCF has to say?

Old 03-11-2010, 05:17 AM

615 posts, read 1,522,199 times
How does a question about a city being environmentally friendly and catering to a vegan diet spiral into a political discussion between Democrats and Republicans?

I'm a registered Republican moving from an incredibly blue state (Massachusetts). I get flipped off on a routine basis for driving my gas-guzzling V8 Camaro by Prius owners. Do I lump everyone who drives a Prius into the same bucket? I try not to.

I will admit, when I read the OP, I sense a real dislike to anyone who isn't "progressive" in the sense that a city should be opening more vegan eateries and the like. Just my opinion though. It doesn't matter what city you live in, you will find folks differing in opinions and lifestyles.

My personal opinion on the matter is this -

Why would you want to move to a state (and even city) that has a reputation of being conservative, red meat eating, and anti-mandated government intrusion? The locals on this board can correct me if I'm wrong here, but I don't believe traditional Mexican food, or even tex-mex has a reputation of being terribly vegan friendly. Why would someone want to take a delicious taco and strip it of everything excellent and just leave some beans and rice is beyond me, but that choice is yours to make.

If you want to find like-minded folks, just move to Massachusetts, trust me, you'll be welcomed there. I try not to intrude on anyone's political beliefs or affiliations, but sometimes mixing oil and water isn't the best option. Move a place where you're pretty sure you'll be happy, and don't just take a blind leap.

Last edited by Verio; 03-11-2010 at 06:02 AM..

Old 03-11-2010, 05:33 AM

1,532 posts, read 3,697,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
No problem - as for me personally, I'm more of a small "l" libertarian. No affiliation with the party with the same name / don't care what people do in their personal life or whatever so long as it doesn't harm someone else (keeping the gov't out of that) / fiscally conservative (cut gov't spending and such). That, plus stereotypical northwestern obsessive compulsive recycler. I do know what you mean about the other meaning to conservative and liberal - I'm in the Lower Queen Anne neighborhood in Seattle when not in SA and see the signs in some of the windows, and know better than to speak up on certain things here.
Nice to see another libertarian here! I wish more people would understand the libertarian viewpoints.

Can I also say, I need plastic and scuba to help me with my gardening!? You guys seem like you know what you are doing. I've been doing container gardening here since I moved to Texas. I haven't had very good crops. Too bad there isn't a gardening group or something so that you guys could help me! The only help I've gotten is from my 5 year old son when he says, "mommy, you need to put crushed eggshells on it so that it helps the plant to grow". I bought a container gardening book, so I should refer to that more I guess. Oh, one quick question...is it too early to start planting? I know I had my plants done by this time last year, but this year it's been cooler than normal. Thanks!

Old 03-11-2010, 07:10 AM

151 posts, read 299,332 times
Funny observation here: My coworker and I would drive through Alamo Heights during our break here at work and count the Obama signs and the McCain signs in people's front yards. Surprisingly, a vast majority of people had Obama signs.

Old 03-11-2010, 07:17 AM

437 posts, read 902,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvlpr View Post
I'm patient & tolerant of most everyone except vegans...

The neighborhoods you should look for are Lavaca, King William, Monte Vista, Alta Vista, River Road, and Mahncke Park. I have friends in all these neighborhoods, many of whom have edible yards, chicken coops, etc. and ride their bike to work. Basically, any of the neighborhoods near downtown tend to have high concentrations of like-minded folks.
I think any of those neighborhoods mentioned by dvlpr would work for you culturally; there are a few more not listed. The best part about living in one of those areas near downtown is the fact that the yards can be quite large and the soil deep. I moved from the NW side of town, where I couldn't dig a hole without hitting solid rock under barely an inch of soil, to an area just east of downtown, where I can make a hole two feet deep and not see a rock; it's quite amazing! I have a huge vegetable garden.

As someone else said earlier, do consider your commute before you decide where to live. Of course near downtown is central; I can get just about anywhere within 15 minutes. Do you know where (geographically) you'll be working?

Old 03-11-2010, 08:39 AM

580 posts, read 1,429,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verio View Post
How does a question about a city being environmentally friendly and catering to a vegan diet spiral into a political discussion between Democrats and Republicans?

I'm a registered Republican moving from an incredibly blue state (Massachusetts). I get flipped off on a routine basis for driving my gas-guzzling V8 Camaro by Prius owners. Do I lump everyone who drives a Prius into the same bucket? I try not to.

I will admit, when I read the OP, I sense a real dislike to anyone who isn't "progressive" in the sense that a city should be opening more vegan eateries and the like. Just my opinion though. It doesn't matter what city you live in, you will find folks differing in opinions and lifestyles.

My personal opinion on the matter is this -

Why would you want to move to a state (and even city) that has a reputation of being conservative, red meat eating, and anti-mandated government intrusion? The locals on this board can correct me if I'm wrong here, but I don't believe traditional Mexican food, or even tex-mex has a reputation of being terribly vegan friendly. Why would someone want to take a delicious taco and strip it of everything excellent and just leave some beans and rice is beyond me, but that choice is yours to make.

If you want to find like-minded folks, just move to Massachusetts, trust me, you'll be welcomed there. I try not to intrude on anyone's political beliefs or affiliations, but sometimes mixing oil and water isn't the best option. Move a place where you're pretty sure you'll be happy, and don't just take a blind leap.
All I (and a few others) have done is state some basic political and cultural facts about this city, as well as our personal experiences and reflections, in order to answer the OP's question about the possibility of him and his girlfriend being happy here. The OP was super polite, as were we. No one slammed anyone's political or moral choices. All we said is that San Antonio is a place where a lot of vegetarian-friendly and left-leaning people, institutions, and neighborhoods can be found. That is 100%, undeniably true, and by enthusiastically stating it we've shown our own deep appreciation for this city and what it has to offer. What's more pro-San Antonio than that?

The OP has been offered a great job in tough economic times, and he is being given skewed views on whether or not to take it based upon unfounded stereotypes of Texas and San Antonio (i.e., what you call its "reputation"). The purpose of this board is to offer useful information that will help him to make the right decision, or at least to inquire further. Personally, I already have plenty of like-minded friends here in San Antonio, and I have no personal stake in whether another left-wing vegetarian moves to this city. I'm just trying to help a nice person out. That, I think, is something we can all stand behind as San Antonians and Texans.

Nearly three years ago, I, too, was offered a great job here. Were it not for a few helpful articles that I found at the last minute, I would not have taken it because all I had were bad stereotypes of "Texas." Thank God I pushed past all of the preconceptions and came! I have a great career, a great home, and a wonderful community because of it.

Old 03-11-2010, 09:22 AM

824 posts, read 1,815,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneOf48 View Post
All I (and a few others) have done is state some basic political and cultural facts about this city, as well as our personal experiences and reflections, in order to answer the OP's question about the possibility of him and his girlfriend being happy here. The OP was super polite, as were we. No one slammed anyone's political or moral choices. All we said is that San Antonio is a place where a lot of vegetarian-friendly and left-leaning people, institutions, and neighborhoods can be found. That is 100%, undeniably true, and by enthusiastically stating it we've shown our own deep appreciation for this city and what it has to offer. What's more pro-San Antonio than that?

The OP has been offered a great job in tough economic times, and he is being given skewed views on whether or not to take it based upon unfounded stereotypes of Texas and San Antonio (i.e., what you call its "reputation"). The purpose of this board is to offer useful information that will help him to make the right decision, or at least to inquire further. Personally, I already have plenty of like-minded friends here in San Antonio, and I have no personal stake in whether another left-wing vegetarian moves to this city. I'm just trying to help a nice person out. That, I think, is something we can all stand behind as San Antonians and Texans.

Nearly three years ago, I, too, was offered a great job here. Were it not for a few helpful articles that I found at the last minute, I would not have taken it because all I had were bad stereotypes of "Texas." Thank God I pushed past all of the preconceptions and came! I have a great career, a great home, and a wonderful community because of it.
Excellent, excellent post!

Old 03-11-2010, 09:36 AM

3,770 posts, read 8,287,967 times
The thing about San Antonio is that different parts of town offer a different type of lifestyle and experience. Based on your prefernces, I think you can find a neighborhood or area that meets your needs and lifestyle choices. That is why people on this board defend their part of town with such fervor because they feel so strongly about where they have chosen to live. San Antonio shouldn't be lumped into being one type of city, because its not. The experience here on the Southside is not the same as living in Stone Oak, or even the Far Westside. Southtown living is very different from living in the Medical Center. Each side of town is unique and has something different to offer those that are living in it. I think telling the OP one way or the other that he will or will not be happy here is unfair and impossible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio