Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 10:21 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,820,029 times

Advertisements

$10 could be a very fair price for the right cleaning person, but depending on the job and how frequently you want the service, it might not be enough.

I can recommend NOT going with a cleaning firm, like Merry Maids, Molly Maids or Service magic: I went that route when I was first looking for a cleaning person and they sent over folks who simply straightened things up, but never actually cleaned. On top of that, they charge quite a bit, as they have more overhead to deal with.

I found my cleaning lady on CL. She's been with me for 7 years now (weekly) and is one of the nicest, most hardworking people I've ever known.

BN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 10:27 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,829,912 times
If anyone has a recommendation for housekeepers in New Braunfels, please DM me info....thanks!

Old 03-11-2010, 02:29 PM

149 posts, read 433,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inventurous View Post
I'd recommend going with someone recommended by people that you trust. I'd first tried picking someone off craigslist who had been billing herself as some sort of licensed organizer. She showed up looking a bit grungy and asked if I'd found her under "Domestic Services" or "Adult Services"
That is pretty funny. Probably not so much at the time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas View Post
$10 could be a very fair price for the right cleaning person, but depending on the job and how frequently you want the service, it might not be enough.

I found my cleaning lady on CL. She's been with me for 7 years now (weekly) and is one of the nicest, most hardworking people I've ever known.

BN
Is she taking on anymore customers?

Old 03-11-2010, 07:36 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,406,574 times
People still pay others to clean for them? I've always cleaned everything myself from vacuuming, dusting, dishes and the bathroom. I suppose If I wasn't able bodied or if I were very well off I might hire someone but I would feel like a bum expecting someone to do it for me. Like one of the previous posters mentioned, make sure you do background checks and get good references. You can't be too safe. If you really want to pay no more than $10 an hour, I'd go with a college student. Get permission from the Student Services' office at each college to post a Wanted Ad on the bulletin board. You'll get plenty of responses from students. Just be fair to them.

Old 03-11-2010, 07:58 PM

117 posts, read 343,447 times
I was actually one of those college students xsa210 is referring to. I cleaned for 10 an hour (10 years ago) when I was in college.

Old 03-12-2010, 09:38 PM

149 posts, read 433,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsa210tx View Post
People still pay others to clean for them? I've always cleaned everything myself from vacuuming, dusting, dishes and the bathroom. I suppose If I wasn't able bodied or if I were very well off I might hire someone but I would feel like a bum expecting someone to do it for me. Like one of the previous posters mentioned, make sure you do background checks and get good references. You can't be too safe. If you really want to pay no more than $10 an hour, I'd go with a college student. Get permission from the Student Services' office at each college to post a Wanted Ad on the bulletin board. You'll get plenty of responses from students. Just be fair to them.

This feels a bit like a personal attack. I have 4 children, homeschool 2 full time. I do 25 loads of laundry a week, I make 3 meals and 3 snacks everyday. I do clean my house constantly, I just have lots of little hands to make messes. I am more than able bodied, but I choose to pour my energy into my children rather than wiping baseboards.

Old 03-12-2010, 09:54 PM

257 posts, read 533,756 times
^ I don't think that was a personal attack, just her opinion. Personally, I don't think $10/hr is appropriate. My mom used to clean houses & charged that per hour-->15 years ago.

Old 03-12-2010, 10:05 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,820,029 times
It sounded more like a personal opinion, but it was a little snippy... Not that I minded. It always good to have differences of opinion here: Keeps things interesting

I pay my housekeeper $130/week. She cleans once/twice weekly, does laundry, runs errands, walks dogs, etc. I'm not home in San Antonio much and my partner isn't always around to get the detail cleaning done, so she's basically there to make sure that things don't go to hell in a hand-basket.

I think she's pretty much full-up on clients. I know she's mainly a housekeeper-type and less of an hourly cleaning lady. I'll ask and get back to you through DM.

BN

Old 03-13-2010, 09:21 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,402,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsa210tx View Post
People still pay others to clean for them? I've always cleaned everything myself from vacuuming, dusting, dishes and the bathroom. I suppose If I wasn't able bodied or if I were very well off I might hire someone but I would feel like a bum expecting someone to do it for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by raa1371 View Post
^ I don't think that was a personal attack, just her opinion. Personally, I don't think $10/hr is appropriate. My mom used to clean houses & charged that per hour-->15 years ago.
Really? I read it as "You're a bum if you can't clean your house yourself."

For us it was either someone mows our lawn or cleans our house. I really wanted a housekeeper, but my hubby has pretty severe grass allergies, so it was lawn service...and I clean the house. However, with my full time, 24/7 job of motherhood, I would never consider myself a BUM for hiring someone to clean my floors and bathrooms...

As for the price, $10/hr sounds fair to me, depending on what you want done. The quotes we received here were hovering around $65 for biweekly service...and approximately 4-5 hours to clean. In Houston it was more like $50 was the going rate for a 2000-2500 sq ft home.

Old 03-13-2010, 09:30 AM

4,263 posts, read 10,821,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Really? I read it as "You're a bum if you can't clean your house yourself."

For us it was either someone mows our lawn or cleans our house. I really wanted a housekeeper, but my hubby has pretty severe grass allergies, so it was lawn service...and I clean the house. However, with my full time, 24/7 job of motherhood, I would never consider myself a BUM for hiring someone to clean my floors and bathrooms...

As for the price, $10/hr sounds fair to me, depending on what you want done. The quotes we received here were hovering around $65 for biweekly service...and approximately 4-5 hours to clean. In Houston it was more like $50 was the going rate for a 2000-2500 sq ft home.
Proud to be BUMS! Welcome to the club.

No service lawn ourselves.
No clean house ourselves. TRUE BUMS!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio