U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 04:00 PM

149 posts, read 366,610 times

Advertisements

Trying to find an help with the house and wanting someone hourly rather than for each cleaning session and wondering if $10.00 is acceptable.

Thank you !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 04:02 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,943 posts, read 33,805,675 times
You could probably get it done for less if you pay by the cleaning session, instead of by the hour. AFAIK, most services prefer to work that way. You pay extra if you want more done some weeks.

Old 03-10-2010, 04:05 PM

6,458 posts, read 9,375,207 times
Wish I could find someone to do it for a $10/hr rate up here in New Braunfels!!!

Old 03-10-2010, 04:08 PM

5,615 posts, read 13,063,658 times
If ya post and get offers it's at least a fair price. No offers, try raising it or changing the terms as others suggested. Gotta love a free economy.

Old 03-10-2010, 04:19 PM

149 posts, read 366,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
You could probably get it done for less if you pay by the cleaning session, instead of by the hour. AFAIK, most services prefer to work that way. You pay extra if you want more done some weeks.
I don't know. The quotes I've gotten are $80.00 for cleaning which takes 4 hours. Trying to find someone that can do what I need as I need it rather than cleaning the whole house at once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
If ya post and get offers it's at least a fair price. No offers, try raising it or changing the terms as others suggested. Gotta love a free economy.
True!

Old 03-10-2010, 05:24 PM

60 posts, read 127,866 times
I guess it depends on what you are meaning by 10$ an hour. I am sure you can get someone over for $10 an hour if they are over for 5+ hours but to have someone to sweep the floor for $10, there will not be any takers.

Old 03-10-2010, 05:32 PM
RGJ

1,902 posts, read 4,099,674 times
For about 2.5-3 hours, once a week, cost = $50.00.

Old 03-10-2010, 10:59 PM

420 posts, read 1,032,301 times
my experience has been about 50 dollars a week and its one day for about 3 hours. since they know how much they are making it helps speed them along. If you pay by the hour you are asking them to drag the work out to make some extra money. Also as stated before if you want above and beyond stuff done (ie spring cleaning, cleanout the fridge, and stuff you can expect to pay extra and should schedule it before hand and not surprize them with it. but dishes, dusting, floors, windows, washing or changing all bed linens, cleaning bathrooms, are all part of the deal. Just be sure you talk about it with them first or they may not be what you are looking for. Expect it to go a little long on the first visit as you show them where stuff is and what you want done by them.

Also, many will want to be scheduled every week. You may have a harder time getting someone to clean if you are not looking for it every week.

Last edited by RoamingWolves; 03-10-2010 at 11:01 PM.. Reason: additional info

Old 03-10-2010, 11:36 PM

186 posts, read 310,905 times
Here's some brain candy...food for thought if you prefer. Better to go with a company that bonds their employees, does the company ensure against theft by employees, do they conduct criminal background checks? Check Angie's List on line they can give you some good pointers and info regarding the hiring of a contractor. Secure all valuables, leave nothing laying around...even small stuff is easily lifted and you may not notice it for days. Does your homeowners insurance have a clause that covers theft by contracted house help etc. A good nanny cam might be a good investment...maybe even several to go in various rooms...you can't be everywhere at once. Don't discuss your personal life or activities...its freaky enough having a total stranger in your house that you know nothing about and while tempted to have conversations with the hired help they can learn a lot about you & your family and habits if one is prone to having bouts of loose lips. My intent is not to scare the h*** out of you...just think it through before you commit to hiring someone. You never know who their friends might be or what their motives are.

Old 03-11-2010, 11:03 AM

163 posts, read 272,255 times
I'd recommend going with someone recommended by people that you trust. I'd first tried picking someone off craigslist who had been billing herself as some sort of licensed organizer. She showed up looking a bit grungy and asked if I'd found her under "Domestic Services" or "Adult Services"

Since then, I'm using a crew that works for a number of friends & family. They show up as needed (usually once a month) and for 3 of them working about 1.5-2 hrs, I usually pay around $100, which might work out to around $15/hr pp for 2 hrs, but doesn't really equate since they're motivated to work quickly, do a good job, and most importantly, are trustworthy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio