Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 03:46 PM

30 posts, read 118,285 times

Advertisements

I was hearing on the news out here in Pa about the West nile Virus killing some people, how serious is it? Does anyone have any info on this?

I'll be heading out there on june 16th for good and wanted some info on this topic.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2007, 04:49 PM

351 posts, read 1,585,048 times
Hello,

Is it spread by ticks?

I inherited a couple of hundred acres 33 miles North of San Antonio and I remember as a kid having to inspect my body everytime we came home from the country looking for ticks, more than likely finding one.

Since I moved onto the ranch in 2004, NOT ONE TICK. The fire ants killed all of them. The ticks used to be bad, but since the fireants moved in about 15 years ago, have not seen a one.

The fireants hurt when they sting you, but they do not go looking to make a meal on your blood and giving you infectious diseases in the process. Just avoid standing on one of their nests and you should be fine.

crazedchef

Old 06-03-2007, 06:30 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,440,032 times
West nile is spread to humans by a certain species of mosquito. The way they detect west nile is actually by bird though. As of right now San Antonio and Bexar county is west nile free. Dallas does have west nile so it is in the state of Texas, but for now SA is safe.

Old 06-03-2007, 07:59 PM

82 posts, read 614,511 times
From my understanding only a small percentage of people actually show symptoms of west nile and are carried by infected mosquitos. Ticks carry lyme disease and Rocky Mountain spotted fever, among other things.

Old 06-03-2007, 08:53 PM

790 posts, read 1,881,035 times
Default West Nile at Salado Creek

In the summer of 2004, an infected bird was found dead in Salado Creek -- the part that runs under Austin Highway. You may want to check the Express-News, but I'm very sure this happened.

Old 06-03-2007, 10:25 PM

83 posts, read 299,848 times
ya. i remember something about that to. i remember them talking about it on the news thinking it was west nile that killed the bird

Old 06-04-2007, 04:47 PM

370 posts, read 882,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA123 View Post
I was hearing on the news out here in Pa about the West nile Virus killing some people, how serious is it? Does anyone have any info on this?

I'll be heading out there on june 16th for good and wanted some info on this topic.

Thank you
Hi,
It has been gaining a lot here in the Great Lakes and Chicago area, it is spread by mosquitos and we've lost plenty of birds and creatures to it and some people too.

Advice is the same as to avoid mosquitos, coverage, spray and avoiding the outdoors at prime mosquito time.

Gen

Old 06-04-2007, 06:19 PM

351 posts, read 1,585,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smuboy86 View Post
West nile is spread to humans by a certain species of mosquito. The way they detect west nile is actually by bird though. As of right now San Antonio and Bexar county is west nile free. Dallas does have west nile so it is in the state of Texas, but for now SA is safe.

My bad, I was thinking of LYME Disease, that is the one that is spread by deer ticks.

Whoops...

crazedchef

Do not really know about the West Nile Virus. That is something else I do not want to know too much about otherwise I will become too paranoid to EVER venture outside for fear of catching something else from the damn moisquitos.

Old 08-21-2012, 03:03 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,987,315 times
I know this thread is over five years old, but since it existed this belongs in it and not a new one.

I got this from the SAPD...

Quote:
We keep getting reminders about West Nile Virus in the Dallas area. The attached fact sheet from Texas Department of Health might be of interest at this time. Apparently about 80% of the people that contract the virus do not even have symptoms. At the biggest risk are those over 50 and those with compromised immune systems. As far as we have been able to find only three cases have been confirmed in Bexar County, so the watch word is protection. Spraying, although popular right now, is not a good choice, many have problems with the spray used and it only kills adult mosquitoes, however it also kills other insects which eat mosquitoes. Attached fact sheet gives good suggestions on prevention.
I had to link to the fact sheet since the program running this forum doesn't allowed PDF attachments.

More info can be found on the Texas Texas Department of Health website at:

Texas Department of State Health Services, Infectious Disease Control Unit > Information for West Nile Virus in Texas

Cheers! M2

Old 08-21-2012, 03:05 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,108,718 times
Fort Sam will be fogging for West Nile mosquitoes overnight this Thursday and Friday.

http://www.woai.com/content/news/new...mmz2DEPXQ.cspx
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio