Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 12:10 PM

1,805 posts, read 4,774,335 times

Advertisements

Well, I still have to say, I WELCOME Aldi's... I had good dealings with them and thought the prices were good....
I did not do my WHOLE shopping there, but they had great prices on meat, roasts, steaks, etc. and really good prices also on packaged goods.... chips, macaroni, noodles, bread, condiments, canned goods....

They also had consumer size and business size packaging... The lady who cooked the Wednesday night dinners at church shopped at Aldi's, and we were no small crowd to feed. (We paid something like $2.50 or $3.00 for the meals, IIRC. Families with two or more children got discounts.)

I have been to stores where you have to pay a quarter for your cart, but Aldi's was not one of them; perhaps they will do that here in Dallas, though.
It seems as though you paid the quarter for the cart, but got refunded when you returned it and 'fastened/locked' it onto the chain of carts....
Otherwise, people would just leave them sitting in the lots for others to grab for free.....

I plan on being there on opening day.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 12:12 PM

574 posts, read 1,337,938 times
I look at Aldi's as a place where people do supplemental shopping for those on a particular budget. I haven't been since I was a kid and could not speak to their quality now, but I do remember some really yummy thin flower shaped butter cookies there that I can't find anywhere else.

I don't think there would be that many Aldi's being built and the stores were always very small from what I can remember to be an actual threat to either HEB or Wal-mart.

Now I'd love to see a Wegman's down in TX. They are a really nice chain, and I've had nothing but good shopping experiences with them while I lived in Rochester, NY.

Old 03-16-2010, 12:18 PM

2,260 posts, read 5,614,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadlockd View Post
I do remember some really yummy thin flower shaped butter cookies there that I can't find anywhere else.
The ones with the hole in the middle and you could wear them on your finger? YES! I loved those.

Now whenever I handle CDs, I always think of those cookies - it's the hole in the middle, then putting it on my index finger.

Old 03-16-2010, 12:35 PM

574 posts, read 1,337,938 times
Lol yes Linda those are the ones.

My sister's and I used to put them on our fingers like rings too, lol. CD's also bring back memories of those cookies, I remember they even had a chocolate/butter swirl.

Ahhhh the memories....

Old 03-16-2010, 12:51 PM

874 posts, read 2,892,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pr57001 View Post
I believe it's because your average Aldi shopper is more apt to push the cart home, to the bus stop, or sell it for scrap metal.
Funny... since I went to Aldi's in Germany when we lived there (admittedly, my mom did a lot of shopping at the commissary as well, but we lived on the economy and so frequently shopped in our village, too) as well as in locations throughout Europe, to me the "average Aldi shopper" is the little old German woman who has carried her own bags to various markets for years and who still sweeps the street in front of her house.

I likely wouldn't do the bulk of my shopping at Aldi's, but would welcome one in my area for quick trips. Right now we do most of the grocery shopping at Super Target with some trips to Whole Foods and Central Market thrown in for variety... and HEB in reserve for last-minute ingredients or when I don't have the energy to go anywhere else (HEB is closest to us). There is an Aldi's near where my parents live in Omaha and it seems they had quite good prices on things like milk.

Old 03-16-2010, 05:56 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,993,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Actually, it is pretty commonplace in Europe to have to put in a "deposit" for a shopping cart; and the interesting thing about it is, you very rarely see carts left abandoned in the parking lot!

It is a program that Walmart and other large stores need to adopt!
when I was a kid in the 70s, krogers stores had such a machine. I used it as a way to make $$. I would help the customers with the groceries and explain that I wanted the basket for the quarter. some of them would tip me. it seems like slave labor now, but to a 13 year old kid, it was great.

Old 03-16-2010, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
I've been to Food4Less in CA.....my mother's small town has Lucky, Randall's, Albertson's, Trader Joe's, Food4Less, and farmer's market every Thursday night. With the high cost of living in CA, she actually pays less for her groceries. She thinks HEB is really high-priced whenever she comes for a visit. Although, she does gripe about Albertson's there--the most expensive of all her choices.
which town is that? I've never heard of CA grocery stores coming out cheaper except if you clipped all your coupons for double savings. Food 4 Less is a lot cheaper than ralphs or vons though. $$ can be saved on vegetables, fruits by going to mexican or persian markets where they sell "second hand" stuff, but you must use it fairly quickly.

Old 03-16-2010, 06:34 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,979,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verio View Post
Not to derail... but how is the Commissary? I still have rights to shop on base... I wonder if they'll give me a hard time for being ex-Navy
The Lackland commissary is great, just avoid paydays as it gets really crowded. Weekends are also a bit hectic, but doable; it's just quieter during the week (minus paydays). If you can shop there, my wife highly recommends it!

Oh, they now have instant depositing of checks, in case you or anyone else partakes in the old military tradition of "floating" checks a day or two before payday. The BX at Lackland will soon have the same capability, once they run your check, the money is immediately taken out of the account (or shortly afterward).

Cheers! M2

Old 03-16-2010, 07:54 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,019,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
which town is that?.
San Luis obispo. And no, I'm not asking my 75 year old
mother to scan her receipts as proof.

Old 03-16-2010, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
san luis obispo. And no, i'm not asking my 75 year old
mother to scan her receipts as proof.
lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio