Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 03:23 PM

10 posts, read 45,165 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are planning an extended weekend getaway for December. We've discussed going to San Antonio for a few days. Does anyone have recommendations on good hotels along/near the Riverwalk? or should we look at other parts of San Antonio? We've been before but didn't get to spend a lot of time by the river and thought it might be fun.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

PS-any must-see/must-do things in San Antonion? (already been to the Alamo a few times)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2007, 03:27 PM

1,241 posts, read 4,333,578 times
La Mansion.

Omni La Mansion del Rio Hotel, San Antonio, Texas Photo Gallery Page

Last edited by SA Greed; 09-04-2007 at 03:29 PM.. Reason: adding link

Old 09-04-2007, 03:53 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,602,005 times
It would help to know what you want to spend on the hotel, but prices for a Riverwalk or even close to the river will be higher than most other areas. I travel a lot and have frequent stay points with Hilton and Hyatt chains, so I always try to stay at the Hawthorn at the north end of the riverwalk and my wife really likes the Amerisuites at the south end of the river. I can't tell you prices of these per say, but the Hawthorne is normally around $160 per night and the Amerisuites is closer to $110 I think. The big difference for me is that the Hawthorn beds are nicer, the Amerisuites breakfast is better....both are convenient to the river, Hawthorn is closer to the touristy downtown but not by much unless you are walking. Amerisuites is closer to La Villita if you are on foot.

You need to check around for specials, discounts and getaway packages to make the best deal.

Old 09-04-2007, 04:11 PM

781 posts, read 3,815,892 times
The Marriott Riverwalk with the balcony overlooking the riverwalk is fun if you like to people watch. They have a good breakfast buffet and the rooms are nice.

Old 09-04-2007, 04:41 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,881,476 times
To me the finest hotel is the "La Mansion". It's all class, be damned the price when it's a special trip. It's right on the river, get a room with a river balcony. the Sunday brunch is fabulous. You can walk to anything downtown.

Old 09-04-2007, 05:33 PM

39 posts, read 294,081 times
On our 2nd trip to SA, we stayed at the Hyatt on the Riverwalk. It was awesome. The room was modern and spacious, and there was an exit right onto the Riverwalk from the lobby. Check out Travel Deals: Airfare, Vacations, Cruises, and More | Travelzoo. We lucked out and got a great deal on that website.

Happy travels!

Old 09-04-2007, 06:16 PM

181 posts, read 674,112 times
I would definitely look into the Hotel Valencia. It's a beautiful boutique hotel with an excellent restaurant and bar.

Hotel San Antonio Riverwalk Texas | San Jose Hotels CA | San Jose Lodging California

Old 09-04-2007, 06:53 PM
Rockin' The TriCities

n/a posts
I had friends staying at La Mansion last month, and I was really dissapointed in the quality of their room. It was huge, and it had a lovely situation, but the furniture and the bathroom were Drury quality at best. And they certainly weren't paying Drury prices or getting all the Drury freebies. The service was abysmal, Las Canarias was mediocre, and all in all it is not the hotel it used to be. Omni swears they are going to gut it and upgrade it though, which would be nice as the location is unbeatable.

(Speaking of Drury Inn, the one on the river is pretty great for what it is - big two room suites with kitchenettes and balconies for 150-160 a night, plus free breakfast, cocktails and snacks).

I like the Valencia if you are in to that modern thing. I like the Watermark a lot but the prices are obscene - for the price of a regular room I can get a suite with a fountain view at the Bellagio.

My favorite downtown hotel is the Westin. It's on a quiet section of the river, and is very pleasant with great rooms.

I have a soft spot for the Menger, but the rooms are very...quirky. Sometimes you get a tiny room in the old part with lovely furnishings, and sometimes you get an enormous room in the newer part with a bed that looks like they stole it from the Bates Motel. But it can't be beat for ambiance and history - go have a drink in the bar, at the least.

Old 09-04-2007, 07:06 PM

76 posts, read 270,751 times
Las Canarias mediocre?! Gosh. I can't believe it.

FWAppraiser, the Riverwalk is gorgeous in December with the Christmas lights over the water. Even if it's drizzly, it's beautiful.

Old 09-04-2007, 07:14 PM
Rockin' The TriCities

n/a posts
It was not good, my friend. Very sad. Hopefully it will be restored to some of its former glory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio