Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 09:51 PM

18,126 posts, read 25,266,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
People do not eat enough. Yes, I don't think people eat enough food.
From what city are you posting from?

Forget about the government getting people to eat healthier, because it's never going to happen.
The only way the government could help, is by providing places for people to go to exercise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2010, 10:00 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,399,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
This should be interesting...

So, how much of an impact does everyone think this is going to have?

Cheers! M2
Absolutely none. They need to build more parks and especially trails...the nearest park to us is definitely not even biking distance! We see people jogging all the time in the Westover Hills area....on dirt, because there are no sidewalks...

If that federal money will somehow magically keep people from shoving Cheddar's-sized portions in their mouth and start looking for healthier options...then I'm all for it...

Old 03-19-2010, 10:06 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,705,582 times
But guys...you can have the best parks and all the trails in the world...but that's not going to get people out. We have better weather than the northerners, yet, they get out more than we do.

Old 03-19-2010, 10:10 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Absolutely none. They need to build more parks and especially trails...the nearest park to us is definitely not even biking distance! We see people jogging all the time in the Westover Hills area....on dirt, because there are no sidewalks...
There are about 10 miles of new greenway trail open in the past two years, plus another 2 miles of new Riverwalk, with more of both on the way. Hardberger Park will open later this year. The park projects are done and underway thanks to bond money voted in a few years ago, so I'd like to see some of this money go to encouraging people to use these resources.

Old 03-19-2010, 10:11 PM

Quote:
But guys...you can have the best parks and all the trails in the world...but that's not going to get people out. We have better weather than the northerners, yet, they get out more than we do.

Well, that's why I don't walk out of my subdivision when I go walking. I used to love to do laps around our park nearby in my old 'hood.

Sometimes you have to plant the seeds, but yeah, I sort of agree with what you're saying.

Old 03-19-2010, 10:11 PM

18,126 posts, read 25,266,042 times
Quote:
I think you are wrong,
a city park is the cheapest and easiest way to take care of kids.
Just open the door and they'll do the rest for 3 hours.

Old 03-19-2010, 10:15 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I think you are wrong,
a city park is the cheapest and easiest way to take care of kids.
Just open the door and they'll do the rest for 3 hours.
But don't you watch the news? There are kidnappers and molesters on every street! That's why the kids have to stay inside now.

It would be nice if more people had your carefree view, but I suspect my previous paragraph is closer to the norm.

Old 03-19-2010, 11:05 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,339,147 times
not buying the "not enough parks, therefore we're all overweight" argument either. Probably could put a park on every corner and kids would still be on the couch playing video games and eating potato chips.

We didn't have a "park" near our house growing up either, but we also didn't have cable until I was 17. Didn't have a computer until I was 27. I did have atari, but you can only play pac-man sooo many times I woke up, ate breakfast and was kicked outside until dinner. As are my kids

Last edited by stoneoak; 03-19-2010 at 11:26 PM..

Old 03-19-2010, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneoak View Post
not buying the "not enough parks, therefore we're all overweight" argument either.
but who is saying that is the sole problem? I think we all know it's a combination of things.

Old 03-20-2010, 12:00 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,447,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaGrace View Post
They need to start with taking soda machines out of the schools. Why in the heck would a school district agree to have soda vending machines for the kids?

Same goes with other snack machines, if they have them - easy access to sodas, chips, and sweets would make plenty of kids ignore the healthier (if boring) choices available at lunch time.

It is not just the soda machines and "snacks" from vending machines, they serve up this stuff as "food" in the lines...nachos, pizza, burgers, frito pie...the stuff they pass as "food line" options are as bad if not worse. Offering a balanced meal will met with little acceptance as long as the "good stuff" is still offered. If we only served a balanced meal vs being able to "select" from the junk food line, vending machines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio