U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 01:27 PM

6 posts, read 20,312 times

Advertisements

Any Info Anyone Could Give Me On Bandera Would Greatly Be Appreciated.... I Am A Widowed Mom Of A 12 And A 7 Year Old... I Am Looking For A Great Place To Raise My Kids With Very Low Crime, And Very Little Tornadoes And Of Course Great Schools...AND PREFERABLY A CATHOLIC CHURCH NEAR BY...... Please Help...thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2007, 02:34 PM

5,640 posts, read 14,492,891 times
You will like Bandera for those reaons. think you wanna try a "cowboy church"? It's actually becoming real popular.

Anyways, I'm not sure with Tornadoes as I've only been here in the region for about a year and a half.

Old 06-06-2007, 12:15 AM

75 posts, read 359,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten2271 View Post
Any Info Anyone Could Give Me On Bandera Would Greatly Be Appreciated.... I Am A Widowed Mom Of A 12 And A 7 Year Old... I Am Looking For A Great Place To Raise My Kids With Very Low Crime, And Very Little Tornadoes And Of Course Great Schools...AND PREFERABLY A CATHOLIC CHURCH NEAR BY...... Please Help...thanks
I have visited Bandera many times through the years; my mother grew up in Bandera County. I think it is a beautiful little town, the county seat of Bandera County. The Medina River runs through it, and it is a pretty popular tourist destination, with dude ranches and lots of hunting and fishing.

St. Stanislaus Catholic Church is located there. I took my mother to her class reunion there last summer; she graduated from Bandera High School in 1940! We had the opportunity to tour this beautiful little church. I think it has recently been restored.

Several of my cousins' kids are recent graduates or currently attend Bandera schools, which are 4A. As far as I know, they are good schools; I have never heard anybody say anything derogatory about them at our yearly family reunions. Here is the url of Bandera ISD: Bandera Independent School District: Bandera, Texas USA .

My parents have received The Bandera Bulletin, which is a weekly newspaper, for many years. Its url is Bandera Bulletin . I think there may be another newspaper there called The Bandera Review, but I couldn't locate its website.

I hope some of this information helps! Good luck in your search!

Old 06-07-2007, 03:04 PM

texasnick and lesliegrace.....thank you both so much for your input....i greatly appreciate your help.....do either of you know about the cost of living in bandera? i have done lots of research including city-data.com which says the cost of living is low but would like to know from real people first hand. i am on a fixed income and i am tired of telling my children no or sorry not right now.... need to live comfortably on approx $3,000 a month....

Old 06-07-2007, 03:06 PM

and i am sorry...but what exactly is a "cowboy church" i would like to find a cowboy to while i'm at it...lol

Old 06-07-2007, 11:39 PM

75 posts, read 359,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten2271 View Post
texasnick and lesliegrace.....thank you both so much for your input....i greatly appreciate your help.....do either of you know about the cost of living in bandera? i have done lots of research including city-data.com which says the cost of living is low but would like to know from real people first hand. i am on a fixed income and i am tired of telling my children no or sorry not right now.... need to live comfortably on approx $3,000 a month....
I've never lived in Bandera; as I said before, I have visited there a lot, and I always get the impression that things like gasoline and groceries cost a little more there than they do where I live (Orange, which is in Southeast Texas), mainly because it is a small town. I know that my aunts often shop in larger places like San Antonio, Kerrville, and/or Boerne, probably for better selection and maybe also for better prices. I see that you live in Pennsylvania; I'm not really sure how the costs of living in the two different places would compare. I would think that Pennsylvania would be more expensive, generally speaking, but who knows? Gasoline prices have been really crazy where I live in the last few months, ranging anywhere from a low of about $1.87 per gallon to more than $3.00. I guess they have fluctuated wildly all over the country.

I'm also not sure about real estate prices; I get the impression they are on the upswing. Some people who live in Bandera commute to jobs in San Antonio, and I think that this part of Texas is experiencing a boom. (I know that the Boerne area appears to have grown a lot in the last few years.) I imagine housing costs will determine whether you will be able to comfortably live on $3,000 a month.

I'm not sure what TexasNick means by a "cowboy church"; hopefully, he will explain.

I think tornado activity is pretty rare in this area, but maybe I just haven't heard about it.

I know that parts of town flooded pretty badly back in 1978 or so; Bandera received many inches of rain in a twenty-four hour period, and the river got out of its banks. (I thought that I remembered it being twenty-four inches in twenty-four hours, which would have been a huge amount, so I looked it up online; it said that in August of 1978, the north prong of the Medina River is thought to have received forty-eight inches of rain in a twenty-four hour period! The source called this a 500 year flood!) I do know that any time it rains, people should be careful about driving through low-water crossings because they can be dangerous; cars can get swept off the road.

Hopefully somebody who actually lives in or near Bandera can give you more specific information than I. Have you had the opportunity to visit?

Old 06-08-2007, 01:40 AM

2,800 posts, read 9,529,495 times
Hello,
Although I am not from Texas (yet anyway ), I am also researching moving to the San Antonio area. If you are purchasing a home, make sure you do plenty of research because the property taxes are very high in Texas. I don't know what your tax rate is there in Texas, but I know that the homes I have looked at in most parts of Texas, the property taxes are about 3 times the amount that I pay here in Arizona ...so we are trying to budget accordingly . My home here is worth about $250,000 and our taxes are $1200 per year...in Texas some of the homes that run around $140,000, their taxes run about $3,000 per year...big difference! But it really depends on the area you look at and the value of the home...
If you are looking at renting...sorry, I can't really help you much

I was also looking at Bandera, but I'm afraid it would be a little too far for us to commute everyday. I am now looking around Helotes and Boerne and maybe even northern SA.

Good luck to you...I know your situation cannot be easy! I will keep you in my prayers!

Old 06-08-2007, 03:26 AM

2,639 posts, read 2,690,380 times
The property tax rate in Bandera is $15.04 per $1,000 of home value. Some areas in Texas are less and some are more but nevertheless and as you say, kawgpz500, they are quite high.

We have a cowboy church in my area as well and like TexasNick says, they're becoming quite popular. I don't know about others but at the one near me, bales of hay are set throughout the sanctuary as well as pews. One can wear boots, hats, and all the cowboy gear or he or she may dress up like one normally sees at church.

There is a band that plays very loudly and each Sunday, they have about 700 in attendance, and I live in a very small town. I don't know where they all come from. I haven't visited it yet, but plan to some time this summer.

Median home cost in Bandera is only about $91,500. Overall and health cost of living doesn't seem too bad. Overall crime is relatively low. The Bandera area historical tornado activity is significantly below Texas state average. It is 13% smaller than the overall U.S. average, so that's a good thing.

I would definitely consider living there if I were to stay in Texas, but it does get quite hot with a not so desirable comfort level ranking even lower than where I live in Central Texas. Some people can get used to that though. Air quality is good at 78 on a scale to 100 as opposed to San Antonio with a 5. To me, that's VERY important when one chooses to relocate.

Old 06-08-2007, 08:38 AM

5,640 posts, read 14,492,891 times
Thanks KewGee, you took the words out of my mouth.

Old 06-08-2007, 08:59 AM

2,767 posts, read 4,911,559 times
Aren't these cowboy churches sort of glorified riding clubs with the advantage of since they call themselves a church, they are tax exempt? Actually not a bad deal for them. When I was a kid, I know there were a lot of riding clubs around you could join, offered trail rides, playdays, ropings, etc. I don't know if they could get a nonprofit classifaction or not, I doubt that they could, therefore..taxes. This way, meet, hold services, then go on with all the activities of a riding club, but with the advantage of being tax exempt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio