Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 01:36 PM

9 posts, read 56,837 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I will be moving to SA on job and work place wold be in Stone Oak. Wondering which is the best place to settle down in terms of Schools & Homes. I can afford upto 450k - max 500k for a home and willing to buy one for investment (may not stick for more than 2 - 3 yrs in SA) as well as living. Looking for a place with potential Home price increase in the near future. Best Home builder around 78528 zip. Best Elementary schools? I was told Stone Oak and Almo Heights are good bets but which is the BEST???

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2010, 01:41 PM

436 posts, read 1,613,856 times
if you only plan on staying a few years, I think an alamo heights home would would be easier to sell later. there are fewer of them, esp. in the price range you mentioned. stone oak has many more homes/more competion for selling.

as to which one fits your needs better, you would need to make that decision yourself. the traffic in stone oak can be quite heavy, so you might want to live as close to his work as possible to save the commute time/headache.

Old 03-31-2010, 02:11 PM

330 posts, read 1,372,711 times
Those are VERY different neighborhoods. To grossly oversimplify each into one word, I'll go with Stone Oak = New, Alamo Heights = Charm.

Like needsomeinfo pointed out, which one is better really depends on what you're looking for. Unfortunately, the criteria you mentioned (best potential for short-term $$ appreciation and best elementary schools) are some of the few criteria where they're really pretty equal, so that won't help much with making the final cut. This choice will probably come down to what sort of neighborhoods you prefer to live in. New/clean/modern, or Old/charm/pretty.

Both neighborhoods are discussed with incredible frequency on this board, so search around. I would say that overall this forum has a bit of a pro-Alamo Heights slant, but you'll find plenty of correct opinions both ways.

Old 03-31-2010, 02:34 PM

1 posts, read 4,746 times
Default Both are winners!

Drzy is spot on with his comments. Stone Oak is getting ready to have a lot of road construction on 281(main artery) as well as the 281 and 1604 intersection. While I personally don't think traffic is that bad compared to other major cities that I have lived in, many will tell you traffic is terrible in the Stone Oak area. That is something I would personally recommend you drive for yourself. You can go here, [URL="http://www.stoneoakpropertyvalues.com"]www.stoneoakpropertyvalues.com[/URL], and get detailed information about both areas, not just housing, but schools, crime, demographics, proximity to municipalities, everyday necessities...all things that will factor into your final decision. Best of luck to you where ever you land.

Old 03-31-2010, 04:03 PM

1,220 posts, read 2,681,571 times
Alamo Heights more centrally located in the city. Easy access to all parts of the city as opposed to the crazy traffic in Stone Oak, which is still considered out of city limits. Alamo Heights also offers smaller, more established neighborhoods than the booming Stone Oak. AH also has fabulous schools, older yes, but widely respected.

Old 03-31-2010, 06:21 PM

203 posts, read 561,269 times
I live in Stone Oak and I want to leave. The traffic sucks!!! Alamo Heights would have been my first choice but it was out of my price range.

Old 03-31-2010, 06:34 PM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,733,223 times
The thing with Stone Oak is that unless you are in the morning/evening rush traffic, most everything is within a couple of miles.....

Old 03-31-2010, 07:53 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,409,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGJ View Post
The thing with Stone Oak is that unless you are in the morning/evening rush traffic, most everything is within a couple of miles.....

Stuck in traffic, does it matter if if is 2 or 20 miles away?

Old 04-01-2010, 12:04 AM

258 posts, read 637,816 times
Alamo Heights, contact me when it's time to sell. Maybe we can afford it then.

Old 04-01-2010, 12:42 AM

97 posts, read 251,594 times
Everyone forgets to mention Shavano Park. I know your looking at AH or Stone Oak, but you might want to check out Shavano Park as well!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio