Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 02:55 PM

1,552 posts, read 2,315,148 times

Advertisements

Some grains of truth here. HEB is pushing their brands to the exclusion of others in some categories. Also, I really don't need to wander by cheap clothes and furniture for groceries. I really like the Alon market for a food stop if I don't go to Central Market.

They also need some more imaginative take out - seeing almond crusted tilapia in central market and Alon - boring!

Wonder what will happen to the old store - a giant Dollar store?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 02:57 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,890,638 times
So what's the story behind the alleged dead body found on the site? I still haven't seen any reporting on that discovery...

Old 04-04-2011, 03:43 PM

15,927 posts, read 8,112,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
I thought they nixed the Plus idea? The only thing I liked about it was the large garden center. And yes, Houston HEB's are very nice. If you're from here and go there, you don't even feel like you're in the same store. Huge difference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spursfan View Post
I don't believe so, a new one just opened up in Bulverde.
..................and it sux!

Huge a$$ store! Every thing HEB brand, Pharmacy is slower than molasses, huge dam shopping carts, no deli, no photo processing. But yeah, humongous garden shop & 52" TV's!

Old 04-04-2011, 03:47 PM

117 posts, read 341,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
So what's the story behind the alleged dead body found on the site? I still haven't seen any reporting on that discovery...
This is pretty much all that was said about it:

Human remains found behind HEB at construction site | WOAI.COM: San Antonio News

Old 04-04-2011, 04:34 PM

2,312 posts, read 3,650,155 times
Wierd..... I was at Hills and Dales last weekend and was talking to the bartender, and he mentioned that remains had been found in the woods behind their building about a month ago...just a few bones. I cant find a story on this online though so it may be no big deal.

Old 04-04-2011, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Police said they believe the cause of death was natural but would not say why they think that.
Given the large number of panhandlers/homeless people that hang out at the 1604 & Bandera Road intersection, it's not entirely unlikely that it was one of them whose body they found...

Old 04-04-2011, 10:56 PM

4,052 posts, read 5,613,920 times
Ummm...where are they? I haven't seen those large numbers...and I am around there usually about twice a week!

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Given the large number of panhandlers/homeless people that hang out at the 1604 & Bandera Road intersection, it's not entirely unlikely that it was one of them whose body they found...

Old 04-04-2011, 10:59 PM

779 posts, read 1,653,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetie Pie View Post
..................and it sux!

Huge a$$ store! Every thing HEB brand, Pharmacy is slower than molasses, huge dam shopping carts, no deli, no photo processing. But yeah, humongous garden shop & 52" TV's!
so they can take away the store brands and you can just pay an extra $2-$3 on every item you want. course then people would be complaining about raising prices. that's what it comes down to. store brands are a leverage that puts the power back in the hand of the retailer, not the manufacturer.

like someone else said, retailer of the year award means they probably know what they're doing regardless if some think "they suck". can't please em' all.

Old 04-04-2011, 11:31 PM

898 posts, read 2,553,395 times
I actually like their store brands for most things (bagels and paper towels notwithstanding). A good rule of thumb for anyone interested: H-E-B brands are the highest quality and sometimes the exact same brand name product in another package, Hill Country Fare is lower quality and alot cheaper as well obviously.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee W. View Post
Ummm...where are they? I haven't seen those large numbers...and I am around there usually about twice a week!
There are always panhandlers at Bandera & 1604, especially at the intersection going westward in front of the HEB gas station. It's one of their favorite spots, that and Culebra & 1604 and Military & 90...

We live just up the road so I pass by there several times a week. Sometimes they'll be gone for a while, I think the SAPD runs them off; but they'll show back up. It's been like that for the past six years, and also the three years that we lived in this area previously.

Drive an open Jeep and you'll be more cognizant of them! Nothing like having a smelly, dirty person trying to bum money off standing two feet away!

Usually they'll notice my glaring stare and steer clear of me, but sometimes even with my kids in the Jeep they'll walk up. If they're smart they do so on the driver's side, but if they come up towards my kids and don't heed to my "no thanks" warning, they might find themselves in for a nasty surprise!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio