Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2015, 11:41 PM

5 posts, read 7,917 times

Advertisements

I am moving from Montana to Texas for warmer weather, hubby's parents in Tx and want that southern life...Lived in GA and NC before so know about heat and humidity... my question is..Where is a town that has that "hope floats"( the movie that was filmed in a small Texas town) kind of qualities...Country western dance halls( hubby is a born and raised cowboy) small Main Street, fishing, county fairs and festivals, good food, maybe horse ranch or a small hobby farm capability? I have been told, Gruene or New Braunfels, Fredricksburg, Georgetown.... any suggestions or advice about these? Thanks for any help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2015, 05:19 PM

7 posts, read 10,435 times
New Braunfels is still a charming town but it is growing quickly right now and might not be the best option if you are looking for a small town but it does still have the county fairs and festivals that you are looking for. I would suggest Boerne or Fredricksburg though as they have kept the small town feel longer than New Braunfels.

Old 02-08-2015, 05:37 PM

6,707 posts, read 8,781,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostTdiz View Post
I am moving from Montana to Texas for warmer weather, hubby's parents in Tx and want that southern life...Lived in GA and NC before so know about heat and humidity... my question is..Where is a town that has that "hope floats"( the movie that was filmed in a small Texas town) kind of qualities...Country western dance halls( hubby is a born and raised cowboy) small Main Street, fishing, county fairs and festivals, good food, maybe horse ranch or a small hobby farm capability? I have been told, Gruene or New Braunfels, Fredricksburg, Georgetown.... any suggestions or advice about these? Thanks for any help
Hope Floats was filmed in Smithville, TX. None of the towns you listed will compare because Smithville has a population under 4,000. Closest in comparison would be Gruene or Boerne and farthest would be New Braunfels.

New Braunfels now is just another big city along the I-35 corridor. Quickly becoming another mass of retail stores and cookie cutter houses.

Old 02-08-2015, 10:53 PM

Thank you Elisebristow and Azure110 for the reply...

Old 02-09-2015, 02:49 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,726 posts, read 58,079,686 times
Kerrville gives you stable economy, lower prices, and access to nearby towns (like London, TX Dance Hall)
Country Dance Halls Harper, TX

Saving Texas Dance Halls, One Two-Step At A Time : NPR

Nice thing about Kerrville is that it is NOT ethic centric, as are NB and Fredricksburg. Those can be 'closed' societies / PITA. I find Kerrville very friendly / accepting of newcomers. It has lost a lot of manufacturing jobs, hopefully some of that will come back. Mooney is hiring.

What is the type of work / pay you require?

Housing Budget?

Kids? (Need college / High School / Daycare?)

Old 02-09-2015, 07:31 AM

This is a stupid question i an sure but what is ethic centric? I have an idea but could you elaborate? I have read good things about Kerrville on here. Also what kind of business is Mooney?
We are looking to pay around a $1000 rent or little more...we were hoping for a farmhouse house with a little acreage that we could have chickens and a horse or two...
We have 2 children 5 and under, so would like a good elementary school.
We would be looking for any type of work from manufacturing, construction, office jobs, waitressing, bartending, oil rig work, retail jobs, ranch work jobs,etc.

My husband works in the oil drilling field in North Dakota and I stay at home with one child but will need to work so I would be looking for daycare or my hubby and I would need to switch off work schedules day and night so one could be home with the kids if he quits the oil fields.

We really want a town that has a cute main street that you can hang out on, somewhere in town or close to our town that has a dance hall or western bar/bars where people dance.. maybe close to a river or lake where my hubby can fish, HE LOVE TO FISH WITH HIS BOYS, my husband is a cowboy that would love to work on a ranch somewhere or guest ranch...Was wondering about places with that kind of work....maybe Bandera???? We want county fairs and festivals, flea markets...like a place where football games and sports are a big tradition on weeekends...we like small towns and kind of the mayberry feel i suppose...but need to also have work and not be too expensive..tree lined streets would be a plus but not a necessity...towns do not have to have home depots and walmarts, target, etc...I like to scrapbook and would like get togethers with people...also would like to go to a church, we are not especially into a particular organization...just looking to make sure kids get good morals with youth groups and Sunday school... I appreciate so much any opinions...I am getting ready to road trip in a few days and looking for towns to visit around hill country, Austin, North San Antonio, west of Houston....thanks again!!!

Last edited by LostTdiz; 02-09-2015 at 07:40 AM..

Old 02-09-2015, 07:36 AM

340 posts, read 645,880 times
Kerrville may fit your needs. It is big enough that most, if not all, of your needs (shopping, groceries, medical) would be met ... but still feels small. The annual Christmas parade is wonderful, there is always some hometown happenings on the courthouse square, and there are "useful" shops in the Main Street/Courthouse square area (unlike some hillcountry towns, where it is all expensive boutiques).

Old 02-09-2015, 07:39 AM

340 posts, read 645,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostTdiz View Post
This is a stupid question i an sure but what is ethic centric?
I think the poster meant "ethnic centric", referring to the strong German heritage of those cities. Anyone else is considered an outsider.

Old 02-09-2015, 07:52 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,781,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmergencyOps View Post
I think the poster meant "ethnic centric", referring to the strong German heritage of those cities. Anyone else is considered an outsider.
The whole ethnic centric thing doesn't really seem to exist anymore. You could defiantly feel it in towns like Castroville and Fredericksburg 20 years ago, but not so much now. Most "small towns" near San Antonio have been completely overrun by "outsiders" now.

I can't believe I forgot to mention Kerrville because my sister lives there. Great little town that has managed to keep its charm better than any other town listed in this thread but kinda far from San Antonio and Austin (which probably is why it has kept its charm well). Not sure if OP's intention was to stay close to San Antonio area.

Good luck finding a job in Kerrville though. It is tough to find a decent paying job there depending on what your background is.

Old 02-09-2015, 03:11 PM

2,382 posts, read 3,503,207 times
I would look in the Comfort area also.
Between Boerne and Kerrville.
Historic small town on the Guadalupe river.

The Comfort Chamber of Commerce - An Antique Town est.1854 - (830) 995-3131- Comfort, Texas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio