Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 10:57 PM

1,287 posts, read 3,804,339 times

Advertisements

What sort of upgrades? You can get a new phone every two years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2007, 10:18 PM

29 posts, read 92,692 times
Sprint is pretty much the way to go in SA,everyone I know has Sprint,after 1 year you get $75 off a upgrade phone 2nd year its $150. Very affordable.

Old 04-06-2007, 08:10 AM

154 posts, read 629,356 times
We have had Sprint for years, and plan to keep it in SA. Hubby has been there now for several weeks - calling me here in SC a LOT - and we've had no problems. He's been all over the city using his phone, and it's been fine. No dropped calls or bad reception, ever.

The only problem we've had with Sprint is that once in awhile someone will call and the phone won't ring. Then you'll get a message, when you never even heard the phone ring to begin with!

It doesn't happen often enough to be a problem, though, and their customer service and coverage is so good we've kept them, despite that little occasional glitch.

Old 04-06-2007, 02:21 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,624,243 times
I've been using Cingular for more than 3 years now and have no problems. Before that it was Sprint, but I dropped them because of bad reception west of Loop 1604 and Military Drive West.

I was wondering if anyone dropped their "land-line" service with AT&T. I wanted to make my number unlisted and was told it would be $7.65 a month extra, plus taxes! I remember it used to be $1.00. I bet they're still charging for having digital phones. Anyway, I told them that I changed my mind and to disconnect my phone line. With their pricing, no wonder they are slowly fading away. Now, I wonder if they will mess with my cell phones on Cingular (owned by AT&T)?

Old 06-06-2007, 06:46 PM

29 posts, read 86,695 times
Default Whats the best Cell phone service in SA?

My location would be mostly for inside of 1604, but outside 410, on the northwest and northeast side.

Who's the best for cell service?

Who's the best for regular phone service?

Who's the cheapest?

Who's the most expensive?

Who should be completely avoided like the plague?

Thanks in advance

Old 06-07-2007, 12:40 PM

1,805 posts, read 4,758,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saku39 View Post
To the top for some answers.
My thought is that, because phone plans, both land line and cell can differ sooooo widely based on so many factors, people haven't given any input.

I mean, goodness, even one provider can vary drastically depending on so many factors about your account, such as, how many phones? which features (out of TONS these days)? etc etc etc....

You see what I mean? Probably visiting the websites of some of the various providers will allow you to quickly gather some info to help you make a choice.

I don't think anyone is ignoring you - really; I just think that the possibilities are vast and so, it's a search you need to do on your own, because you know your needs and preferences..... Good luck in your search!!! (I know, I hate moving into new places, and I've done it so many times in my life!!!)

Old 06-07-2007, 03:49 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,821,475 times
Everyone has different needs and wants on the land line and cell phone.
I have no land line anymore. It's all cell. The cell carrier I went with is Cricket. Flat rate for ALL calls, in town or long distance. I know what the bill is month to month. And it works in SA and Houston and Austin, up to Dallas. Outside Texas, where I very seldon go anymore, I need to get a tac phone to have cell use.
But you probably have different needs.
Web sites will give you a heads up on what to expect when you call each providor.

Old 06-07-2007, 10:39 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,624,243 times
Got rid of AT&T land line as I wanted to change my number and have it not listed in the phone book. They said it would cost $10 a month to keep the number unlisted...what a rip off! I told them to go with plan B, cancel my land line account. I use my cell phone now, Cingular (owned by AT&T) which has good service for a reasonable price. Funny thing though, when I dropped the land line, I received a letter asking if I wanted to have a cell phone with them.

Old 06-08-2007, 09:46 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,304,433 times
Hello Saku! Welcome to SA! I have to agree that it's a hard question to answer not knowing what your needs are.

I happen to have Sprint. I'm not sure if it's any better than ATT or T-Mobile or any of the others. Some features are great with one company, but you give up something to get great features with another. It's all a trade off.
My whole family has changed to Sprint so we have unlimited mobile to mobile minutes. Texting is big with kids and adds up. So many features now, with pix and flix and ad gimmicks! It's enough to drive anyone insane.

RE: Land line. No offense to SBC/ATT employees, but I HATE that company. That being said, if there is a power outage, you will still have service to call out. Time Warner is the other big land liine game in town, and your phone will not work if the power goes out. I have had "issues" with both.

I did like having TW initially because I had cable, DSL, and my land line all on one bill. Life needs to be simple. But now I see ATT advertising the same.....but I know nothing about their computer provider.

Steelman mentioned private numbers..... Errrrrr! When I had SBC (now ATT), I had my first initial and last name listed with no address. As a newly divorced single mom, I wanted that security, but didn't want another dumb fee on my bill. This was a huge mistake because I was listed for example as "J Doe.....555-1234". There just happened to be a number of "J Does" (John, Jan, Judy, Josh etc) that were being hunted down by credit colllectors!!! I could never get them to stop calling!!!! They even put MY number on these people's credit reports! It was a nightmare. When I called SBC to request a new number and unlisted, I was told I had to pay a fee for it being unlisted. They allowed NO exclusions and I was told the FCC MADE them charge. ??? So I called TW and they didn't charge for an unlisted number. ??? I asked how they got around the FCC....and they said they weren't required to charge. I knew something was up, so I called SBC/ATT back and got a supervisor on the phone. She said actually it was the Public Utilities Commission, and that they don't "MAKE" them charge, they just "approve" ATT's request to charge! BIG diff......I explained to this supervisor that their lower level customer service reps needed to be trained to give out honest information. She apologized and said she would mention it. Now I hear their fee is even higher for unlisted.

So....again...it's a trade off....but I've also gone to all cell.

Sorry for being so long......I suppose this was more of a rant!

Old 06-08-2007, 12:20 PM
Rockin' The TriCities

n/a posts
I use a cell phone for 90% of my calling, but I also have a cheapo phone-only AT&T land line. I have nothing but local calling on it - no long distance, no caller id, nada. The base cost is $13 a month plus tax. I've been happy with it for the little I use it. It's nice to have a second place where people can track me down if they need me, and I like the security of it. For example, if we have another ice storm like we had this winter, and my power blows, I can't recharge my cell, but I can still make calls on my land line.

I have Cingular. So far, I like them just fine. I have good coverage. However, it seems like all of the major and minor carriers have decent to good coverage in this area, so it's probably best to decide based on features that are important to you. I do know, however, that the best pre-paid program is T Mobile. They don't charge you a daily access fee like Cingular does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio