Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 08:30 AM

705 posts, read 1,753,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
wag,
We've had several threads on how bad the SA drivers are in the past. They also drove me quite batty in the past, but I had to get used to them. I used to bike extensively in the West Hollywood to Sta Monica area, but NEVER attempted to ride on a city street that had no bike lane. i would shortcut through neighborhoods, sidewalks, crosswalks, etc until I reached the safety of a bike path. I was VERY aware that drivers had bad habits or would not see me because they were "too busy, distracted". Being aware of my surroundings was a matter of SURVIVAL. My belief is that ALL city bicyclists need to take this same kind of precaution in his/her travels.
If I rode only where there is a street with a bike lane, I would not be able to ride at all. One can safely share the road with cars without a bike lane, and without using 'sidewalks, crosswalks, etc' (which as discussed on this thread already is actually more unsafe than a road without a bike lane!) For the most part, cyclists and motorists are courteous and respect laws. It is those few who do not who garner the most attention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 09:48 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,515,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88txaggie View Post
If I rode only where there is a street with a bike lane, I would not be able to ride at all. One can safely share the road with cars without a bike lane, and without using 'sidewalks, crosswalks, etc' (which as discussed on this thread already is actually more unsafe than a road without a bike lane!) For the most part, cyclists and motorists are courteous and respect laws. It is those few who do not who garner the most attention.
Exactly. SA is lacking in bike lanes and where they exist, they often are cut short or don't make a lot of sense. In general I try to stick to bike lanes or will go out of my way by going down smaller/less trafficked roads, but there are plenty of times my only option is a major street.

If everyone chose not to ride bikes due to lack of bike lanes, we never would have gotten the lanes we have now, or the knowledge out there about rules of the road regarding bikes.

Old 03-05-2012, 12:28 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,844,926 times
We gave in and ordered two 21 speed bikes yesterday. Forge bikes from Target. We are total newbs so hope we don't strip any gears. I also hope these road bikes are ideal for a bicycle trailer which we are saving for.

(^_^')

Old 03-05-2012, 05:48 PM

216 posts, read 395,828 times
If you don't like bike riders don't move to Boerne. I don't understand why they (bike riders) want to travel on two lane roads with no shoulders. There are plenty of places to ride where they are nice wide shoulders instead of backing up traffic on the backroads

Old 03-06-2012, 08:24 AM

2,295 posts, read 2,353,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rctsat View Post
If you don't like bike riders don't move to Boerne. I don't understand why they (bike riders) want to travel on two lane roads with no shoulders. There are plenty of places to ride where they are nice wide shoulders instead of backing up traffic on the backroads
Amen. I understand using frontage roads to get to other roads in the area, but I still cannot understand why the Boerne area cyclists seem to think themselves immune from traffic laws. They have the right to ride. They also are supposed to follow the rules of the road. This doesn't include a group of 25 cyclists all going through the same stop sign as a single group. This happens every weekend at the Fair Oaks Ranch and Scenic Loop exit frontage roads.

Old 03-06-2012, 02:29 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,515,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXStrat View Post
Amen. I understand using frontage roads to get to other roads in the area, but I still cannot understand why the Boerne area cyclists seem to think themselves immune from traffic laws. They have the right to ride. They also are supposed to follow the rules of the road. This doesn't include a group of 25 cyclists all going through the same stop sign as a single group. This happens every weekend at the Fair Oaks Ranch and Scenic Loop exit frontage roads.

While I fully agree they need to respect the rules of the road, as a driver, I think I'd prefer if the 25 cyclists went through the stop sign as one unit (after stopping and waiting their turn, of course). I think it'd be easier to deal with them as one group, rather than cars having to wait for 1-2 cyclists 10 times as they cross.

As for using back roads - that's funny. Others complain about the cyclists on the larger roads, and now there's complaint about them on the back roads. I don't at all blame anyone on a bike for choosing to cycle on a less trafficked road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio