Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 05:22 AM

8,399 posts, read 23,012,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nummeny View Post
by the way, to majormadmax, we will be bringing our own deep fat fryer to make our chips!
Yeah, but will it run on 110v?

No biggie though, there's plenty of deep fat fryers over here!

Cheers! M2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2010, 07:06 AM

790 posts, read 1,882,914 times
I liked the suggestion of looking at a map to become familiar with the area. However, I would not suggest actually living on the South Side. You'll most likely be in SAISD schools (San Antonio Independent School District). My father was stationed at Brooks Air Force Base (on the South Side) and my parents very stupidly put me into SAISD schools. I wouldn't let my dog attend classes there -- especially now.

And speaking of dogs, as recent as 2006, I couldn't take my dog for a walk when visiting my mother because there were so many packs of loose, stray dogs in that area of town. I witnessed a man dumping two pit bulls out of his truck on SE Military Drive. They were ambulatory and didn't seem hurt. They ran into the country to join all the other loose strays. This behavior will impact you if you like to walk, hike or ride your bike. It's not just a problem for dog owners, unfortunately.

There are many, many nice subdivisions in San Antonio. No need to limit yourself to a single area.

Old 04-05-2010, 01:12 PM

14 posts, read 50,555 times
Hi nummeny!
Nice to hear you guys are considering our fair city. I think you'll find Texans very friendly on average. As far as your inquiry as to where to live in San Antonio, I believe you may have already been exposed to some helpful information. While there may be suitable properties and sudivisions in other areas, the north and northwest parts of S.A. are generally considered to be the most desireable areas. Helotes, Tx., which borders S.A. on its west side, is a nice option, perhaps Castroville or Floresville depending on your Husband's job location. Central S.A. offers the historic King William area and Alamo Heights. I would be happy to answer any other questions, I am a Realtor and a San Antonio Native.

Old 04-05-2010, 02:27 PM

1,893 posts, read 5,594,324 times
If you want to live on the southside for an easy commute but do not want the SAISD school district there is a fairly new subdivision just south of SE Military that is in East Central School District. It's called Monte Viejo. It's convenient to IH 37 freeway and Brooks City Base for any routine shopping. Here is a link
New homes in San Antonio, Texas | Custom home builders in San Antonio TX | Build on your own lot*–*Armadillo Homes

If you a golfer, it is right nest to the brand new Republic Golf Course.

There is an elemetary school right in the subdivision so you would even have to leave the nieghborhood to take or walk you kids to school.

Old 04-05-2010, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austindoxie1972 View Post
I liked the suggestion of looking at a map to become familiar with the area. However, I would not suggest actually living on the South Side. You'll most likely be in SAISD schools (San Antonio Independent School District). My father was stationed at Brooks Air Force Base (on the South Side) and my parents very stupidly put me into SAISD schools. I wouldn't let my dog attend classes there -- especially now.

And speaking of dogs, as recent as 2006, I couldn't take my dog for a walk when visiting my mother because there were so many packs of loose, stray dogs in that area of town. I witnessed a man dumping two pit bulls out of his truck on SE Military Drive. They were ambulatory and didn't seem hurt. They ran into the country to join all the other loose strays. This behavior will impact you if you like to walk, hike or ride your bike. It's not just a problem for dog owners, unfortunately.

There are many, many nice subdivisions in San Antonio. No need to limit yourself to a single area.
Ha! Ha! Packs of wild dogs running the neighborhood! Realllllly? That's what the Brit's call rubbish.

Old 04-05-2010, 03:09 PM

Thanks for taking the bait -- no pun intended. Here's the link to the story. And some key quotes. Take your argument to the Express-News if don't think this is a problem.

Collaring the problem of stray dogs

"Yet in some neighborhoods, residents are worried that unleashed dogs are taking over their streets. Some people have given up running, riding bikes or even venturing outside for very long.

Dr. John Herbold, a professor with the local branch of the University of Texas School of Public Health, said the numbers of stray animals and packs of dogs in San Antonio and Bexar County appear to be on the rise.

Emergency room doctors, he said, are “upset at the number of people they see” with animal bites."

Old 04-05-2010, 03:16 PM

Actually, this is a better quote:

"Richard Varn's first scare occurred in 2007, the year he became the city's chief information officer.

Riding his bicycle in Southeast Bexar County, not long after having a hip replaced, Varn encountered a formidable pack of dogs.

“There's this huge pack,” he recalled. “I mean, 40, 50 huge dogs. And they were a bunch of German shepherds, pit bulls, you name it.”

He added, “It was like a cyclist's nightmare.”

Old 04-05-2010, 03:19 PM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,740,863 times
Quote:
Actually, this is a better quote:

"Richard Varn's first scare occurred in 2007, the year he became the city's chief information officer.

Riding his bicycle in Southeast Bexar County, not long after having a hip replaced, Varn encountered a formidable pack of dogs.

“There's this huge pack,” he recalled. “I mean, 40, 50 huge dogs. And they were a bunch of German shepherds, pit bulls, you name it.”

He added, “It was like a cyclist's nightmare.”
His first mistake was not carrying along a MAC-10 or a TEC-9

Old 04-05-2010, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Thanks for taking the bait -- no pun intended. Here's the link to the story. And some key quotes. Take your argument to the Express-News if don't think this is a problem.

Collaring the problem of stray dogs

"Yet in some neighborhoods, residents are worried that unleashed dogs are taking over their streets. Some people have given up running, riding bikes or even venturing outside for very long.

Dr. John Herbold, a professor with the local branch of the University of Texas School of Public Health, said the numbers of stray animals and packs of dogs in San Antonio and Bexar County appear to be on the rise.

Emergency room doctors, he said, are “upset at the number of people they see” with animal bites."
That article might make for good copy but the truth of the matter is it's over blown rubbish. That one guy who was supposedly attached by wild dogs was riding out in the county. Not in an in city neighborhood. One comment at the end of the article outright calls him a liar. I've lived in a southeast side nieghborhood all of my life and to say that people are scared to go outside for fear of being attacked by packs of wild dogs is laughable.

Old 04-05-2010, 06:08 PM

422 posts, read 757,772 times
Unless you want to commute the dreaded 281 North corridor I would stay away from 1604/281 area ...there is a community called Greenway Terrace on South Pressa between 410/1604 which is very nice. It is in the East Central District which has almost all new campuses ...new high school will be opening up this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio