Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 02:07 PM

1 posts, read 1,957 times

Advertisements

I have two books chock full of historic San Antonio photos, drawings, sketches, and history. I found both of them at Half Price Books. These were found several years ago so here is the information to help you find these books.

San Antonio Outpost of Empires by Lewis F. Fisher, copyright 1997, publisher Maverick Publishing Company.
This is an excellent book!

Old San Antonio 250 Years in Pictures, is softbound like a magazine, pulished by San Antonio Express and San Antonio Evening News. No other publishing information available. Cover price printed on front cover is $1 (ancient history?)
This book I have enjoyed looking at over and over and is full of interesting pictures and history.

I am new to the internet (less than 4 months experience) and can't help you as far as websites go, but I do think you can get copies of these two books.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 03:55 PM

132 posts, read 209,257 times
Default Great Idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
Hello Dube.......I'm a complete local history freak! I wish there was a site for great old pics of SA. I have tons of books, but I'm afraid there might be some copyright issues with scanning them and posting them.

If anyone knows how to put together a web site easily and knows about copyright laws......maybe we could get a historical web site going. I'll be glad to help. Possibly the Texas Historical Commssion might be able to help.....and may have some pictures you're interested in!

Good luck!
I would love to do a historical site about San Antonio. If I had the money and help, I would give some time to get it up and running. My parents love to tell me stories about things we pass by when we're driving and telling me what things were like when they were young.

I think as long as you're not intending to personally capitalize from the material you want to post, you should be fine posting the pictures as long as you give exact credit to the original photographer. I used to work as a volunteer in a library so we were always having to deal with copyright law. Citing is key when you're using other people's work. What would be amazing is if we could organize all of the photos in a way were you could type in your street address and bring up old pictures. That would be amazing.

Old 04-24-2012, 04:32 PM

89 posts, read 148,197 times
i have ton of stuff since i stared working with the gov. ill see if i can post them. i posted those same pics of the highways on a old thread but they got taken down for some reason.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:26 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,801,803 times
Just an FYI, guys, be really careful with the copyrights. City-Data's policy is that (1) no copyrighted photos (links only) or text materials (snippets only, with link) can be posted here, regardless of credit given or not; and, (2) anything posted on City-Data, i.e., original photos and/or text within a post, in other words, the entire posts, are instantly property of City-Data.

See City-Data's Terms of Service (ToS):

Quote:
By registering and posting on City-Data.com's Forums you grant owners of City-data.com forum a perpetual, royalty-free, non-exclusive right to license, use, modify, or publish your posts in any media and manner whatsoever.

Old 04-24-2012, 08:16 PM

132 posts, read 209,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BstYet2Be View Post
Just an FYI, guys, be really careful with the copyrights. City-Data's policy is that (1) no copyrighted photos (links only) or text materials (snippets only, with link) can be posted here, regardless of credit given or not; and, (2) anything posted on City-Data, i.e., original photos and/or text within a post, in other words, the entire posts, are instantly property of City-Data.

See City-Data's Terms of Service (ToS):

Kinda like Facebook's policy of whatever you post on Facebook becomes property of Facebook.

When it comes to copyrighted material, you're playing with fire if you want to work with anything published after 1978. Anything published after that has a lifetime copyright and you will definitely need to get permission before you use anything. However, if your stuff was published before 1978, there are other rules that apply. Copyright law is a really tricky thing.

But it's always a good idea to skim over the ToS of any website you sign up for. Sometimes you're legally signing away w/e you post.

Old 05-29-2013, 07:28 PM

235 posts, read 424,184 times
if you have a way to blow up the photo, you can see the selma city jail(the first building) on the right side of the pic, as you go around the first curve on the highway. Our Lady of Perpetual Help is is just behind the field on the left, that is now Retama Park. look closely, and you can see the church steeple. this is at ih 35 and evans road @ cibolo creek. the land on the right side of the road, in the foreground, is where The Forum is built, @ loop 1604 and IH 35.
as you get into the second turn[to the left] of IH 35(the lighter area), this is a few small houses on the cibolo creek. just short of these houses, sits the Selma Stagestop.
and, way at the end of IH35 in this photo, is approx. where fm 3009 is located.

Old 03-19-2014, 11:53 AM

1 posts, read 1,200 times
the Kit Kat Klub was next door to the Fredricksberg Drive In. it served mixed drinks back in the 50s. very nice club to be a member.

Old 03-19-2014, 09:33 PM

263 posts, read 480,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis valis View Post
the Kit Kat Klub was next door to the Fredricksberg Drive In. it served mixed drinks back in the 50s. very nice club to be a member.
Hello Dennis, my father worked there as well as a night janitor or at times during the day.Mr. Dick Jones was his boss there as well as living at the mansion at Fred.in the back.Did you know any of the family members?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio