Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 08:52 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,401,094 times

Advertisements

Ha! I loved that story about them showing up that F-18 with a ground speed check. What an adventure of a life!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 12:43 AM

739 posts, read 2,261,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
M2F is correct, it is a static display and has been gutted (no engines, avionics, instruments, etc). Seeing and touching it is no problem, but there is no way to get into it...

Cheers! M2
I still want to touch the skin. Think about touching something that can fly 2,100 mph at 82,000 feet.

Old 04-12-2010, 12:45 AM

739 posts, read 2,261,602 times
I have the SR-71 and concorde and XB-70 on flight simulator. IF the sr-71 is gassed up it actually doesn't have that much power it takes off about like a A321. The concorde is just as good in a drag race.

Old 04-12-2010, 01:27 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,805,930 times
We walked all around and underneath the SR-71 a few years back. It was out close to Military Drive if I recall correctly between Lackland and Wilford hall. Engines were huge..awesome looking aircraft!!

Old 04-12-2010, 10:54 AM

923 posts, read 1,502,073 times
Cool thread, the SR-71 is my favorite plane of all time!
How can I go and tour the one at Lackland?

Old 04-12-2010, 11:30 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,981,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chud View Post
Cool thread, the SR-71 is my favorite plane of all time!
How can I go and tour the one at Lackland?
You nicely ask someone who can take you on base...

And Chad, the Air Force Museum at Wright-Patterson AFB just outside of Dayton, Ohio has the last remaining XB-70 on display. As you may know, the other prototype was destroyed during a test flight mid-air collision with a F-104 Starfighter chase plane. The Valkyrie is awesome in person...

Plus, with the Blackbird's Mach 3.2 unclassified top speed, I would take it over the Concorde's "measly" Mach 2.04 any day! The latter was a restriction due to the amount of heat the aircraft's aluminium could sustain...

Cheers! M2

Old 04-12-2010, 05:10 PM

3,109 posts, read 9,836,515 times
Back in the 1980's-90's, I was over across the freeway from Broadway Bank, right almost under SA International Airport flight pattern. I saw a big black plane fly overhead. It had just taken off from the airport. In later years, I would swear that I had seen the SR-71 take off. It was hugh and had large engines on both sides. M2 was that possible? Was it possible that it was on display for the public to see near the end of its career? This was about 10 am.

Old 04-12-2010, 07:22 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,981,665 times
gy2020

I remember your asking in an earlier thread. To be honest, I can't say for sure, but I would have to say that if I had to guess, I would say it would be doubtful that the SR-71 would do a fly-by at SAT. There may be a lot of military traffic going through that airport, but I would bet the vast amount of it is cargo/transport. It would not make sense to have such a valuable and expensive-to-operate asset navigate through the heavy traffic in and out of SAT. Plus, considering the operational costs of the aircraft, I would expect any and all missions that late in its "life" to have been either training or actual missions. The program died a slow and lingering death due to budgeting, and the only flight I know of to a civilian airport was when the March 1990 one that set four speed records en-route from the Skunk Works in California to the Smithsonian facility at Dulles Airport...

If anything, if one came through SA while it was still flying it would have landed at Kelly/Lackand, or possibly Randolph (I am not sure of the runway length requirements for the Blackbird). I saw one while stationed in the UK during the early 80s, and was surprised at how much smaller it was than I expected. I always thought it was a much bigger aircraft, and it wasn't until I got the chance to actually get up next to one did I realize its actual size...

Cheers! M2

Old 04-12-2010, 11:11 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,666,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
gy2020

I remember your asking in an earlier thread. To be honest, I can't say for sure, but I would have to say that if I had to guess, I would say it would be doubtful that the SR-71 would do a fly-by at SAT. There may be a lot of military traffic going through that airport, but I would bet the vast amount of it is cargo/transport. It would not make sense to have such a valuable and expensive-to-operate asset navigate through the heavy traffic in and out of SAT. Plus, considering the operational costs of the aircraft, I would expect any and all missions that late in its "life" to have been either training or actual missions. The program died a slow and lingering death due to budgeting, and the only flight I know of to a civilian airport was when the March 1990 one that set four speed records en-route from the Skunk Works in California to the Smithsonian facility at Dulles Airport...

If anything, if one came through SA while it was still flying it would have landed at Kelly/Lackand, or possibly Randolph (I am not sure of the runway length requirements for the Blackbird). I saw one while stationed in the UK during the early 80s, and was surprised at how much smaller it was than I expected. I always thought it was a much bigger aircraft, and it wasn't until I got the chance to actually get up next to one did I realize its actual size...

Cheers! M2
I saw the Habu (SR-71) take off several times while stationed at Kadena AB, Okinawa, Japan. Very impressive take off!

Old 04-13-2010, 12:30 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,805,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gy2020 View Post
Back in the 1980's-90's, I was over across the freeway from Broadway Bank, right almost under SA International Airport flight pattern. I saw a big black plane fly overhead. It had just taken off from the airport. In later years, I would swear that I had seen the SR-71 take off. It was hugh and had large engines on both sides. M2 was that possible? Was it possible that it was on display for the public to see near the end of its career? This was about 10 am.
Probably early 90's I saw a B-1 Bomber fly over. It was a very impressive sight. I was at work out 87East outside 410. Bet that's what you saw.

http://www.grahamowen.com/images8/B-B1.jpg

http://photosbyloren.com/gallery/d/66-2/B1+Bomber.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio