Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 05:22 AM

722 posts, read 2,100,492 times

Advertisements

Schlitterbahn or Splashtown. We have a 2 year old in tow. which has a better kids area? Would she be able to ride with me on adult ones? the ones that turn not the ones that drop a few hundred feet in seconds. Thanks for opinions in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2010, 07:32 AM

399 posts, read 1,139,142 times
Schlitterbahn is not only the best waterpark in the SA metro area, or Texas, but the world! I'm not kidding. Go to Schlitterbahn, get there early, claim a table, take your cooler with lunch and drinks (yes this is allowed), and have a blast in the cool river water. Schlitterbahn is about 30 mins from downtown SA with no traffic.

Old 04-16-2010, 07:34 AM

1,642 posts, read 4,091,862 times
Schlitterbahn is really 2 parks, one more of a standard WP (better for young kids) and one incorparating the river. They connect by a free shuttle.

If the 2 year old is the only child, I would prob recommend Splashtown, it's inside SA, cheaper and has plenty he would enjoy.

Old 04-16-2010, 08:13 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,116,573 times
Splashtown is great if you are on a tight budget and you can sometimes find coupons on soda cans/bottles for a few bucks off admission and need to stay close to S.A.
Schiltterbahn makes a great all day or weekend type of excursion. There's the New Braunfels, South Padre and Galveston locations. The New Braunfels is the big one (from the looks of the website, there's different attractions with kiddie in its name) but if you want to do a weekend trip, do one of the other two parks and do the beach too!
Did you check out the websites yet? If not, there they are:
Schlitterbahn Waterparks - America's First Family of Waterparks
Splashtown San Antonio
Have a great time whatever you decide!

Old 04-16-2010, 08:21 AM

420 posts, read 1,155,214 times
I would say Splashtown. The water at Shlitterbahn is so cold that a 2 year old wont be able to take it for long. Also if you are not going to go on the bigger rides it is a serious waste on the ticket price. I agree it is a great park but your kiddo is a bit young to enjoy it yet.

Old 04-16-2010, 08:49 AM

611 posts, read 2,233,940 times
man up and take your kid to the Guadalupe River

no wonder today's kids are so soft

Old 04-16-2010, 08:54 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,116,573 times
Texas Vines: any admissions price for Guad. river? Never been.

Old 04-16-2010, 09:04 AM

611 posts, read 2,233,940 times
there are parts with no admissions fees, but you still have to work a ride to or from one end or the other and also have a place to park if needed

and to camp anywhere on there is a fee

so basically to do anything more than sit right at a public entrance and float around you will pay on the Guadalupe

if you want a nice free place you can go to the park above Prince Solms Park on the Comal and swim at a very nice public area there and even snorkel and scuba

you can also go through the tube shoot free in the Prince Solms Park dam, but the problem is you have to go a long ways to get out again and you have to walk an even longer route to get back to where you were because they charge for it in season and lock the sidewalks up off season

up until the late 80s the tube shoot through the dam was just wide open in the off season and me and friends would go there with wetsuits and ride for hours free

right before the last curve before it dumps in the river there is a rock with a hole in it (back before the rails were on the sides of the chute) and we would get a ski rope and tie off on that rock and then shorten it to right at the end of the chute and you could get out there and kneeboard as long as you wanted

we would play a game where the others would come down the chute and try and knock you off....in 1987 I believe it snowed really heavy and a week later it was warm outside (and the Comal is basically same temp all year) and we went up there and the water was so high it was only about 3 feet from the top of the chute

that was a wild day

man up and take the kid to the Comal above Prince Solms Park

Old 04-16-2010, 09:15 AM

56 posts, read 161,145 times
Last year, I took my two year old to Fiesta Texas's water park and he loved it. It was just enough waterpark for a child his age. It also helps that there are other rides for kids in the park too [he's a big fan of the Wiggles' rides].

However, I have to add, that after it was all said and done, it was awesome to have a beer garden to cool off.

We're buying season tickets this year, so we plan on doing it all over again.

ps

Old 04-16-2010, 10:27 AM

184 posts, read 462,025 times
I have taken my kids to Fiesta Waterpark and did not like it, it was dirty and i found it disgusting there. Seaworld has a cool water park for kids. But if you have to chose between SchlitterBahn or Splashtown i would say SchlitterBahn hands down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio