Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2010, 02:19 PM

166 posts, read 571,440 times

Advertisements

Has anyone tried these products? Do they work? Where can they be bought in town? Home Depot didn't have them. I tried using an epoxy putty and it didn't work.
I have a slight leak in my copper hot water pipe that's attached to my water heater. I'm trying to avoid cutting/soldering/torch a new copper fitting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2010, 04:24 PM

420 posts, read 1,155,670 times
You should be able to shut off the water, drain it out a bit, dry it, and solder for about the same cost. a cheap torch is about 5-8 bucks. Just dont set your house on fire. You shouldnt have to go and put in all new lines unless it is heavily damaged. I know lowes has what you are looking for. They are usually 2 part sticks that you mash together for a while but usually require everything be dry. your other bet mught be a marine supply store. They sell stuff for boats to seal leaks even when wet.

Old 04-16-2010, 10:07 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,726,695 times
I have tried everything the past and nothing worked permanently (short of soldering or replacing the pipe). The closest I found is I guess what you would call a pipe clamp. Lowe's and Home Depot sell one that looks very much like the picture in the link below, but it uses one screw instead of two and is made for standard household water lines (3/8" I believe). Like I said, it is not permanent. I got a year out of it (mine was on one of the lines to the tub faucet).

http://www.precisionmeters.co.za/images/clamp_1.jpg

Old 04-16-2010, 11:36 PM

5,615 posts, read 14,793,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadStreet/PattisonAve View Post
Has anyone tried these products?
I've seen others try.
Quote:
Do they work?
Not from what I've seen.
Quote:
Where can they be bought in town?
*shrugs*
Quote:
Home Depot didn't have them. I tried using an epoxy putty and it didn't work.
I have a slight leak in my copper hot water pipe that's attached to my water heater. I'm trying to avoid cutting/soldering/torch a new copper fitting.
Sorry - if you want to do it once you'll have to do it right. That means doing what you're trying to avoid.

Old 04-17-2010, 12:44 AM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Quote:
Has anyone tried these products? Do they work? Where can they be bought in town? Home Depot didn't have them. I tried using an epoxy putty and it didn't work.

I did it with an Aquarium Sealant 10+ years ago and no leak so far

Walmart, Pet Store cost ~$5

Old 07-24-2011, 04:08 PM

166 posts, read 571,440 times
Thanks for the responses. I ended up soldering. If you have a radiator leak, try this stuff. It has worked for me so far.

Bar's Leaks Liquid Aluminum Stop Leak

Old 07-24-2011, 04:50 PM

1,803 posts, read 2,624,035 times
Quote:
Thanks for the responses. I ended up soldering. If you have a radiator leak, try this stuff. It has worked for me so far.

Bar's Leaks Liquid Aluminum Stop Leak
while i have used bars as well, its only a temp solution, as in a temp solution to get you home. i DO NOT recommend driving on this stuff if you have a really noticeable leak. if its a drip-leak, yeah you could probably get away with it, but this is just a fancy band-aid.

dont be cheap. replace the failing part in your car, because it will eventually lead to a busted radiator or worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio