Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 12:20 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,987,315 times

Advertisements

I have to disagree with such an all-encompassing statement, I've had several of my vehicles inspected at MD Automotive and have never had that happen. The only reason I don't always take my vehicles there for inspections is that it is easier and quicker to go to one of the drive-up places; but if they are in for other maintenance and/or repairs and the inspection is coming up due, I have no problems in letting them take care of it for me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2010, 12:46 PM

76 posts, read 169,176 times
well maybe never was a bit much, but I do know the few times I stopped at the Firestone by the house they wouldn't pass my car without telling me I need new tires. I went to Discount Tires and they said the tread was fine. Another time they tried telling me my entire break system needed to be replaced and handed me a estimate over $1000. So you can see where I coming from.

Old 04-19-2010, 02:32 PM

Oh, I understand there are some less than scrupulous shops out there; but to make such a sweeping generalization is unfair to all those such as MD Automotive, Discount Tire and others that are honest with their customers.

I would recommend using those and steering clear of anyplace that misleads you, as it appears that Firestone dealership has done.

Old 04-19-2010, 05:53 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,366,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
I will however avoid Schertz at all costs. It's a major speed trap with ridiculously slow speed limit signage posted everywhere.
Well...someone has to keep up with Selma! I can imagine bets going on between those two little bergs! OK...not really, but maybe.

Old 04-22-2010, 02:08 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,999,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
Well...someone has to keep up with Selma! I can imagine bets going on between those two little bergs! OK...not really, but maybe.

I just had my day in municipal court today. It was very orderly with a 20-25 minute pre-lecture and then another30 minute rundown by the judege himself. I didn't feel so bad when I heard some of the other charges that I overheard, everyithing from possessing drug paraphernalia to running stop signs to something having to do with animals. My case was easily dismissed with a $20 fine. I was lucky that my last name ends in a "C". Otherwise, I would have had to wait a long time to be summoned by the judge to plead my case since they called us by alphabet order.

Old 03-06-2012, 01:23 PM

1 posts, read 2,318 times
SOS

Got ticket for expired inspection. It would be impossible to correct the violation as the car is now at the collision center for possible major repair/even total loss. Would the ticket be dismissed if I show proof that the car is in the collision center?

Old 03-06-2012, 01:53 PM

83 posts, read 156,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Recently, I was caught with an expired inspection sticker in Schertz. I know that it is a scam for these small towns to fleece ppl of their $$. when i went to set a court date, I was shocked to find out that the fine was $137!!!

The last time that I remember getting a citation for something like this, it was something like $10 once I submitted proof that I corrected the violation. Is it still this way or will I be gouged for this?

Yes, just go get an inspection and take the receipt to the Schertz office and they will charge whatever the admin fee is, $20 or so.
The same thing happened to me recently in Shavano Park (I know, I know) and it was no big deal. I didn't even pay attn to what the cost would have been

Old 03-06-2012, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprinklers View Post
SOS

Got ticket for expired inspection. It would be impossible to correct the violation as the car is now at the collision center for possible major repair/even total loss. Would the ticket be dismissed if I show proof that the car is in the collision center?
No, when you were cited the car was being operated on public roads with an expired inspection. Either pay the fine or go to court and see if you can get it reduced, but the fact that the vehicle was later totaled has no bearing on the violation...

By the way, it's amusing that people will forgo a $14.50 inspection that takes 10-15 minutes to risk a ticket that will cost at least $20 (if not considerably more) and a day's wages lost while you sit in court...

Old 03-07-2012, 06:12 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,876,366 times
I am wondering about a situation so here is the example. You have an inspection sticker that is labelled March 2012. If I can wait until 5 days after it expires, that is from April 1-5, would my new sticker be labelled April 2013 or will they give me a March 2013 regardless?

If it is an April 2013 sticker I would get then if I waited until May 2013 for the next inspection and then waited for June 2014 and did this for 10 years, would I get a free year?

Old 03-07-2012, 06:15 AM

2,295 posts, read 2,368,845 times
I have to agree. The best way to avoid the excessive fines for an expired inspection sticker is to spend the $14.50, and 10 minutes it takes to get it up to date. I have to wonder how many of the people that something simple like the inspection sticker lapse also forget more important things like insurance. I have had two separate cars hit by uninsured drivers in Texas. In both cases the cars were parked in parking lots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: