Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2010, 05:10 PM

1 posts, read 5,980 times

Advertisements

We currently live in Schertz-Cibolo-UC ISD and are very happy with the school district, but hubby is determined to move our boys onto some unrestricted property/ land. We were looking in New Braunfels and Seguin.
From friends and previous posting I have been told to avoid Seguin, that in New Braunfels, Comal ISD is preferred over New Braunfels ISD. Any specific pros and cons to Comal ISD? I like that it has a dual language program since 2 of our children are currently participating in the dual language program here in Schertz Cibolo ISD. Any other info is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2010, 10:32 AM

1 posts, read 5,891 times
With all due respect, the community of New Braunfels has a reputation for lack of tolerance and not fostering diversity. Dual and Spanish languages programs exists, though the prevailing idea that Spanish is a second class language persists even among middle class due to prejudice. Hence, the good, sophisticated native speaker teachers do not last in that territory and relocate to austin or san antonio at the end of the school year. I have lived in different countries and I teach Spanish and Portugese at college level. I Have several friends teaching foreign languages in the vicinity. I wanted my child to be bilingual culturally and linguistically. After listening to several educators get dissapointed and leave the comal and NB isd for greener pastures, I am considering relocating to Austin where my child develops not only Spanish language but a citizen of the world mentality about ethinc backgrounds and foreign languages. I consider Shertz -Cibolo superior to Comal or NB isd. Consider canyon isd. I am terribly afraid he may imitate and/ or absorb his peers attitude about being racist.

Old 05-01-2010, 10:48 PM

374 posts, read 978,577 times
My kids go to Comal Elementary and it is outstanding! The teachers are great and go out of their way to help all the kids learn. Next year, they will be at Garden Ridge Elementary which is still under construction but promises to be a great school as well. All the teachers are moving from Comal to Garden Ridge so it should prove to be painless for the kids. I will say that I have had no problems with the liberalization I hear about from so many other areas. My kids are not coming home with the green disease or homosexual garbage so many other parents are complaining about. This school has focused on the fundamentals as they should instead of indoctrination. I could not comment on NBISD or SCUCISD apart from what I see from the kids in that area. They are respectful and courteous which is more than I can say for other parts of San Antonio. If you want to move out farther, Harper is supposed to be one of the best school districts in Texas. It's about 45 minutes out of San Antonio off of I-10. I would love to move out there.

As for shulammite's comments: I don't understand why there would be a problem with English being put first since it is the primary language of the United States. Spanish is a secondary language at best and I like that my children are being taught to be Texas citizens first, American's second and that they have to tolerate the rest of the world to get things done.

Old 04-28-2011, 12:39 PM

4 posts, read 8,047 times
SCUCISD is a very good school district. All I can really say about the other districts you mentioned is that we do hear of many problem kids there. I'm sure it's because they are a bigger district.I love that SCUCISD is not to big but it's not relatively small which is good. The school district is why I choose Cibolo. We are good academically and in sports. Some school districts around us emphasize more on sports than academics. Love SCUCISD!! I have 2 elementary and 1 Intermidate and we follow Steele where ever they go. GO KNIGHTS!!!

Old 04-25-2013, 08:53 AM

1 posts, read 3,311 times
Default Steele/Dobie Schools

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali gurl 619 View Post
SCUCISD is a very good school district. All I can really say about the other districts you mentioned is that we do hear of many problem kids there. I'm sure it's because they are a bigger district.I love that SCUCISD is not to big but it's not relatively small which is good. The school district is why I choose Cibolo. We are good academically and in sports. Some school districts around us emphasize more on sports than academics. Love SCUCISD!! I have 2 elementary and 1 Intermidate and we follow Steele where ever they go. GO KNIGHTS!!!

We just signed a contract on a house in Heights of Cibolo to rent. We lived in SA before and were in the NEISD distrtict. I am hoping I did the right choice and choosing these schools in Cibolo. I have heard a mix, you have first hand knowledge can you give me anymore information about them.

Old 04-25-2013, 11:32 AM

1,647 posts, read 2,050,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michellestarr View Post
We just signed a contract on a house in Heights of Cibolo to rent. We lived in SA before and were in the NEISD distrtict. I am hoping I did the right choice and choosing these schools in Cibolo. I have heard a mix, you have first hand knowledge can you give me anymore information about them.
That person hasn't posted in 2 years...doubt she'll answer you now. You should make a separate thread asking any questions you may have.

Old 04-10-2014, 05:26 PM

1 posts, read 2,714 times
Default Bull

Ok I've been to a total of 12 schools all in shertz or Cibolo. 2 years ago my mom and dad moved us to seguin isd and let me just tell you, you can not believe everything thing that people tell you. I know because I use to think seguin was a gehtto little town filled with dumbass' people but it's not. I don't know why people think so poorly of Seguin ISD school district because its nothing like what you hear. It's a good school district and I'm very happy with it and so are my parents. And my grades have not been affected at all and I have been to every school in Cibolo, and it's the same way all A's and B's . There are people at seguin that are gehtto and there are people at Cibolo that are even more gehtto. There are gehtto people everywhere in this world you can't base one school district off of what everyone says. If someone asked me if they should raise a family in seguin I would tell them "absolutely seguin is an amazing little town, That is filled with very friendly people. That are very loving and it is absolutely a safe place, and there are a lot of new things being added to seguin, this town is getting more and more popular by the minute. I'm so amazed with how much this town has grown. The high school is going to be rebuilt there's already a new middle school and a new elementary school. Both the library and Park are going to be rebuilt. There are a lot of good things at seguin high school that your kids can't get at NB isd or Comal isd not even at UC-SCISD. Seguin isd can really benefit your children later on in life like you can get up to 60 hours of college credit, and graduate with an associates degree. The high school even offers a cosmetology program so when you graduate you'll have your cosmetology license. There's even a nursing program so you can graduate with your nursing license. They also give you the opportunity to even get a weldings license. It's amazing how much your children will be able to graduate with at seguin high school, there are multiple scholarships at Seguin high school that your child can earn. They even have FFA if your kids wanna show animals. I've never heard of a school that does so much and that gives you so many opportunities for after high school. Some kids they don't want to go to college but with seguin ISD they offer you so many more choices to where they can still have a good paying job after you graduate high school. In Seguin isd the possibilities are endless"

Old 04-11-2014, 12:19 PM

947 posts, read 1,243,786 times
Have lived here for 43 years. I also work for SCUC ISD. BUT not as a teacher. We at one time had auto body and cosmetology years ago.We do have FFA. We are offering for those in high school classes in graphic arts, computer game design and various other technological classes. We also have AP and I think Baccalaurete classes ,nursing and ROTC.They even for the technology classes at the high school purchased two 3D printers amongst other things.
Most people are pleased with our school district. We even have social workers to help kids and their families.We also have a school based clinic for kids run by Methodist hospital system.At high school,you can take,French,German and Spanish classes.
We do have kids who live in the country and ride the bus.There is land around here for sale one could purchase.
I can remember when Seguin was sort of a podunk town.Nothing like now.It's really grown.Probably because of all the growth over the years this way.My grandmother visited us back in the 1950s when we lived in San Antonio when my dad was stationed at KellyAFB.
We took her to Seguin to visit some friends who she knew when they lived in Milwaukee.
At that time they still had signs on the water fountains and rest rooms saying white men,colored men,white women,colored women.Grandma said she hadn't seen signs like that since Hot Springs back in the 1920s.
It will never be as sophisticated as Austin. But it is getting better and the people and city are working hard to make it even nicer.I love the old houses and like looking in the antique and other shops. There are places to take your kids like nice parks ,etc.Don't know anthing about the schools,but I know many districts are trying to offer classes to the kids to prepare them for all the technology and other things that keep coming our way .
New Braunfels is an old german town. It too has really grown alot also. Because of the german influence there were shooting clubs, various societies,etc.
I notice they have a japanese ,several chinese and even a sushi place or two. There is Schlitterbahn and tubing on the river plus other activities.Both towns have the Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts.
As far as the attitude about spanish goes, a lot of old timers even in San Antonio considered hispanics second class citizens just as they did blacks.Things are changing because you have people who are moving here from other parts of the country.Here's another attitude.
My parents never went to Wurstfest.One becuase they didn't care for drunken crowds. And two,because I guess my dad just wasn't that interested. He was german and from Milwaukee.Now you would think he'd want to associate with those folks,but no.

Daddy,whose father was Bavarian and mother was Prussian considered the folks around Schertz anyways, a bunch of plattsdeutch speaking Rhinelanders. Which the way it came out when he said it,sounded like an insult.
In any case you need to talk to the realators around here on the cost of land,about building restrictions,water,electricity etc. GVEC could help with info on hooking up a trailer or house on any property you buy,and so can the other utilies. If you are happy with the schools and community,then i wouldn't move just cause of a whim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio