Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 11:43 AM

778 posts, read 2,501,971 times

Advertisements

Thought I would post this question here regarding Floresville and the area along 775 northeast of 181. We are looking to buy in one of the small acreage sub-divisions (looking at a few houses in Estates of Eagle Creek) and also further east to LaVernia and that area.

We are not tied to moving to that particular area but would like to stay within a reasonable commute of the Lackland area. Can anyone give me a reason why Floresville would be better or worse than say the area south of Castroville or Lytle or one of the small towns south of town?

We aren't interested in a sub-division full of houses within spitting distance of one another but we would like the convenience of an HEB or a Valero within a ten minute drive.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2010, 02:18 PM

1,893 posts, read 5,584,355 times
What's all this talk of the great fertile land in and around Floresville and the 181 area. It's sand folks. It's great for getting stuck in when it's dry and it blows in the wind all summer. A vacuum cleaner salesman's dream. It's just the opposite of fertile. I'd move to Catroville if I were you.

Old 09-28-2010, 02:22 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,113,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappyBob View Post
What's all this talk of the great fertile land in and around Floresville and the 181 area. It's sand folks. It's great for getting stuck in when it's dry and it blows in the wind all summer. A vacuum cleaner salesman's dream. It's just the opposite of fertile. I'd move to Catroville if I were you.
My dad had some land in Mexico and it was sand, the kind that gets all dusty and all up in your sandals. Somehow, the locals, grew their own vegetables out of that with no fancy fertilizer or what not. I need to find out their secret, lol.

Old 09-28-2010, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet09 View Post
My dad had some land in Mexico and it was sand, the kind that gets all dusty and all up in your sandals. Somehow, the locals, grew their own vegetables out of that with no fancy fertilizer or what not. I need to find out their secret, lol.
Probably lots of animal manure and compost was their secret. I'm not saying you can't grow a garden there and some things like that sandy soil but most things don't like it without a lot of ammendments. For example: there is an old saying that you can't grow watermelons in Wilson county because the bottoms get all worn out from the vines dragging them all over the field.

Old 09-28-2010, 04:23 PM

778 posts, read 2,501,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappyBob View Post
For some reason, I am suddenly reminded of the late Sam Kinison. "This is sand. You know what it's gonna be 100 years from now?"

Old 09-28-2010, 05:23 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,386,886 times
Default Moving Silver Creek ?

What? No more 78250 Silver Creek ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverCreek78250 View Post
Thought I would post this question here regarding Floresville and the area along 775 northeast of 181. We are looking to buy in one of the small acreage sub-divisions (looking at a few houses in Estates of Eagle Creek) and also further east to LaVernia and that area.

We are not tied to moving to that particular area but would like to stay within a reasonable commute of the Lackland area. Can anyone give me a reason why Floresville would be better or worse than say the area south of Castroville or Lytle or one of the small towns south of town?

We aren't interested in a sub-division full of houses within spitting distance of one another but we would like the convenience of an HEB or a Valero within a ten minute drive.

Thoughts?

Old 09-29-2010, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverCreek78250 View Post
For some reason, I am suddenly reminded of the late Sam Kinison. "This is sand. You know what it's gonna be 100 years from now?"
In a hundred years it will probably all be glass.

Old 09-29-2010, 04:06 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,252,615 times
La Vernia will be the next town to boom. Hill Country real estate is starting to get a little pricey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio