Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 10:58 AM

6 posts, read 9,325 times

Advertisements

April 25, 2010

I searched forrent.com, Apartments.com, apartmentguide.com and apartmentratings.com before moving to San Antonio from Burbank, CA. I tried to do as much online research as was possible and finally settled on Leon Valley because it's it own little city within San Antonio with it's own Police & Fire Department much life the city that I was moving from. Sadly, Leon Valley is nothing like Burbank and Shadow Valley Apartments in Leon Valley were not what I was expecting so I had to start my search all over.

First of all San Antonio is build much like a “Pizza” with a smaller pizza (410 freeway) within a larger pizza (1604). After driving around the city and doing research online I decided on renting outside of 1604 because we found that the further out of the pizza you go the newer the area and the more affluent. Not to say that you don’t find affluent parts within the pizza but you get a bigger mix of people that I personally don’t want around my family. Not to say that you don’t find these people at Laurel Canyon Apartments but you won’t find as many (for the record, I’m of Mexican decent and this is not to be misconstrued as being racist. I simply don’t want my family living around any kind of trash regardless of the color.) I found that the northern part of the city bordering 1604 to be the nicest. Which finally brings me to Laurel Canyon Apartments.

My wife’s friends recommended Laurel Canyon Apartments after we moved to San Antonio and decided against Shadow Valley. Luckily, this place is beautiful. Desiree the Business Manager was in the office on the weekend we stopped by to tour the community and showed us several units. They were offering a promotional price of $810 for a 900 sq. ft. unit with crown molding, carpet, faux wood floors in the kitchen and bathrooms, washer & dryer connections, balcony with storage, dishwasher, range, and refrigerator, huge picture windows, central air, and mini blinds through out. The community offers a 24 hr gym, two swimming pools, an office with computers, printers, and free WIFI, plus plenty of parking, nice grounds with mature trees, a laundry room, volleyball court, and bbq’s.

Moving from Los Angeles if found the value (price) was amazing for what you get. The community and unit are comparable to one that would cost $2000+ in Burbank, Woodland Hills, or Studio City. As you can probably guess by now I’m very happy with my choice of area, community (apartment complex), and service that we’ve received from Desiree and her staff. I’ve put in several request for minor “touch ups” and every single one of my request was handled promptly (the very next day) and courteously. Desiree and her staff are true professionals and I hope to stay here for a couple of years or until the house market stabilizes.

I hope this helps those of you relocating from other cities. I know that many people are leaving cities like Los Angeles with huge unemployment numbers and out of control government debt which in turn provide it’s residents with higher taxes and less services. Luckily, Texas has NO income tax and lower sales taxes but they do have higher property taxes compared to California but that won’t affect those of us that are renting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2010, 02:45 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,935,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX HERE WE COME View Post
April 25, 2010

I searched forrent.com, Apartments.com, apartmentguide.com and apartmentratings.com before moving to San Antonio from Burbank, CA. I tried to do as much online research as was possible and finally settled on Leon Valley because it's it own little city within San Antonio with it's own Police & Fire Department much life the city that I was moving from. Sadly, Leon Valley is nothing like Burbank and Shadow Valley Apartments in Leon Valley were not what I was expecting so I had to start my search all over.

First of all San Antonio is build much like a “Pizza” with a smaller pizza (410 freeway) within a larger pizza (1604). After driving around the city and doing research online I decided on renting outside of 1604 because we found that the further out of the pizza you go the newer the area and the more affluent. Not to say that you don’t find affluent parts within the pizza but you get a bigger mix of people that I personally don’t want around my family. Not to say that you don’t find these people at Laurel Canyon Apartments but you won’t find as many (for the record, I’m of Mexican decent and this is not to be misconstrued as being racist. I simply don’t want my family living around any kind of trash regardless of the color.) I found that the northern part of the city bordering 1604 to be the nicest. Which finally brings me to Laurel Canyon Apartments.

My wife’s friends recommended Laurel Canyon Apartments after we moved to San Antonio and decided against Shadow Valley. Luckily, this place is beautiful. Desiree the Business Manager was in the office on the weekend we stopped by to tour the community and showed us several units. They were offering a promotional price of $810 for a 900 sq. ft. unit with crown molding, carpet, faux wood floors in the kitchen and bathrooms, washer & dryer connections, balcony with storage, dishwasher, range, and refrigerator, huge picture windows, central air, and mini blinds through out. The community offers a 24 hr gym, two swimming pools, an office with computers, printers, and free WIFI, plus plenty of parking, nice grounds with mature trees, a laundry room, volleyball court, and bbq’s.

Moving from Los Angeles if found the value (price) was amazing for what you get. The community and unit are comparable to one that would cost $2000+ in Burbank, Woodland Hills, or Studio City. As you can probably guess by now I’m very happy with my choice of area, community (apartment complex), and service that we’ve received from Desiree and her staff. I’ve put in several request for minor “touch ups” and every single one of my request was handled promptly (the very next day) and courteously. Desiree and her staff are true professionals and I hope to stay here for a couple of years or until the house market stabilizes.

I hope this helps those of you relocating from other cities. I know that many people are leaving cities like Los Angeles with huge unemployment numbers and out of control government debt which in turn provide it’s residents with higher taxes and less services. Luckily, Texas has NO income tax and lower sales taxes but they do have higher property taxes compared to California but that won’t affect those of us that are renting.
BEWARE! Leon Valley is a huge Speed Trap city, out to bilk you for every driving infraction that it can to build up the City's coffers.

Old 04-25-2010, 05:05 PM

218 posts, read 499,709 times
Funny I drive down Bandera daily (410 to 1604) and have never been stopped in 16 years. I'm not exactly light on the pedal.

Welcome to San Antonio.

Old 04-26-2010, 01:19 PM

199 posts, read 705,760 times
Loved your way of describing SA's shape as a pizza, seriously! I'm from the West Valley (grew up there), so welcome to SA. Funny how you wound up in Laurel Canyon. !!! There are tons of Valley-like names where I live, Encino Rio, Ventura Plaza, etc. It cracks me up. Hope SA is all that you hoped it would be. :-)

Old 04-26-2010, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abner463 View Post
Loved your way of describing SA's shape as a pizza, seriously! I'm from the West Valley (grew up there), so welcome to SA. Funny how you wound up in Laurel Canyon. !!! There are tons of Valley-like names where I live, Encino Rio, Ventura Plaza, etc. It cracks me up. Hope SA is all that you hoped it would be. :-)
LOL, I thought that it was funny too. In fact, there are a slew of streets in 78201 (off "the 10") that have names like "El Monte", "San Francisco", "Catalina". I lived in West Hlwd for 8 years, Socal for 15. If there is anything that you need to know about this place, DM me and let me know.

Old 04-26-2010, 06:14 PM

27 posts, read 66,949 times
Welcome, since your of hispanic decent you`ll be fine here in little mexico or san antonio..... I`m not... as i`m from the northeast where WE are hired for what we KNOW not what we look like or speak.... Yes, were in our 40`s with a child and wish we never made the move..... I will say most people are friendly and the eats are great though..... But the job scene for us white`s are somewhat to be desired..... Then again the pay is lower down in the south, so you pretty much get what you get here..... If your military.. your set, as the government likes to spend money and there housing allowance is off the charts...Nothing like renting a 4 or 5 bedroom house and only have to pay the differance which in most cases would be 300-400 a month.. And second,flash your military id around to get a discount on a bunch more stuff.... Sheesh... I was in the navy for a few years back in the 80`s when it was the real service... When you could get beat up and called names and such..... Now its all the attitude and to be big with the uniform on..... I think the only people who will understand me are the older ones that been through it also..... So when I see all the new cars and such, I know where it all came from.. uncle military!!! Enough said.... I`m going back east may 1st and i`m so happy... Best of luck...

Old 04-26-2010, 07:50 PM

10 posts, read 17,573 times
wow, Kim...a little rough. I guess everyone has a different experience.

As for the OP- I, too, grew up in the Valley- Northridge. Left the year before the last big earthquake hit...1993 I think it was...not good with dates. Anyway- will be moving to San Antonio in a few months with the hubby. We'll probably rent for 6 months to a year so I am so happy you posted your review. I've put "Laurel Canyon" on my list of places to look at. Thank you!!!

Old 04-26-2010, 07:52 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,395,672 times
Oh those people inside loop 1604! Ooooh the horror!! The evil! Help, those people in 1604 are sccaaaaary

Old 04-26-2010, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kim1836 View Post
Welcome, since your of hispanic decent you`ll be fine here in little mexico or san antonio..... I`m not... as i`m from the northeast where WE are hired for what we KNOW not what we look like or speak.... Yes, were in our 40`s with a child and wish we never made the move..... I will say most people are friendly and the eats are great though..... But the job scene for us white`s are somewhat to be desired..... Then again the pay is lower down in the south, so you pretty much get what you get here..... If your military.. your set, as the government likes to spend money and there housing allowance is off the charts...Nothing like renting a 4 or 5 bedroom house and only have to pay the differance which in most cases would be 300-400 a month.. And second,flash your military id around to get a discount on a bunch more stuff.... Sheesh... I was in the navy for a few years back in the 80`s when it was the real service... When you could get beat up and called names and such..... Now its all the attitude and to be big with the uniform on..... I think the only people who will understand me are the older ones that been through it also..... So when I see all the new cars and such, I know where it all came from.. uncle military!!! Enough said.... I`m going back east may 1st and i`m so happy... Best of luck...
Wow, do you Really feel that white ppl are at a disadvantage here? As a mex-american, I've felt that things are a little more equal, but not necessarily better in the job market.

Old 04-26-2010, 08:15 PM

7,105 posts, read 11,757,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
BEWARE! Leon Valley is a huge Speed Trap city, out to bilk you for every driving infraction that it can to build up the City's coffers.
Really? My father was one of the founders of the city, and I grew up there. They don't like their laws being broken, and will cite you for doing so - what's the issue?

My son is a police officer there - and I can tell you that he often issues warnings, preferring that to citing someone, because he (and his fellow officers) know it's not easy to pay the fines. However, he DOES draw the line when someone's going 15+ mph over the speed limit....or is that being too strict?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio