Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 05:26 PM

3,111 posts, read 9,204,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaGrace View Post
I haven't read this thread - I stopped right here at the first post.

Discipline begins AT HOME. If YOU can't control your kids, if they act like little beasts and YOU LET THEM, they're going to be horrid in school.

Teach your children to obey rules and to listen to the teacher and to behave themselves and to keep their hands to themselves, and you won't have to advocate for corporal punishment in schools.

I'm SICK of everyone blaming teachers and the school system for how "awful" and "out of control" kids are. Parents need to take responsibility.
I totally agree with this. I'd rep you if I could.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2010, 05:42 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,978,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXtrkgrl View Post
I totally agree with this. I'd rep you if I could.
TTG

No worries, I rep'd her for both of us!

And this thread is ridiculous...

Cheers! M2

Old 04-26-2010, 06:26 PM

2,260 posts, read 5,614,136 times
Thanks, you guys. My mom taught high school for nearly 30 years and my best friend has been teaching since 1987, God bless her.

Old 04-26-2010, 06:34 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,408,227 times
Quote:

Discipline begins AT HOME. If YOU can't control your kids, if they act like little beasts and YOU LET THEM, they're going to be horrid in school.

Teach your children to obey rules and to listen to the teacher and to behave themselves and to keep their hands to themselves, and you won't have to advocate for corporal punishment in schools.

I'm SICK of everyone blaming teachers and the school system for how "awful" and "out of control" kids are. Parents need to take responsibility.

Absolutely true,

The problem is the parents who abdicate their role in discipline and their resultant out of control spawn disrupt the classroom and make the "in control" kids unable to learn.

Old 04-26-2010, 07:18 PM

705 posts, read 1,758,730 times
Disciplinary AEP is always an option; this is not for adjudicated kids only, chronic misbehavior can be sent there too.

Old 04-26-2010, 07:23 PM

905 posts, read 2,958,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by secgal1 View Post
Well I don't see forcing Little Johnny or Sarah to run around the track or doing push ups being an option in real life...they will simply refuse to do them or mommy/daddy will have a cow that you are abusng their poor darling somehow. Remember these are not kids that respect authority. That is the problem. They WILL NOT do what the teacher says, don't care what the administrators say (if they say anything at all before sending them back to class), and know that there is really no recourse for the teachers or even administrators.
LOL - I understand. So if someone tried to administer corporal punishment on these kids, what would they do? Fight back? Refuse to 'assume the position' or what ever? Bring a weapon to school and exact revenge?

Quote:
I could buy into the seminars for teachers on classroom managment. However nowadays that would likely mean teaching the teachers to "listen to the poor misguided children about what is the root of their current emotional issue causing them to act out in socially unacceptable ways". Oh and the teacher has to do this somehow while teaching and watching the other 25+ kids in the class so they can continue to reach the educational goals we expect. Granted some teachers could be better managers of their classrooms no doubt, but this is NOT the problem. It is lack of discipline in the children, they are not required by their parents or the district to stop this behavior.
So just how are you proposing to fix this problem? At least the seminar would give the teacher more tools or ideas.

Quote:
Just think if you told your child to do or to stop doing something. They refuse. You tell them again. Again they refuse or better yet, perhaps they yell at you or cuss at you. What will you do? What recourse do you have that would cause the child to change their behavior and accept your will? Now put a teacher in your place. What will you allow a teacher to do in those circumstances? Probably much less. Now imagine the kid KNOWS the teacher can do absolutely NOTHING to make them obey. Will they? They will have to chose to do so. There is nothing the teacher can do to them or take away from them that they will care about so what is the disciplinary tool they can use?
Isn't there a TV commercial using this very same scenario?

Quote:
If you send the kid to the office nothing happens. I think that is what people just don't believe. Somehow we think these kids CARE that they are being sent out of the class. They don't! Its a game to them and they laugh the whole way there and back. Literally laugh. Please don't think I am joking.
No, you are not joking. This is exactly what I have heard my kids say happens when kids are sent to the office. Anyone that has school aged kids, especially in middle or high school, can ask them if things like this happen in their classes. I'm sure they all will have similar stories. Even in private schools, these things happen. The problem started at home.

Change the rules for alternative school options to include disciplinary issues that are non criminal related and send the kids there. They can be dropped off at their home HS and bused to the alternative school. Get them out of the classroom so the teachers can teach. Give the home school the state money for having the kid at least in the alternative school so there's no money issues. Or put them in ISS.

Honestly, I don't know what you can actually do to force a kid to do something if they are that hostile. Like so many have said, discipline starts at home. If they have grown up not respecting authority, and the legal system for the school can't deal with it, I'm afraid that these hooligans will find their match in the real world when they turn 18 and can no longer hide under the guise of being able to get away with things just because they are labeled a 'juvenile'.

Old 04-26-2010, 07:26 PM

905 posts, read 2,958,200 times
Quote:

Linda, I think the problem the OP was describing is what to do when the parents HAVE NOT instilled discipline at home and that the teachers and administrators don't have the tools necessary to deal with the unruly kids.

Old 04-26-2010, 08:40 PM

88 posts, read 169,034 times
When I was growing up my mother would tell me to behave when I was at the neighbors house, because she had permission to spank me and if my neighbor had to spank me, my mother would spank me again when I got home. No questions asked. It was never an issue...but always in the back of my mind.

I also remember asking my mother to write a note to the school for my file forbidding them from spanking me. She said "If you do what you are suppose to do, then there would be no reason for the note, right"?

I don't believe in beating a child black and blue, but I do believe in discipline. Spanking is a form of discipline that sure got my attention.

Old 04-26-2010, 11:13 PM

186 posts, read 345,248 times
What was that saying Hillary Clinton spouted during her husband's first term..."It takes a village to raise a child?" She forgot to add that it also takes two concerned parents and an effective education system. I know that many of us who were products of public education in the 50's and 60's and possibly early 70's received the better education as compared to today. Family, personal and societal values were much different then. Admittedly I got into my share of trouble in school..we didn't carry knives and had never heard 9mm's, 45's and the like. I was a rumble fish and we settled our differences after school off & school grounds...and once we gave a pounding or received one...it was over and we resumed school life. Man have times changed. In my opinion I received the best elementary, middle and high school education that any one could hope for through DODSS (Dept of Defense School System). My dad even sent me to a military academy for three years during my formative years. Yes I was rebellious at first but I grew love it...structure, education, discipline, self-worth and pride. Public schools today in my opinion fall way short of the standards set by their early predecessors.

Now flash forward 40 years...take a hard look at society and what it has bred in the way of rebellious youth and tell me you would advocate corporal punishment in this day and age. Trying to take a paddle to one of these misguided misfits today could be tantamount to suicide. My point is there's nothing you can do to any of these kids that's going to get their attention...you can't force them to succeed...they have to want to succeed...they have to want it. Lets face it...our public school systems aren't equipped to handle students of today...there's a disconnect when it comes to effective teaching and training young minds to want to learn. Quite frankly our scholastic ratings in for elementary, middle, and high school suck when compared to the international community. As a country/society we tolerate failure and in many instances pass a student on to the next grade despite their poor performance. I find it amusing that we have compulsory school attendance in many states requiring students to "attend" school up to a certain age...yet we don't hold the educators accountable for their failure to adequately educate our children. If you think schools are doing their jobs...try watching Battle of the Jaywalk Allstars on the Leno Show...it's truly embarrassing to hear the answers of some of these people.

If you really think I'm off base...look at how many high school grads are having to take remedial english, math, reading and writing basics at the community college level before they are allowed to enroll in college courses. As a college educator I was usually always frustrated by the fact that many students wanting to take classes I taught couldn't because they didn't have basic high school core competencies needed to be successful at the community college level. I found this to be very disheartening. Students today aren't guided toward the math and sciences like in the past...and as a nation we are going to pay a price for this ambivilance toward their education. Discussions in Washington D.C. regarding the education of this nation's youth now include the national security threat that our pitiful education system poses to our country. At one meeting I attended one government consultant commented regarding our education system that as a nation we were turning out fat poorly educated kids.

At any rate...you can't beat on someone and expect them to learn...unless they are in the military.

Old 04-27-2010, 01:34 PM

3 posts, read 5,850 times
Corpral punishment needs to be put back into the schools.....that is what is wrong with these kids now a days.....no respect
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio