Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 05:25 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,857,522 times

Advertisements

I would be interested in hearing more about this from people who know about it, or have read about it. Where exactly in Olmos Basin was this supposed to have taken place?

I bought Streiber's book when it came out and was fascinated by it. But I stopped reading it for some reason and have misplaced it. I'm trying to find it again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2007, 08:36 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,363,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I would be interested in hearing more about this from people who know about it, or have read about it. Where exactly in Olmos Basin was this supposed to have taken place?

I bought Streiber's book when it came out and was fascinated by it. But I stopped reading it for some reason and have misplaced it. I'm trying to find it again.
Hi Ozzy.....I don't read every thread, so I'm not sure to what you're referring. Was this "school" discussed in a topic on SA City Data? Can you direct me to a bit more info? I'm a sucker for SA and Local history!

Old 06-12-2007, 10:31 PM

546 posts, read 3,104,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
Hi Ozzy.....I don't read every thread, so I'm not sure to what you're referring. Was this "school" discussed in a topic on SA City Data? Can you direct me to a bit more info? I'm a sucker for SA and Local history!
You know, I was mentioning this very subject to someone just the other day -the "secret school" is evidentally a school (of sorts) run by little space aliens living in Olmos Park somewhere, they abducted best selling author Whitley Streiber as a child (or so he claims - I believe he still lives in San Antonio.). I'm not making this up - I swear!

I'd love to find this supposed spot, although I'm sure the aliens have moved to another area of town by now due to those ever-increasing property values

BTW, they made a film based on his very popular-at-the-time alien abduction book (in '89), with Cristopher Walken playing Strieber, called "Communion." It was VERY hokey (you can actually see the strings on the puppet aliens!).

So, anyone out there know where this school is?

Old 06-13-2007, 04:41 AM

173 posts, read 617,291 times
I looked up this book on Amazon; plenty of copies if you can't find your lost book Ozzy.

The review I read there was interesting but made it seem like this is not one of his better books. I wonder what the Olmos Basin was like back in the 50's when he claims to have had the Alien-related experiences.

Old 06-13-2007, 05:10 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,857,522 times
This topic was mentioned a few times here (not sure of the thread) but not really discussed in depth.

The reason I got curious again in the past few days is because, first of all I'm not real familiar with the boundaries of the Olmos Basin. When I started to read the book I was picturing the little park area, and the area around the east side of 281. But looking at a map it appears that most of the Basin may be on the west side of 281.

The funny thing is, when I was younger I thought that area looked like the kind of place that aliens might land and stuff. Weird. Maybe Streiber just has the same kind of imagination as me.

Old 06-13-2007, 08:02 AM

Here's a link to an excerpt:

File: /files/New-Files/970803/secret-school.txt

Conroy is more specific about the location that Streiber visited. It sounds closer to the San Antonio River headwaters on the University of Incarnate Word Campus. He mentions the "Blue Hole" which is the beginning of the SA River. The Olmos Creek feeds into the SA River in that area. I posted a picture of the "Blue Hole" on a thread a few months back.

Even though he says the Olmos Basin, he is more specifically talking about an area below the Olmos Dam.

What year is Streiber claiming this happened? Before 281 was constructed?

Old 06-13-2007, 10:28 AM

Nothing like replying to my own post!

I just looked up Whitley Strieber in the public records. Ironically he was born on June 13, 1945! Today is his BIRTHDAY!

BTW - his parents were Karl Strieber and and Kathleen Mary Drought. Kathleen was the daughter of Henry P. and Kathleen L. Drought. The Drought family was very prominent in the 1930's and lived off N. New Braunfels in Terrell Hills.

The interesting part of his family is that Whitley Strieber's great grandfather was Charles Lukin who was the President of the Lukin Military Academy. It was located on the corner of Broadway and Kennedy. The academy or "school" has long since been torn down. It just happens to be within walking distance to the University of Incarnate Word and the "blue hole". Makes me wonder if his memory is playing off a bit of lost SA history and his family heritage.

I didn't have any luck locating the Streiber family in 1930 to see where they were living. Karl Strieber served in WWII and his civil occupation was listed as a barber or lawyer?

Old 06-13-2007, 10:34 AM

159 posts, read 784,822 times
Hey, I was the one that brought this up in GBNF, Ozzy made a brief comment but I wanted to leave it at that because I didnt want to turn the GBNF post into a UFO post. The reason I was asking was because the post had sooo many people with great memories of SA, and I was wondering if anyone ever heard the story or know anyone whom this may have happen to. I read Whits first book in 92 I was surprised to find out he was from SA. Since then I have read all his books on his experiences Communion, Breakthrough, Transfermation,Confermation, The Communion Letters, and The Screct School. What was crazy to me was when he wrote Communion he wrote it on what he thought was his first experience in his cabin in upsate NY in 1985, it wasn't untill later throught meditaion that he realized he has been in contact with these being his whole life. A lot of memories of the schoole came back to him from writing his first two books. After writing the book he then went back to see if he could locate the place with no luck. He then went back later with a camera crew (1996) who was shooting a low budget documentary, and they found it. In the book he mentions its near a huge old African tree (kind of) that is not common in the Basin. Yes, wCat the "Blue Hole" would be the first place to start. I remember when you posted those pics, I wanted to bring the subject up, but I thought nobody would be interested because I had already asked before. From what Whit said when he went back that the tree is still there, and the benches where the childeren all sat are still there too. How did those benches get out into the middle on the Basin?? What was the dead give away to Whit which is mentioned in the book and is also how he re-found it, there is a line in the ground. Im not sure if it is dug, burnt, or just a cleared out bit of land, but as you walk a long a trail it is there. A perfect line off to the side of a train will take you straight to the huge old tree. The srtaight perfect line is still there to this day and that how he re-found it. In the book a number of kids were taken there some of them were from his homeroom class and other he didnt know. In the book he was never abducted he would sneak out the house to meet them in the woods, in the 50's I guess a 5th grader could ride his bike down Broadway at 3am, but not today. He recieved a letter from a man whom was part of the school, but all he really could recall was not waking up but already riding his bike home from the school. This guy didnt even live close to the school he lived on the south side, he would remember riding his bike down Zarzamora woundering what in the hell was going on. I do think the place is still there but it will be hard to find, I have tried twice. Once with a friend and the other time by myself and I totally freked myself out in those woods alone like a damn fool. I want to go again but not alone, if sombody does find it keep it to yourself please dont trash the place........it may still be a school for a select group of San Antonio kids. If anybody has any other information on this please let me know.

Old 06-13-2007, 10:37 AM

159 posts, read 784,822 times
wCat

Whits dad was a lawyer. When he was growing up they lived off Braodway near the University, thats how it was so easy for him to get to the basin.

Happy B-Day Whit !!!!!

Last edited by spaceage007; 06-13-2007 at 10:45 AM..

Old 06-13-2007, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceage007 View Post
wCat

Whits dad was a lawyer. When he was growing up they lived off Braodway near the University, thats how it was so easy for him to get to the basin.

Happy B-Day Whit !!!!!
Thanks for that Spaceage! Have you tried looking at an ariel view? I've been to the "blue hole" a number of times, but I can't think of where you would go from there. Across the "river", just yards from the "blue hole", UICW has added a huge sports complex. A lot has been built since 1996 when Whitley located the spot. Some of that area falls in the Episcopal Diocese property, and some is part of 200 Patterson Place Condominiums which is private property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio