Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 01:00 PM

410 posts, read 919,133 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
I have a friend in the Air Force (stationed out of state) who will be returning to SA after they retire. To tell you the truth, I don't know what their job description entails specifically but I know it's related to computers/security. I've been wanting to talk to them about NSA but want to make sure I'm informed when I bring it up. I noticed some folks have spoken briefly on NSA and other agencies and I can tell they are knowledeable on topic of opportunities for ex-military. What exactly will NSA (San Antonio) house as far as types of services? job descriptions? When are they set to open? Are they hiring yet? Do applicants have a better chance if they are ex-military? etc...I guess you could say I'm trying to find out the who, what, where, when, and how...lol

I would appreciate any information y'all can provide. Y'all have always been helpful in the past.

Thanks again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2010, 01:11 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,882,779 times
You're not going to get a lot of information on the mission of NSA Texas over the Internet, it is protected for the obvious reasons. You can, however, get as much as you can from the following NSA websites:

Welcome to the National Security Agency - NSA/CSS

Career Opportunities at the National Security Agency (NSA)

Prior service military always helps, but isn't a requirement.

I can tell you that it definitely helps to have a current security clearance; but I will also share that there have been a lot of people that have the appropriate clearances applying for jobs at the new facility (myself included).

There are numerous other activites in the San Antonio area that he/she might be qualfied for, either as a government employee or a contractor like myself. There's been a few threads on this already, have your friend search this forum then post up any questions she or he might have, and we'll do our best to answer them!

Cheers! M2

Old 05-05-2010, 02:08 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,273,889 times
If you already have a security clearance it will help with employment. I know a few people that work at NSA Texas and they are not allowed to talk about what they do. Obviously, they deal with national security and aren't going to give out specifics. I think even the cleaning ladies need security clearances...lol

Old 05-05-2010, 02:34 PM

872 posts, read 1,847,148 times
As related to new hires, I think the entire discussion related to the local facility is way overblown. Seems to be more of a local move than anything else.

Old 05-05-2010, 03:38 PM

Not really, there will be new hires once the new facility opens; but other than going to NSA's web site, you're not going to find a lot of information on what kind of jobs they are hiring for...

Of course, if someone has a clearance and access to classified networks, there is more information out there...but that's about all we can say about that!

Cheers! M2

Old 06-25-2010, 07:15 AM

5 posts, read 15,929 times
I spoke to a recruiter for NSA at a job fair in San Antonio. The woman stated one needs to get hired at their main facility in Fort Meade, MD before they can transfer to San Antonio. I don't know if this is true or not. Like majormadmax said, there are numerous other opportunities in San Antonio for the type of work this person does. I would suggest going to job fairs held in San Antonio. He can actually check the ACAP website for this even though he is Air Force. Go to ACAP, click on Active Component Soldiers, and Job Fairs will be on the left menu.

Old 06-25-2010, 10:27 AM

I don't think that is correct, you may have misunderstood her. The hiring process may occur up at Ft Meade; but you don't have to get hired there before working at their SA location.

I've talked to a few NSA recruiters and with several people who are already working at the current facility here in SA, as well as numerous individuals I work with who hope to work there when it opens; and none have mentioned that. I just doesn't make sense to do things that way, it's a waste of money.

But I can tell you that there has been a huge number of applicants already, and you have to remember that a lot of people who will work at the new facility will come from the old one. Operations will be expanding and more people being hired on, but the number of positions there does not equate to an equal number of new jobs...

Oh, and you get get email notifications from NSA on the job fairs they will be at. The instructions on how to do so is on their web site...

Old 06-25-2010, 01:01 PM

872 posts, read 1,847,148 times
Look elsewhere...there will not be many hires with this LOCAL MOVE.

Old 06-30-2010, 01:09 PM

5 posts, read 15,929 times
Default Re: NSA

It was pretty much what she said because she stated people would have to work in Fort Meade for a while before transferring to San Antonio. Granted, what she said didn't make any sense to me because as you said it would be a waste of time. It was at a job fair in San Antonio, the NSA folks may have been from the Fort Meade location, and maybe that is what she thought. She's just one person, and I figured other opinions were necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
I don't think that is correct, you may have misunderstood her. The hiring process may occur up at Ft Meade; but you don't have to get hired there before working at their SA location.

I've talked to a few NSA recruiters and with several people who are already working at the current facility here in SA, as well as numerous individuals I work with who hope to work there when it opens; and none have mentioned that. I just doesn't make sense to do things that way, it's a waste of money.

But I can tell you that there has been a huge number of applicants already, and you have to remember that a lot of people who will work at the new facility will come from the old one. Operations will be expanding and more people being hired on, but the number of positions there does not equate to an equal number of new jobs...

Oh, and you get get email notifications from NSA on the job fairs they will be at. The instructions on how to do so is on their web site...

Old 06-30-2010, 04:38 PM

I don't know where she got her info but it's not correct.

There will be jobs filled locally, but it won't be as many as people believe; many of the billets are already filled, and what's left will have a huge number of already-cleared individuals applying for them.

That said, go ahead and apply! Just don't get your hopes up too high!

Cheers! M2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio