Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 06:42 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,366,291 times

Advertisements

I've found myself in a very difficult position of having to find a home for my kitty. I've moved and cannot keep her here. Has anyone had to do this, and where did you go to find a good home? I can't bare the thought of taking her to that Animal Defense League, even though it's a no kill shelter. She's a very sweet kitty but shy around strangers. I think that experience would completely traumatize her. Any suggestions would be greatly welcomed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2007, 06:44 PM

427 posts, read 1,174,310 times
Sorry you're in a position where you have to give up your pet.

Sometimes the vets offices will post pictures and help you adopt your cat to someone. Also maybe try some local radio stations or newspapers.

I hope you have luck finding a good home for him/her. Good luck!

Old 06-13-2007, 09:46 PM

1,805 posts, read 4,775,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
I've found myself in a very difficult position of having to find a home for my kitty. I've moved and cannot keep her here. Has anyone had to do this, and where did you go to find a good home? I can't bare the thought of taking her to that Animal Defense League, even though it's a no kill shelter. She's a very sweet kitty but shy around strangers. I think that experience would completely traumatize her. Any suggestions would be greatly welcomed.
got to Petfinder.com: Adopt a pet and help an animal shelter rescue a puppy or kitten.. There, you SHOULD be able to find links for the 'reverse' process; that is that you have a pet for which you want to find a good home.

I do know that there are many many situations where they go to a 'foster home' and sometimes for quite a very long time, waiting for their 'forver home'.

I'm sorry I don't know exactly how it all works or specifically who to contact locally, but I'm fairly certain you can get the info on the website I mentioned.

Good luck, I adore cats (well, and dogs too), but I'm not in a position to take one.....

Old 06-14-2007, 02:03 AM

546 posts, read 3,104,705 times
Worth a shot, but I would post flyers at a couple of shops at Sunset Ridge - the Hollywood Video has a board for pets needing adoption, and most stores where LOTS of families go through daily will let ya put up a flyer in the window (Pet Works, Double Daves, Mail Center, Baskin Robbins, etc.). If the kids at Baskin say they can't post anything though, just say "Eric said I could," and they'll back down (they're kinda bratty at times - teenagers, you know.). Also, Thundercloud Subs by the Oak Park HEB has a post board and they do a huge lunch crowd, as do most all Starbucks. You never can tell.

I really wish I could help you out, but our cat doesn't get along with other cats - she thinks she's human. I do feed practically every cat in Bel Meade though, it's a never-ending calvacade of hungry kitties all night long, I must spend 50 bucks a week on dry food for these ravenous little beasts!

Old 06-14-2007, 05:54 PM

Thanks all! Pops...I posted on petfinder.....thank you for that link. Goog....I will see how well I do in getting some decent flyers put together and try what you suggest. I might even get a triple when I go by BR!

Old 06-15-2007, 04:32 AM

370 posts, read 882,642 times
Quote:
I encourage you to find a no euthenasia "rescue group". My three lovelies all came from rescue and I want you to rest assured that things "CAN" turn out great.

When I adopted my Lexi her former owner was very concerned, yet things turned out lovely and Lexi is having a new second life...my Iggy was traumatized by his limbo period after his first and 10 year long owner died and Iggy went into a near year long foster trauma, yet, within hours of being here with me and Lexi he "adopted us" and things are great.

Betty White has a book out where she adopts the former working seeing eye dog and the book starts with the dogs first life as a seeing eye dog and with the relationship with his first human and the second half of the book goes into detail of the dog's retired life with Betty and her crew of pets.

This did change my mind about if I EVER have to give a pet over for rescue or adoption, it IS an option. I think as long as they do not go into a shelter it is even better.

Rescue agencies usually have people who are regular fosters for cats and dogs or other animals, this way the pet goes into a home while waiting for a new forever home.

Good luck,
Gen
p.s. when I get the chance I hope to become a pet foster for others, but that is years away as I currently need a "temp" foster while I go to military training for three months!!

Old 06-15-2007, 09:20 AM

OH Gen....that sounds perfect. How do I find a foster home?

I've been to the Animal Defense Shelter and while they take excellent care of their "lodgers", my kitty would not do well there. She is very shy. She is the most loving kitty, but shys away from strangers and other animals. The day we moved, she was so traumatized that she got lost in my townhouse. I thought she got out and was lost, but I got a call a week later and they found her in a nook up under and behind the kitchen sink!!! I was stunned she was ok and cried for a day to have her back! Now I have to part with her again. I would LOVE to find a foster family for her.....

BTW - we've always taken in more than our share of strays......she's one of the gems!

Old 06-16-2007, 04:41 AM

370 posts, read 882,642 times
Quote:
OH Gen....that sounds perfect. How do I find a foster home?

BTW - we've always taken in more than our share of strays......she's one of the gems!
I'm in Chicago and don't know local groups but, recommend searching for anything cat rescue and San Antonio or local and asking them for suggestions.

Here we have P.A.W.S. (pets are worth saving) and my one cat was a temp foster from there who I fell in love with, as did my other cat too, and my other two cats are from a purebred rescue. I have a soft spot in my heart for adult or older cats in need of rescue.

Gen

Old 06-17-2007, 02:29 PM

Default This is weird!

Can someone give me a clue here? I am very confused and a bit disturbed by this situation. I posted an ad on petfinder.com, which is a little confusing when your are putting a pet up for adoption. Their website doesn't sort by location, so you're putting your pet out across the country!

So far I have received two responses....one from a man in Dallas, and another in TN????? BOTH inquires have only referred to my cat as a "pet"....and were almost begging to "adopt" her. Both also used very poor English and grammar and sounded as if it were a foreign translation. The man in TN wanted to PAY for shipping my "pet" to him and his daughter. Petfinders requires you to ask for an adoption fee to discourage "something"....so I just asked for $25.....which I don't care about other than finding my kitty a good home.

I'm not naive, but can someone tell me why a person in TN cannot find a homeless cat and would be willing to pay to have my "pet" shipped to them from San Antonio, TEXAS?
They even provided me with the name of the shipping company. I totally smell a scam of some kind, but I can't put my finger on it. These two people have not even seen a picture of my kitty, and don't have much info on her because of the limitations of petfinders.com ads.

This just sounds very ominous to me. I'm contacting petfinders and ask them about this.

Old 06-17-2007, 03:36 PM

469 posts, read 2,342,269 times
Oh no, stay away from those people! Unfortunately in the world of pets there are some scary scams going on. I'm betting you've 2 of those strangeoids contacting you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio