Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 01:44 PM

427 posts, read 1,174,427 times

Advertisements

Personal trainers are great, if you feel like you are willing to pay the price for one then great. If not, every gym has professionals who can set up a program for you and start you on your way. Most have free orientations for those who are new to the gym. Also you can hire a trainer for a short period of time to do the same. Help get you started, set up a program and get you on your way.

$1,200 per month isn't a number I've heard before unless you're using a trainer 5 days a week, which is rare. The hourly rate is normally between $50-$75 per session and you usually get a discount when ordering a number of sessions at a time.

Summer is just around the corner, good luck everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2010, 01:45 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,122,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitmommy View Post
There is a trainer I know(at my gym) who if you get 3 1hour sessions a week it is around $1200 a month.

But never let the trainer talk you into 3, 1 hour sessions a week if you can't/don't want to afford it.

getting a trainer for just 3 sessions, to show you what to do. Or having one 1-3 times a week. There are 30 min, 45 min and 60 min sessions. Anything is possible.

IDK if I can run down prices on this board, but they can range from $40-$170 a session. depending on time of session etc...

And No, not everyone needs or wants a personal trainer, I was just giving my point of view. Since this thread is on "fun" or high end gyms, which generally cost more and offer personal training.
Lots of good info.; thanks!

Old 05-13-2010, 01:46 PM

245 posts, read 696,275 times
I know there are only 2 of them here in San Antonio on the North side, but we've been going to LifeTime Fitness at the RIM for over 2 years and have loved it. Very clean gym, great amenities. We got a good price lock though because we got the membership when they first opened, and no contract. I credit changing my diet and working out for losing 25 lbs since January!

Before Lifetime we went to Gold's at 1604 and Bandera. I liked that one as well, but we were impressed with the kids' area at Lifetime, that was worth the extra money for us.

And yes, San Antonio is not the greatest city when it comes to finding places to work out. I was just up in Austin two weeks ago (where we lived for 3 years) and it was great to run around Town Lake on a dirt-packed trail with hundreds of other runners and water/Gatorade stations throughout the trail. When I try going for a run here in San Antonio, it's always concrete trails and I'm usually the only one out there. Yikes! But there are some nice views, just hate running on concrete. San Antonio needs to get in shape!!

Old 05-13-2010, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasero View Post
I credit changing my diet and working out for losing 25 lbs since January! !
Congrats on the weight loss!
I did about 10 lbs myself and keeping it off is the hardest part of all!
I love the Exercise and fitness forum on city data; always great info!

Old 05-13-2010, 01:57 PM

14 posts, read 30,137 times
I worked with a personal trainer at Golds. It was about $600 for 12 one hour training sessions. Being a sceptic, I wasn't thrilled with the idea but my husband did it and convinced me to give it a try. I'm like most people here. I go to the gym couple times a week, try to eat right and figure if you couldn't lose any weight you just need to be more diligent. But.....I have to say personal training does help, especially if you're in a rut and need fresh workout routines. It helps also to have someone mentally push you to eke out a few more reps. The only bad thing is that most trainers don't or can't advise you on nutrition. So it's almost like you need not only a trainer, but a dietician as well if you want to really see results.

Old 05-13-2010, 06:34 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,821,217 times
I brought up this topic as someone who is in top-shape and is looking/wanting for more... I completely understand that this city is still in the birthing stages of fitness. I support ANY new development: Love that Planet Fitness is making it affordable to workout in a clean, bright environment (and plans on opening nearly 20 more in the area in the coming 8-10 years).

As a member of PF, as well as Spectrum, I use their facilities daily. Love the Prue location of Spectrum, as it seems to cater to a more serious client (and one who re-racks their weights). I tried dealing with the elitist crap attitude at Spectrum Concord and Rogers Ranch, but watching folks do bicep curls while on their cell-phone just drove me insane. Not for me. I now and then also head to places like Olympic Gym and Red's. They're sweathouses, but you learn a lot if you can overcome the intimidation factor. Places like those are where I learned to perfect my squat form. As for personal training, it DOES help. Both for folks like me who need some new, more insane routines now and then to break it up and for those who need the motivation of spent money to get into the gym and break a sweat.

In any event, great discussion. Keep er' going

BN

Old 05-13-2010, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas View Post
Love that Planet Fitness is making it affordable to workout in a clean, bright environment (and plans on opening nearly 20 more in the area in the coming 8-10 years).
Got any news on where future locations will be?

Old 05-13-2010, 08:17 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,711,475 times
The best advice I can give someone who is just starting out with an exercise routine is to hire a professional trainer for at least 1 month. You need to make sure you're using good technique and doing the exercises correctly. You'll use this as a solid foundation for the rest of your life--so make sure you do it right in the first place and don't waste any time from then on out. A lot of guys just come in and load the plates on the barbells and give it all they've got---until they bust at the seams and blow a load:/ You've heard it before..."no I don't do squats anymore 'cuz I have bad knees"...etc...well gee, if only you knew what you were doing in the first place.

There are some crazy and interesting characters in the gym....and guys remember...if a girl has headphones on, she doesn't want to talk to you, lol.

Yea, you can workout at home...but that gets old REALLY QUICK. I used to have a nice setup but after a while you just need to change up your routine and do something different. I ended up selling my equipment in less than 1 year. Boo. I could've saved a lot of money by working out at home, but I thought the $30-$50/month investment for a gym is an expense well worth having. One less meal to eat out per month. No big deal.

Old 05-14-2010, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
The best advice I can give someone who is just starting out with an exercise routine is to hire a professional trainer for at least 1 month. You need to make sure you're using good technique and doing the exercises correctly. You'll use this as a solid foundation for the rest of your life--so make sure you do it right in the first place and don't waste any time from then on out. A lot of guys just come in and load the plates on the barbells and give it all they've got---until they bust at the seams and blow a load:/ You've heard it before..."no I don't do squats anymore 'cuz I have bad knees"...etc...well gee, if only you knew what you were doing in the first place..
You raised an interesting point I never thought about. Thanks!

Old 05-17-2010, 02:52 AM

126 posts, read 425,233 times
Olympic Gym behind the original Fudruckers, its a great place to get your motivation back. Bring your lifting straps and grip chalk and $35 for your monthly fee if you don't want to pay the initiation fee. Warning, you may never want to return to a "fitness center" after you have been there a few weeks. Very friendly and supportive crowd there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio