Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 07:15 AM

41 posts, read 135,144 times

Advertisements

Hello forum users!

Quick background info on me: I'm originally from a suburb of Western NY. Moved around quite a bit, lived in Las Cruces, San Antonio, Seattle, WNY, Richmond, Scottsdale and most recently Pittsburgh, PA.

My children are grown and I am about to approach 50 however I am an active AARP member!

When I lived in San Antonio I lived in both an apartment and a house. I prefer SFH living. I have a good amount of cash flow and I am married.

I am a suburban married woman who enjoys newer neighborhoods. I am looking for an area that is close to the type of area that Scottsdale, AZ is like.
If anyone is familiar with Scottsdale, I lived (for 7 years) in the Desert Mountain High School area.

When I last lived in San Antonio I was in my 20's and enjoyed club hopping, going to Schlitterbahn, 6 flags, Austin, Corpus, etc. I enjoyed my time living there.

Since it's been so long since I've last visited (about 10 years ago) and spent most of my time on the Riverwalk like a tourist, I am wondering what sage advice can be offered to someone considering a move back to the area.

Some questions I have at this time are:

Where are the more affluent areas? 78257 is very wealthy as far as I know.
Are Old Dominion (?) and Stone Oak still considered great? (I'm not wealthy, but would like to live near by so I could pretend to be. LOL)

What area is considered most sought after? (N, S, E, W?)

I remember North Park Mall (?) but when I visited last, people were telling me that the area is no longer desired.

In your opinion (which means you are entitled to say what you feel and I will not take offense) what are the pros and cons of these different areas?

IYO what is for favorite SA activity and why?

IYO what public school district is bet - any consistent blue ribbon school areas?

What is the political arena like? Does SA lean more left or right?

I"ll stop there because I've just asked a ton of questions! (sorry)

Thank you in advance to anyone who is available to answer these questions.

Last edited by NowWhere; 05-17-2010 at 07:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2010, 08:11 AM

One more inquiry *sorry*
What about golf communities? Where would those be located? Any favorites?
Any links that can help me find the answers to my own questions?
Yes, I've goolged. LOL

Old 05-17-2010, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowWhere View Post
Hello forum users!

Quick background info on me: I'm originally from a suburb of Western NY. Moved around quite a bit, lived in Las Cruces, San Antonio, Seattle, WNY, Richmond, Scottsdale and most recently Pittsburgh, PA.

My children are grown and I am about to approach 50 however I am an active AARP member!

When I lived in San Antonio I lived in both an apartment and a house. I prefer SFH living. I have a good amount of cash flow and I am married.

I am a suburban married woman who enjoys newer neighborhoods. I am looking for an area that is close to the type of area that Scottsdale, AZ is like.
If anyone is familiar with Scottsdale, I lived (for 7 years) in the Desert Mountain High School area.

When I last lived in San Antonio I was in my 20's and enjoyed club hopping, going to Schlitterbahn, 6 flags, Austin, Corpus, etc. I enjoyed my time living there.

Since it's been so long since I've last visited (about 10 years ago) and spent most of my time on the Riverwalk like a tourist, I am wondering what sage advice can be offered to someone considering a move back to the area.

Some questions I have at this time are:

Where are the more affluent areas? 78257 is very wealthy as far as I know.
Are Old Dominion (?) and Stone Oak still considered great? (I'm not wealthy, but would like to live near by so I could pretend to be. LOL)

What area is considered most sought after? (N, S, E, W?)

I remember North Park Mall (?) but when I visited last, people were telling me that the area is no longer desired.

In your opinion (which means you are entitled to say what you feel and I will not take offense) what are the pros and cons of these different areas?

IYO what is for favorite SA activity and why?

IYO what public school district is bet - any consistent blue ribbon school areas?

What is the political arena like? Does SA lean more left or right?

I"ll stop there because I've just asked a ton of questions! (sorry)

Thank you in advance to anyone who is available to answer these questions.
Nobody?

Old 05-17-2010, 01:29 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,032,679 times
Most of us are at work. That is just way too many questions to deal with until this evening.

Old 05-17-2010, 01:31 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,122,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowWhere View Post

IYO what public school district is bet - any consistent blue ribbon school areas?.
Some of the top school districts (in no particular order) are Northside ISD, Northeast ISD, Alamo Heights ISD.

North Star Mall is still alive and kicking and it seems pretty crowded on the weekends with shoppers. Central Park Mall is no more (torn down) and a shopping center type of place called Park North is in its place with an Alamo Drafthouse, Target and other restaurants and stores. The area was struggling for a while, it seems as if Park North has added some fresh air to the area.

Old 05-17-2010, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet09 View Post
Some of the top school districts (in no particular order) are Northside ISD, Northeast ISD, Alamo Heights ISD.

North Star Mall is still alive and kicking and it seems pretty crowded on the weekends with shoppers. Central Park Mall is no more (torn down) and a shopping center type of place called Park North is in its place with an Alamo Drafthouse, Target and other restaurants and stores. The area was struggling for a while, it seems as if Park North has added some fresh air to the area.
Skeet - you are my new best friend!

Which of these malls is considered nicer? Are there any outdoor living type shopping? (I forget the technical name for them) I was looking at houses in the 85257 zip code, not sure if that area is any good still.

Sapphire, you are right. I'm off today so I am being a bit impatient. Sorry about that.

Old 05-17-2010, 01:57 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,122,320 times
Aww,thanks!
I don't know much of the other questions. Most of my free time is with my doggie, watching movies, playing video games, couch potato stuff.
The Shops at La Cantera would be your outdoor living type shopping. The Shops at La Cantera - Outdoor Shopping, Dining, Entertainment in San Antonio, Texas
Oh and you wanted to know about areas. The up and coming area that I can think of is Alamo Ranch (151/1604) middle class/upper middle class. Stone Oak is still a great place for relocation for many and many new developments are spreading further north of Stone Oak. The Dominion is on the established side but not much bustling activity going on when it first opened.

Old 05-17-2010, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet09 View Post
Aww,thanks!
I don't know much of the other questions. Most of my free time is with my doggie, watching movies, playing video games, couch potato stuff.
The Shops at La Cantera would be your outdoor living type shopping. The Shops at La Cantera - Outdoor Shopping, Dining, Entertainment in San Antonio, Texas
Oh and you wanted to know about areas. The up and coming area that I can think of is Alamo Ranch (151/1604) middle class/upper middle class. Stone Oak is still a great place for relocation for many and many new developments are spreading further north of Stone Oak. The Dominion is on the established side but not much bustling activity going on when it first opened.
I hope this job thing goes through, I'd really like to move back. On a side note... anyone know Cecilio G. Rodríguez? I used to work for him recruiting sales people to sell Vita-Craft cookware. He was a really nice man who treated me like a daughter. One of his sons borrowed my car when he came to school in Buffalo, NY. Friggin hysterical. Don't know if it's the famous one...

Old 05-17-2010, 02:12 PM

615 posts, read 1,075,601 times
You probably want to be on the north side of town, probably north of 1604 on hwy 281. That's where most of the upper middle class people live. Or maybe in one of those small but expensive homes behind the Quarry mall. There is a golf course there too. Another area is around Boerne, west of SA on I-10. That's kind of a formerly country, exurban area.

As for politics, San Antonio is kind of tolerant, I think, but most people in the nice areas we listed are conservative.

Old 05-17-2010, 02:17 PM

693 posts, read 1,502,385 times
I know plenty of liberals in northern SA. During the last presidential election SA went to Obama. I'd say SA has a mix of liberals and conservatives in every area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio