Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 08:37 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,019,120 times

Advertisements

A twinkie and a big red are just about as nourishing as a bag of baked Lay's and a Coke Zero. Sure, there's more calories but who cares when you're rotting your gut out? Oh, that's right, Mrs. Skully cares.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 08:44 PM

3,770 posts, read 8,288,551 times
MMMmm twinkie

Old 05-18-2010, 08:49 PM

93 posts, read 358,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvlpr View Post
So think the vendor has the right to dictate what's sold in city facilities, but the chief executive officer of the city doesn't? Uh, okay.
That's how it works in the breakrooms in State buildings. We get whatever the vendor feels like bringing in.

While I understand what she's doing, I don't think it will make a difference. It's just a news maker. And I can see them being phased back in either in another administration or because the vendor isn't selling as much.

I don't understand the idea of no regular coffee in meetings, though. There's lots of studies about coffee being good for you...

Old 05-18-2010, 09:13 PM

4,323 posts, read 7,228,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by follie View Post
That's how it works in the breakrooms in State buildings. We get whatever the vendor feels like bringing in.

While I understand what she's doing, I don't think it will make a difference. It's just a news maker. And I can see them being phased back in either in another administration or because the vendor isn't selling as much.
I am also wondering how this will impact the vendor.

If employees don't like what is being substituted, they will more than likely bring their own, or purchase from nearby non-City establishments. That means the vendor's sales suffer. I wonder if they'll want to renew their contract?

When my former employer had vending machines put in our break room, the vendor published a list of available items, and asked that employees vote for their favorites. The items getting the most votes were the ones that they would put in the machines. After all, why fill them with a bunch of items nobody's going to buy?

Old 05-18-2010, 09:16 PM

3,542 posts, read 8,243,304 times
Alright, I'm confused. I don't see anywhere where the city is banning the consumption of fatty foods/sugary drinks.

I see benefits on at least 2 fronts: vending machine addicts will get slimmer & fatty food lovers will waste less money on overpriced vending machine food.

Old 05-18-2010, 09:17 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,880,155 times
It just means I have to take my own regular full leaded Pepsi and Moon Pie to work to enjoy with my chili dog at lunch. It;s cheaper than buying vending machines junk anyway.
I'm not overweight, have no health conditions, so I don't care. It's just an inconvienience that if I want something full leaded I have to take it to work with me.

Old 05-18-2010, 10:03 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,406,200 times
One other thing.

They're replacing blood-sugar spiking (sugar) sodas for poisonous neurotoxic diet sodas that contain aspartame.

Gee, this is really healthy .

I'm not necessarily in agreement with what they are doing but if they really wanted to do something right on this, they'd get rid of the sodas and just have 100% orange, apple, pineapple and grape juice in the vending machines. I drink orange juice everyday along with a little of diluted organic apple-cider vinegar (with the "mother") and I love it.

Again, I'm not saying they should do this but that would actually be healthier than their diet soda changeover plan.

Old 05-18-2010, 10:03 PM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
When my former employer had vending machines put in our break room, the vendor published a list of available items, and asked that employees vote for their favorites. The items getting the most votes were the ones that they would put in the machines. After all, why fill them with a bunch of items nobody's going to buy?
Same at my work. Every so often the vendor will leave a list of new items in our break room, and we can make suggestions. It gets old to have the same stuff all the time. We have several vending machines and there is a good balance of junk and not-so-junk food/beverages there.

Old 05-18-2010, 10:53 PM

95 posts, read 206,352 times
I love when fat people get all upset over actions like this. I missed the part where it said city employees weren't able to bring their own sugar filled drinks or go to a store and buy them.

Old 05-18-2010, 11:02 PM

18,123 posts, read 25,266,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
Sculley targeting junk food (http://www.mysanantonio.com/health/no_more_coke_but_diets_ok_94033414.html - broken link)
So why is everybody crying and complaining about this?
Aren't they talking about the vending machines that they own?

The can put V8s in their machines if they want and I wouldn't give a .......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio