Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 04:31 AM

370 posts, read 882,267 times

Advertisements

Hello,
Looks like my new place will indeed be 'gated', (I initially was anti-gated anything because it has such negative connotations to me but, I'll worry about it later).

I found out that I am expected to be in Texas by the middle of July, (soonest I could make it is the third week) so I figured I'd better get an apartment PRONTO.

After searching online I chose one in Wilshire Woods because it is so close to BAMC and because I could do everything online and by telephone and they had a place that took cats.

Hoping for the best.

All and any advice or words of wisdom, (good or not so good) are welcomed. I read the ratings and review at the rental site and they only had a 50% support. Seems that some tenants had very bad experiences. At least going in I know to just be weary, leary and wise.

Gen-a soon to be Texas resident, (and maybe turn out to become a "Texan" myself, if it works out that way)

Old 06-16-2007, 11:02 AM

2,649 posts, read 7,437,451 times
Oh NO NO NO, Wilshire Woods Is GHETTO!!! Try to get out of it! You are making a huge mistake! Please do yourself a favor, don't rent there. If you need to be close to BAMC look at an Oakwell Farms area Apartments. I am serious don't go to Wilshire Woods.

Old 06-16-2007, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smuboy86 View Post
Oh NO NO NO, Wilshire Woods Is GHETTO!!! Try to get out of it! You are making a huge mistake! Please do yourself a favor, don't rent there. If you need to be close to BAMC look at an Oakwell Farms area Apartments. I am serious don't go to Wilshire Woods.
Hello,
Before contemplating your review, could you please describe what ghetto means to you?
Thanks,
Gen

Old 06-16-2007, 02:04 PM

19 posts, read 129,724 times
Default Check out the crime..

I was curious to see just how ghetto it was too. I could not find any pictures of ghetto conditions, but that is not something they would advertise.

I did go to MySA.com: Crimebase (http://crimebase.mysanantonio.com/index.cfm - broken link) and typed in Harry Wurzbach as the street and 78209 as the zip. It pulled up over 200 police reports for that area. Just FYI.

Old 06-16-2007, 09:22 PM

790 posts, read 1,880,267 times
I'd seriously look into the Oakwell Farms area. I lived in Lakeside Villas for a while -- it's just a bit further down the road. There are also three other nice complexes in that area, but the names are not coming to mind at this moment. I know for sure that Lakeside allows animals [I have a dachshund]. I'd highly recommend reconsidering Wilshire Woods. Don't let the "gated community" feature make you think it's a cozy enclave.

Old 06-16-2007, 09:27 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,437,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gennaver View Post
Hello,
Before contemplating your review, could you please describe what ghetto means to you?
Thanks,
Gen
Try rampant drug use among residents. Old oldsmobiles on cinder blocks in the parking lot. Balcones falling off of the buildings. They advertise "FREE COLOR TV W/APPLICATION" Every thug kid/ druggie that went to my middle school lived in that complex or the Trailer Park that used to be across the street from it.

Old 06-17-2007, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austindoxie1972 View Post
I'd seriously look into the Oakwell Farms area. I lived in Lakeside Villas for a while -- it's just a bit further down the road. There are also three other nice complexes in that area, but the names are not coming to mind at this moment. I know for sure that Lakeside allows animals [I have a dachshund]. I'd highly recommend reconsidering Wilshire Woods. Don't let the "gated community" feature make you think it's a cozy enclave.
Hello there,
Actually "gated community" has always had negative connotations with me. I do not like them.

However, since I have no option I am at least glad to have the heads up that it will be about the same as I am used to now, and to be cautious.

Initially I was thinking to live in Kirby but, after advice from the group here people sent me running. Now it seems that anyplace is just as bad as the next place.

Hopefully I can be safe for the year lease that I might sign. I figure that I can always try to find a nicer place once I am there.

In the past I've mentioned that living in Chicago I've lived in some 'rough' or risky areas and some nice areas. I know how to duck when I hear shots out the window! I will be careful.

I also know to keep your screen door locked and to NOT just open your door to anyone who knocks and to keep all items of ANY value whatsoever out of your car...as well as any identifying features that a woman is the driver, (i.e. no hairbands or clips or anything girlie). I also know not to make eye contact with just anyone who might be oogling you too. Hopefully I will survive the year. One thing that I do absolutely hate though is the smell of crack from neighbors and needles on the sidewalk though, I do so hate that. OH! and crack prostitutes as neighbors because they are so desperate that they leech out to anyone and will indeed try to get into your apartment thinking that you might be a trick for a meeting, real forward advertisement.)

Is any of that going on at Wilshire Woods?
Gen

Old 06-17-2007, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smuboy86 View Post
Try rampant drug use among residents. Old oldsmobiles on cinder blocks in the parking lot. Balcones falling off of the buildings. They advertise "FREE COLOR TV W/APPLICATION" Every thug kid/ druggie that went to my middle school lived in that complex or the Trailer Park that used to be across the street from it.

Hi,
Okay, by rampant drug use by the tenants, do you mean smoking, shooting up and layin out on the lawns and porches with 20 ouncers?

Building disrepair is something to remember, I won't go on the patios, (yet, sadly we've had a bit of an epidemic in posh areas of people partying on patios and patios collapsing causing deaths).

Thug kids and druggies from your 'middle school' lived there. What age is middle school, 10-14? Yeah, I do know that youth gangs are a problem, I will be cautious-I mean this, troubled juvenilles are sad and can be vicious, I've seen a couple doosies.

Yet, I'm not swayed to running like I was from the Kirby reviews. I will heed your advice though and be cautious.

Gen

Old 06-17-2007, 08:21 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,019,120 times
Gennaver, what exactly would cause you to go running from an area? I'm asking this sincerely, because all of the things mentioned that happen at Wilshire Woods would make me do that! I understand tolerance, but I sure don't want my kids or myself surrounded by such negative things. I am not trying to be combative, just truly wondering why these things would be tolerable to you when there are other, safer, more enjoyable choices?

Old 06-17-2007, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Gennaver, what exactly would cause you to go running from an area? I'm asking this sincerely, because all of the things mentioned that happen at Wilshire Woods would make me do that! I understand tolerance, but I sure don't want my kids or myself surrounded by such negative things. I am not trying to be combative, just truly wondering why these things would be tolerable to you when there are other, safer, more enjoyable choices?
Hi,

edit to start over.

Your comments were received in a postive question Sapphire.
The only thing that caused me to go "running" was the repeated comments from members here.

I am in no desire to be a participant in the "flight" of a neighborhood. After thinking about this, I really am sure that even if th neighborhood is in decay or depressed or tired and seen better days, it is no matter to me.

Really probably the only thing that would make me run from there is if it is more dangerous than places I've lived already.

The crime stats show that it is safer.

As for enjoyable, that is relative. If people do not move into or stay in a neighborhood who are solid community members then what happens to good community members who cannot readily or easily move? Should the young mom with school aged children be forced to have a risky neighbor simply because no other solid community members are going to move in?

No, that is not fair to the community members who have no other option.

I'm going it, to try it out, and not for any sort of gentrification attitude, (besides it doesn't sound to me like the community has hit rock bottom let alone ready to make the trendy move upwards).

Gen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio