Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 07:31 AM

759 posts, read 3,690,146 times

Advertisements

There is something about our yard/lot and we have always had more than a normal amount of mosquitos. We don't have standing water, we keep our yard very nicely maintained. We also don't have a bunch of ivy or anything. We do have a greenbelt behind us... but our lot is pretty big (almost 1/2 acre) and the green belt is a decent distance from our patio. I took my daughter outside yesterday morning around 9am to play in the sprinkler and she was bit 3 times!!! In the morning!!!
Last night my husband used a fogger, and then a Raid yard spray and we were still attacked. It's terrible... not so bad for me, but I hate to see my little girl covered in bites.
What really works? I'm going to buy a few citronella plants in hopes that they might help (can you even buy/plant them in SA? My cousin in St. Louis suggested that.)
Any other tips? we have a beautiful backyard and love to sit outside. The mosquitos are driving us IN!
Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2010, 07:41 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
Make sure you and your neighbors don't have anything that holds enough standing water that mosquito eggs could be hatching in. Tires, birdbaths, rain gauges all hold enough water to hatch mosquitoes by the dozen.

Garlic powder sprinkled around your patio will help keep them away during an outing. I buy it by the gallon at Costco just for this purpose.

Old 05-31-2010, 07:46 AM

1,035 posts, read 2,340,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren0319 View Post
There is something about our yard/lot and we have always had more than a normal amount of mosquitos. We don't have standing water, we keep our yard very nicely maintained. We also don't have a bunch of ivy or anything. We do have a greenbelt behind us... but our lot is pretty big (almost 1/2 acre) and the green belt is a decent distance from our patio. I took my daughter outside yesterday morning around 9am to play in the sprinkler and she was bit 3 times!!! In the morning!!!
Last night my husband used a fogger, and then a Raid yard spray and we were still attacked. It's terrible... not so bad for me, but I hate to see my little girl covered in bites.
What really works? I'm going to buy a few citronella plants in hopes that they might help (can you even buy/plant them in SA? My cousin in St. Louis suggested that.)
Any other tips? we have a beautiful backyard and love to sit outside. The mosquitos are driving us IN!
Thanks!!!

think everyone is suffering this year (we certainly are!)...mosquitos are just horrendous with all that rain we had. Honestly, the only time we had a reprieve from those nasty buggers was after I had all our trees trimmed. Didn't see them for months after that...but then they came back. In force.

It's the darn fruit flies that are reeeeaaaallllyyyy driving me bonkers right now. They are everywhere!!! Argh.

Old 05-31-2010, 08:50 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,409,476 times
they are horrible! Holy crap!

Old 05-31-2010, 09:22 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,036,574 times
Front page news today on foxnews.com:

FOXNews.com - Epic Spring Rains Spawn Mosquito Emergency

Guess everyone's suffering this year.

Old 05-31-2010, 01:03 PM

12,114 posts, read 15,005,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
Make sure you and your neighbors don't have anything that holds enough standing water that mosquito eggs could be hatching in. Tires, birdbaths, rain gauges all hold enough water to hatch mosquitoes by the dozen.

Garlic powder sprinkled around your patio will help keep them away during an outing. I buy it by the gallon at Costco just for this purpose.
Does it make the area smell like garlic? I'm ready to try anything.

Old 05-31-2010, 01:06 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper1 View Post
Does it make the area smell like garlic?
It does. It makes the area smell like an Italian restaurant. Maybe that's why I've never seen mosquitoes in an Italian restaurant?

Supposedly certain plant-eating bugs are repulsed by the smell of garlic, so it helps to use it in the garden, too. Make sure you get garlic powder and not garlic salt. Salt is bad for plants!

Old 05-31-2010, 01:13 PM

12,114 posts, read 15,005,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
It does. It makes the area smell like an Italian restaurant. Maybe that's why I've never seen mosquitoes in an Italian restaurant?

Supposedly certain plant-eating bugs are repulsed by the smell of garlic, so it helps to use it in the garden, too. Make sure you get garlic powder and not garlic salt. Salt is bad for plants!
As long as it doesn't give me heart burn!

Old 05-31-2010, 04:13 PM

1,671 posts, read 3,842,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren0319 View Post
Thanks!!!
If you live in the City Limits you can call 311 and ask for the COSA Health Department VECTOR Control. If the Greenbelt is Public Property they can spray. I don't know if BC has any arrangements with the COSA when it comes to spraying. If it is Private Property I would still call and express your concerns. I don't know what type of enforcement powers they have but anything is worth a try.

Although many folks do not like the thought of eletrocution of any living creature I would buy a Bug Zapper. There is no seewter sound when your outside. Home Depot sells two made by Stinger (a leading brand) in both 1/2 and 1 acre sizes if I recall the prices are $26-$42.00 .We had an acre one for 3-4 years then it went out. I purchased a 1/2 acre last weekend and to tell you the truth I don't like it. Although it works it is not attracting the bugs like the 1 acre did. I'll take it back this week.
*Lowes and WalMart also sell them.

Last edited by wellguy; 05-31-2010 at 04:55 PM..

Old 05-31-2010, 06:00 PM

1,671 posts, read 3,842,502 times
I called both Lowes and the Home Depot at 1604 /Culebra after my last post. Both stres are SOLD out of Zappers. That tells us all something.
I saw on the Lowes website an Ultra Bug Zapper by Stinger for $45.97. It has a black light with is supposed to attract 40% more bugs than the white light zapper. It is approx $10.00 more but to me it sounds like it's worth it.
Lowes has a neat feature on their webpage where you can check store stock. I called the Bandera Rd Lowes after seeing that they had 8 in stock actually they had 10 so that feature appears to be fairly accurate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio