Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 08:47 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,404,222 times

Advertisements

Just had to bump this up. We've been hearing the Katydids like crazy this month! I almost forgot what the heck they were.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 09:46 PM

99 posts, read 223,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Just had to bump this up. We've been hearing the Katydids like crazy this month! I almost forgot what the heck they were.
Thanks for the bump and reminder. We're near Grey Forest, and these guys are all over our property.

They do make quite a bit of noise (sounds to me like "eeeEEEEEEEEK!"), but not so much that it bothers me.

Old 05-24-2012, 10:08 PM

4,062 posts, read 5,644,222 times
I guess the green katydids will start later on. The red katydids have been on EVERYTHING...they're mostly the adult kind now.

Old 05-24-2012, 10:37 PM

1,366 posts, read 4,487,306 times
We have had quite a bit of green katydids here at our house... There was one on our rock in our outside entryway... One in the garage that must have gotten into the stuff the exterminator sprayed because it was bee-boppin' along the floor, walked into a corner and then walked like it was drunk into the middle of the garage floor and fell over and died... I've seen them outside by our garden hoses, on the fence, etc... They are everywhere and yes, they are loud...

Old 05-25-2012, 06:04 AM

734 posts, read 3,015,619 times
We have green and brown (red?) They have invaded the exterior of our house! Hundreds and hundreds are out there. Our kids like to pretend the brown are attacking our house, and the green are protecting it However lately, the green haven't been around as much. The green were here earlier in the spring. According to my kids the green are nice - they hold them. The brown bite they say. Who knows the truth to that! Then, I saw a June bug last night... their seasons are overlapping! I think the amount of rain has created many more this season. The birds are happy though!

Old 05-25-2012, 06:47 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,875,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle_Mom View Post
I think the amount of rain has created many more this season. The birds are happy though!
The birds sing so loud at night you really cannot hear the cries of the cicadas and katydids as the birds feast on them. Sounds like an aviary. Nice!

Old 05-25-2012, 02:37 PM

334 posts, read 915,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountryHotRodMan View Post
Time for bugs! And let's not forget the June Bugs! You go outside, just minding your own business and suddenly.... WHOOSH they are flying at your head!
Or you're trying to fall asleep, when you hear the buzz-bump-buzz of a june bug that managed to slip inside and is now bouncing off your walls and ceiling.

Old 05-25-2012, 04:42 PM

409 posts, read 1,033,999 times
I think they call them chicharras...or chicharrones...

Old 05-25-2012, 05:09 PM

1,361 posts, read 2,272,434 times
They are CICADA but my husband grew up on the south side and he always say chichada so you probably heard someone say it that way. I grew up on the north side and called them locust as a child. We finally switched to cicada (since they aren't the same at all) but we mispronounced it---SICAYDA instead of SICAHDA. Alas, my tinnitis sounds like a cicada moved into my head so I haven't even noticed the other sounds this year.

Saw an ugly "red" katydid at church Sunday. I've seen a few green ones before but not that weird brownish one. What I'm not looking forward to are those big ugly gray flying bugs that show up Aug/Sept. My husband says they are stink bugs but my mother told me they are blister bugs so I hate them. I could never find an accurate picture online to verify. Don"t think they make any sound though.

Old 05-25-2012, 07:22 PM

391 posts, read 687,970 times
I did not think our server room was the appropriate habitat for
one of these things when I discovered it in there... so I stepped on it.

Nice mess on the floor. It appears the outer shell broke and this liquid
oozed out onto the floor... almost like a cream filled chocolate easter egg.

Ugh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio