Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2010, 07:43 PM

141 posts, read 754,333 times

Advertisements

Hey everybody...

Me and a couple of my friends are flying to San Antonio in 2 weeks to see our friend graduate from the Air Force, and we're staying a few days more for a little vacation. I'm still looking for the right hotel to stay in but I know absolutely nothing about SA. I'd like to know where the safest/nicest areas of town are, where we could get a reasonably priced hotel. Someplace with things to do nearby. All the hotels I've looked at around Lackland AFB look pretty sleazy. Pretty much the same on the east side of san antonio. Are there no pretty, safe, suburban-looking areas in san antonio? I'm from Florida, where suburbia is all over the place. I guess that's what I'm used to and what I'm looking for.

Also, any suggestions on any attractions and things to do in SA that don't cost that much would be helpful. We're going to be on a limited budget.

Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 08:05 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,989,445 times
Stay away from the places near Lackland, there's not much to do there.

If you've never been to SA before, spend the cash and stay downtown on (or near) the Riverwalk. That way you'll be near everything that you'll want to do during your first visit, and it'll all be within walking distance.

Old 06-04-2010, 08:07 PM

144 posts, read 360,232 times
If you are just looking for a no-frills place to sleep that is clean and safe, then I can recommend the Holiday Inn Express right near the airport on 410. We just got back from a trip, and it was just perfect. I booked through Hotwire and got $57/night. We were pretty much out all day and night and just came back there to crash, and it was very comfortable, plus it's a good jumping off place to get to pretty much anywhere.

Otherwise, how about checking into VRBO.com to see if there is a house or condo you could rent? There is stuff all over town, including down by the Riverwalk...

Old 06-04-2010, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Stay away from the places near Lackland, there's not much to do there.

If you've never been to SA before, spend the cash and stay downtown on (or near) the Riverwalk. That way you'll be near everything that you'll want to do during your first visit, and it'll all be within walking distance.
I'd love that, from what I've seen the riverwalk looks really nice, but like I said we're on a pretty limited budget and can only stay in a hotel that's about 50-60 a night

Old 06-04-2010, 08:40 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-town View Post
I'd love that, from what I've seen the riverwalk looks really nice, but like I said we're on a pretty limited budget and can only stay in a hotel that's about 50-60 a night
I stayed a few times at Pear Tree Inn Airport,
I think we payed about $50-60 and the hotel was ok.
I think that they are kind of cheap, because a huge overpass was built next to them and it's really hard to see from the highway.
Pear Tree Inn Airport - San Antonio‎ - Google Maps

The bad thing is that you'll have to pay for parking if you go to downtown.

Old 06-04-2010, 08:47 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,122,320 times
If you don't rent a car, you can always use public transportation if you do decide to stay near the Airport. Best if you stay at a hotel that's close to a bus route. Bus takes about 30 minutes into downtown. I can't think of any hotels in your price range that would be closer to downtown.

Old 06-04-2010, 09:06 PM

So far, the only hotels I have seen that are half-decent and in our price range is the quality inn fiesta park, 10950 Laureate Drive (nw part of town I think) and the microtel inn, 3911 I 35 N (northeast). How are the areas around both of those places? Is it relatively clean, restaurants, things to do, etc.?

Old 06-04-2010, 09:53 PM

9,851 posts, read 13,698,680 times
Quote:
So far, the only hotels I have seen that are half-decent and in our price range is the quality inn fiesta park, 10950 Laureate Drive (nw part of town I think) and the microtel inn, 3911 I 35 N (northeast). How are the areas around both of those places? Is it relatively clean, restaurants, things to do, etc.?

The hotel on Laureate, if you're going to rent a car, is probably an okay place. If you're going to do public transportation I'm sure there are a few bus stops that will run you to the Crossroads park and ride and then take y'all where ever you need to go. There are lots of restaurants in the area and it's a few minutes from Six Flags Fiesta Texas. Hop on 10 and you should be downtown in about 15 minutes (which is good compared to some of the outer areas of the city).

I'm not sure I can say many nice things about the second area of town, sorry.

Old 06-04-2010, 10:44 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
Quote:
I don't think that you are going to find much around the area of that Microtel (I-35 close to AT&T Center and Splashtown)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio