Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 02:14 PM

790 posts, read 1,881,215 times

Advertisements

Thanks Steel Man -- you're right about the celing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 06:36 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,329,732 times
I don't know much about it, I just know it exists because I have heard our accountant talk about it, and we had to remove it in order to rent our house. Our property manager gave us a form to remove it, since we will be renting our house and not living in it, it doesn't count as a homestead.

What I understand, if real-estate value skyrocket (yeah right), they can only increase your assessed value by 10%. That keeps you from having to pay taxes on a $150,000 one year, and then $300,000 next year. Which is a jump that people in California saw not to many years ago.

It's not that helpful when property values are only inching up.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:58 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,669,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
I don't know much about it, I just know it exists because I have heard our accountant talk about it, and we had to remove it in order to rent our house. Our property manager gave us a form to remove it, since we will be renting our house and not living in it, it doesn't count as a homestead.

What I understand, if real-estate value skyrocket (yeah right), they can only increase your assessed value by 10%. That keeps you from having to pay taxes on a $150,000 one year, and then $300,000 next year. Which is a jump that people in California saw not to many years ago.

It's not that helpful when property values are only inching up.
That is true; however, if you're renting the house and the Homestead Exemption was removed, then all bets are off and they can raise the appraised value by more than 10%. Of course, you can always protest the new value.

Technically, BCAD can raise anyone's appraised value by more than 10%. When you have the Homestead Exemption, then the amount over 10% is subtracted and the amount you are taxed on is the "assessed" value.

Old 07-19-2010, 12:44 AM

16 posts, read 22,740 times
Also the Texas Vet Land Board can help lower your interest rate when purchasing a home. It really helps out when you are a 30% or more disabled vet. It takes an additional .50% off of the going rate but can only be used for purchasing a home not refinancing. New construction has to be energy star certified.

VLB | Land Mortgages

Old 07-19-2010, 05:42 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,989,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanScott View Post
Also the Texas Vet Land Board can help lower your interest rate when purchasing a home. It really helps out when you are a 30% or more disabled vet. It takes an additional .50% off of the going rate but can only be used for purchasing a home not refinancing. New construction has to be energy star certified.

VLB | Land Mortgages

Just note that to be eligible, you have to have...

Quote:
Listed Texas as the home of record at the time of entry into the military OR must have been a legal resident of Texas for at least twelve consecutive months immediately prior to filing an application OR be on active military duty, stationed in Texas, and have changed his/her state of legal residency to Texas. The applicant must also be a bona fide resident of Texas at the time the application is made. (A "bona fide resident" is someone who is living in Texas with the intent to remain in Texas.) This may include a Texas resident currently serving on active military duty outside of Texas. Presence in Texas due solely to military service may not establish bona fide residency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio