Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 01:50 PM

18 posts, read 158,334 times

Advertisements

We may possibly be moving to CA in the near future for work related reasons. We currently live in CO, and i see the housing in Victorville/$$wise is comparable to where we currently live.

What can you tell me about Victorville? Crime? Education? Things to do?

Also, how long is the commute from Victorville to Hollywood?

And, if anyone reading this does construction, on average, what does an independent contractor (framing) make in the area?

Thank you all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2007, 06:23 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,446,365 times
Victorville is high desert. Its very hot and doesn't have a very good reputation as far as a good place to live. Commute time to Hollywood shouldn't be more than 20 minutes, in a helicopter. Forget trying it in a car.

Old 06-18-2007, 08:36 PM

119 posts, read 881,147 times
Victorille is the Largest of 4 towns in the High Desert aka Victor Valley. The state of California says the Victorvile population about 102,000 resident. Its located about 80 miles northeast Downtown LA on Interstate 15(aka Mojave Freeway). Its a nice area. Its near San Bernadino, Fontana, Ontario, about 50 miles from Riverside. Victorville get hot this time of year in high 90's-low 100 degrees. In the winter temperatures are in the high 30's-mid 50's during the day. At night temps could reach the high 10's -low30's(Being above 4000 feet theres a chance of snow flurries a few times a year.

Victorville and the VictorValley communities of Adelanto, Hesperia, Apple Valley, along with unincorporated area Oak Hills,Helendale, Baldy Mesa, Phelan, Pinon Hills Lucerne Valley area some of the most affordable areas in Southern California. Victorville region is one the few area a middle class family has the opportunity to own a home on a 1/2 lot under $500,000.These homes can found in Mountain View Acres/Mountian View Estates and Baldy Mesa on the Westside of I-15. Green Tree Golf Course, Old Town Victor and Spring Valley Lake Country Club on the east side and Golden Mesa above Tawney Ridge Lane and the Southside below Bear Valley Rd West of I-15.

Most of the Homes in Victorville are single family homes built in both in and outside Master Planned Communities. The Master Planned communities include Green Tree Golf Course/Green Tree East and Unincorporated Spring Valley Lake Country Club and the future Kemper-Campbell Ranch (aka Parkside) site east of I-15. West of I-15 includes Liberty Village, Brentwood, West Creek, Eagle Ranch, Vista Verde and future The Crossings planned developments, Golden Triangle areas on the Southside ; On the Northside communities include Pacific Village, Cypress Point and more.

Schools area decent, not the best mostly because of many low income families moving from LA and Orange Counites seeking a better way of life which affect test scores and grades. Victorville is served by several districts: elementary and some middle school Adelanto School District (West of Topaz Rd , North of Bear Valley Rd , East of Bellflower St), Victor School District (East of Topaz Rd, North of Bear Valley Rd, West of Hesperia Rd, Apple Valley Unified (East of Hesperia Rd, South of Mojave River, North of Bear Valley Rd) and Hesperia Unified School District (South of Bear Valley Rd between I-15 and Bellflower Street)and Victor Valley Union School District for some for Junior High and High School in Victorville. The best schools districts include
Apple Valley Unified and Hesperia Unified.

There issues of Crime and Gangs because like I stated earlier many low income families are looking for a better way of life certainly more affordable than LA,and Orange Counties allows. Unfortunately, families some with relatives that are active gang members move there. Crime is growing. It is not at LA or Orange Counties levels.(there may be a silver lining with the sub prime loans fall off may keep many from moving; however low income renters continue to move there thanks to section 8 voucher programs allows them rent homes and the lack of Apartments in Victorville[market rate and affordable{Victorville and Hesperia, Apple Valley and San Bernadino County are cleaning up section 8 violators and removing them off the rolls}] makes up the equation; not all low income families area bad. Like I said they want a better way of life I would move there If I wasn't leaving Cal. My parents are retiring there from nearly 30 years in Hawaiian Gardens a Long Beach Suburb with a much higher gang and crime rate.

Jobs in Victorville is mostly service jobs although good paying jobs can be found at Foxborough Industrial Park next to Spring Valley Lake on the East Side and the Southern California Logistic Airport a commercial only airport on the Northside near Adelanto City limits the city is trying to steer business with well paying to these area. Most people however still work Down the hill (what is referred to most of southern California bellow the San Bernardino and San Gabriel Mountains).

Entertainment is very, Very Limited well non existent. Most of the Inland Empire , High Desert and Antelope Valley does not have much night life. Victorville has a few bars, same thing for Hesperia and Apple Valley. Near by in Devore is the Hynduai Pavillion outdoor door concert venue 20 minutes away just of I-15. Concerts are held at the Auditorium at Victor Valley College. There are museums a small hand full split between Victorville and Apple Valley including The Victor Valley Museum and Art in Apple Valley. There is a small art gallery at Victor Valley College and the Route 66 Musuem in Victorville.

Shopping is found in Victorville at Victor Valley Mall. Additional shopping can be found along Bear Valley Rd From Spring Valley Lake Parkway to the Amethyst Rd.[eventually to Mesa View Dr in 5 years] and Other shopping area is along La Paz Dr,7th St and I-15, Along Palmdale Rd between Armagosa Rd and Amethyst Rd., Mojave Dr between Armagosa Rd and El Evado Rd. US Hwy 395 between Air Expressway and Bear Valley[Although most will be of the building will take place within the next 3 years] Most of the shopping in the Victor valley is up and coming; most upscale shopping is found in Rancho Cucamonga, Fontana and Ontario. Additional Shopping is coming on line this Summer and Fall at Apple Valley Commons in Downtown Apple Valley and High Desert Gateway Mall and Mountain Vista Plaza coming in 2008 to Hesperia and Adelanto Town Center in late 2009.

Overall the Victorville and high desert is a very good affordable area with some issue. If money no object look toward Apple Valley and Spring Valley Lake, Oak Hills southwest of Hesperia, and Phelan West of Hesperia. Most national builders are in Victorville and Hesperia local builders area in Oak Hills, Adelanto,and Apple Valley.

I hope this helps. Hgclyde

Last edited by hgclyde; 06-18-2007 at 09:02 PM..

Old 06-19-2007, 12:53 AM

18 posts, read 158,334 times
Wow! hgclyde, you have made my day! thank you so much for all the great info !!!!

(and by the way, "escapecalifornia" - i happen to LOVE the desert!)

thank you - i have so much more to go off of and research now!

Old 06-19-2007, 03:00 AM

332 posts, read 2,149,722 times
Crime in Victorville will only get worse. all the scum is being driven out of LA County and even places like Ontario by the high cost of living, and are taking their trash farther out to cities like Victorville and Perris. One of my colleagues lives in Victorville and is desperately trying to move out. he's had his house ransacked and cars vandalized several times. property values are falling tremendously -- he says he's lowered his house's asking price from 380k to 330k and still hasn't found a buyer.

Old 06-21-2007, 12:45 AM

259 posts, read 1,918,181 times
and when the windstorms come (which is often) it blows nothing but sand!

Old 06-24-2007, 06:28 AM

34 posts, read 164,101 times
The high desert area has a horrible meth problem. You couldn't pay me to live there....

Old 07-08-2007, 07:32 PM

6 posts, read 60,997 times
Victorville sucks! Very high crime, gangs, alot of drugs and absolutely nothing to do. Everyone is trying to get out, Everyone!

Old 07-09-2007, 08:31 PM

852 posts, read 3,814,137 times
Spent many years there, and my mom lived in Apple Valley until last year. If you inherit a nice property in Phelan/Wrightwood and can work from home, go for it. Otherwise, it will be a challenge on many levels. Schools, especially high schools in Victorville proper, are way below average; real-life jobs are quite scare to afford the still-pricey homes; neighborhoods don't evolve well because newer ones form every year or two; traffic is tragically clogged on the few primary arterials (Bear Valley, Palmdale, Highway 18); crime is not your friend, property and otherwise; and the weather literally runs hot and cold. Tread carefully.

Old 07-09-2007, 08:35 PM

636 posts, read 2,644,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Victorville is high desert. Its very hot and doesn't have a very good reputation as far as a good place to live. Commute time to Hollywood shouldn't be more than 20 minutes, in a helicopter. Forget trying it in a car.
LOL! Victorville to Hollywood commute!!!! Don't even think it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties